disobeying and reinforcement

chrisss

disobeying and reinforcement

Post by chrisss » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:17 pm

I am currently a a road block with training my 7 month DD. He knows his commands but when I transition it to the e collar he isn't obeying like he does on the check cord. For example when I put a check cord on him he obeys all commands with out applying pressure but when I take off the check cord and transition to the ecollar he disobeys and I can put the collar at a higher level but still no response from him. He been collar condition and just choses not to listen to the e collar. Any ideas on what to do?

RichK

Re: disobeying and reinforcement

Post by RichK » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:32 pm

Have you tried issuing the command while using the CC and e collar at the same time?

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:45 pm

Yeah, it sounds like you haven't transitioned to the e-collar properly and just dropped the CC and put the e-collar on. The dog doesn't have a clue.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:35 am

Is the collar actually functioning properly?

CTPaul

Post by CTPaul » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:09 am

Sounds like perhaps a step back may help out. My setter had a similar response to the ecollar. Instead of obeying the command he would stop on his tracks. It became clear that I had jumped the gun on the conditioning.

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:57 am

whoadog wrote:Is the collar actually functioning properly?

+1 on this.Is the collar on the dog properly.You say no response even when cranked up a bit.You should see some kind of response(ear twitch,muscle flex) even at a very low setting.
"a man has got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood

Chicago Blackhawks Six Time Stanley Cup Champions

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:40 am

Definitely make sure the collar is working, and that it has a snug fit so that you get reliable stim and don't have the risk of arcing.

Assuming it is working and on properly, the fact the he is not doing anything even at a higher level means, to me, your dog is actually just shutting down because it hasn't been introduced to the collar properly. Basically he's afraid to do anything, and doesn't understand yet that he can control the collar, more or less, by demonstrating desired behavior. So, if the collar is working, I'd have him wear it but not use it at all for a while, and then go back to transitioning at the lowest level of stim you get any reaction from.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:42 am

It is impossible to say for sure, but it certainly sounds like the dog has not connected the dots as far as the e-collar cue is concerned. I absolutely would not increase the stim level because all that will likely do is to condition the dog to higher and higher stim levels...and that ain't good.

The previous poster who said their dog just froze, gave a more common response to the e-collar from an incompletely transitioned dog. It may be that your dog is also showing confusion, but in a different way. I seriously doubt that a six month old bird dog pup is being stubborn or willful. DD's can be pretty stoic I think, but it serves no purpose to channel that stoicism toward ignoring the e stim.

In any case, it is apparent that the dog is not doing what you want without the checkcord on. If it were my dog, I would forget about the e-collar for now and concentrate on yardwork with a checkcord, with the goal of having the dog do the typical obedience behaviors heel, whoa, come, kennel, fetch, etc...with NO checkcord and no collar. When the dog is doing those behaviors cheerfully, happily and with enthusiasm...with NO checkcord and no prong or pinch collar and no e-collar...THEN you can proceed.

Always remember...you are on the DOG'S schedule. When the dog shows you they are ready...that is when they are ready. OUR schedule is irrelevant. OUR expectations of where a dog should be at any particular point in time is irrelevant. It is where the dog thinks it is that matters.

A six or seven moth old puppy is still just that...a puppy. Some dogs are still puppies at twice that age.

Messing with dogs is supposed to be fun. Try not to make it into a struggle. Keep it fun for both of you. Train a bit....play some then train a bit more. Quit with the dog wanting more. If things are not going well, don't fight it... do something else. When the dog WANTS to do what you want it to do, good things happen. Happy dogs want to do what you want them to do...not because they HAVE to...but because it makes you happy.

RayG

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:04 am

"Pressure" needs to be significant enough to make a change in behavior.
If the ecollar isn't making a change in behavior, you are just 'nagging' the dog -- you need to crank up the pressure.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:11 am

Do not crank up the pressure. Go back to earlier steps in training repetitions in short intervals and end on positive note...something the dog knows cold. Unless you are a pro on a time schedule forcing the e-collar is a bad idea...I for one am not that good. When the dog responds to simple commands off lead go back to thee-collar overlay, this dog is too immature for mistakes in correction, you have months before you could gauge out and out refusal in this dog.

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:25 am

RayGubernat wrote:...

The previous poster who said their dog just froze, gave a more common response to the e-collar from an incompletely transitioned dog. It may be that your dog is also showing confusion, but in a different way. I seriously doubt that a six month old bird dog pup is being stubborn or willful. DD's can be pretty stoic I think, but it serves no purpose to channel that stoicism toward ignoring the e stim....
RayG
I had somehow read into the O.P.'s post that the dog was freezing, when in fact he didn't say that. Sorry!

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:32 am

birddogger wrote:Yeah, it sounds like you haven't transitioned to the e-collar properly and just dropped the CC and put the e-collar on. The dog doesn't have a clue.

Charlie
+1. Dogs don't understand concepts very well. Overlay the collar.

Nate

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:33 pm

+100 to chukar12's post.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:43 pm

You can't just take the check cord off and put the collar on and expect the same response. As others have said keep the check cord on the dog, cue the dog with the check cord, and Overlay the command with the collar when you tap the dog with the check court. He has to connect the two together.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:18 pm

birddogger wrote:Yeah, it sounds like you haven't transitioned to the e-collar properly and just dropped the CC and put the e-collar on. The dog doesn't have a clue.

Charlie
x2
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:38 am

gonehuntin' wrote:You can't just take the check cord off and put the collar on and expect the same response.
I surprised that more people don't see the cc and collar as the same thing and put them on at the same time. From the first session, my pups are wearing both an e-collar(turned off) and a cc. It just makes more sense to me.