VIDEO: Pointer, Flush on Cue

Higgins

VIDEO: Pointer, Flush on Cue

Post by Higgins » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:27 am

Here is a young, finished pointer we're training to flush on cue in the UK style. This is a short clip taken from a video we're working on.

http://youtu.be/7AS45jbjEwE

The following is the information I included with the clip on YouTube. It will help explain the process.

"Here is a young Pointer learning to flush on cue. Or as I say, the dog is learning to "present the bird to the guns". I slowed the video down just as I give the cue (a quick movement of my shoulders toward the bird). I want the dog to believe that his stopping, after the flush, causes the gun to go off. He already knows that when the gun goes off, he will often be rewarded with the bird."

We filmed the entire process and plan on having the video finished in a few days. I'll post a link to it here if you like.

Brad Higgins
Higgins Gundogs

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Re: VIDEO: Pointer, Flush on Cue

Post by polmaise » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:25 am

Good stuff Brad.
Personally I wouldn't use a body movement as a trigger command to flush at that 'point' ,we humans are never consistent and the dog may interpret another similar body movement in a similar situation. A verbal command would be better? What's your thoughts?. You say you are processing the clip (look forward to it) Does the finished pointer remain steady to the 'Fall'?.and retrieve on command?
ps.
You are almost a UK citizen with the work progress :wink:
Best Regards
Robert

Higgins

Post by Higgins » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:35 pm

Hello Robert,

The dog in the video is Glenn. He is a year and a half old and is one of my Scottish imports. He was trained with my Higgins Method (including the Magic Brushpile) and is steady to flush, shot and fall. He also honors, stops to flush and has a natural retrieve. He now also understands to be steady to flush, shot and fall after flushing the bird on cue.

We started training him to flush on cue (the UK style) earlier this week. This dog took about 4 sessions and a total of 5 to 6 birds. This training went quickly because, as I suspected, the dogs saw this new cue the same way he see the "fetch" cue (a release to chase birds).

The training began with the handler walking up from behind, to the dog on point. When ready, the handler said "sic em" and ran in with the dog to flush the bird. At the same time, the shooter also made a flushing movement toward the bird. In the dogs mind, the pack is attacking the prey. After the flush, I stopped him with a check cord just before the gun went off. I want him thinking that his steadiness causes the gun to go off. The shooter would then bring the bird (the reward) back to the dog. As the training continued, the check cord came off and the gun only went off when the dog stopped after the flush.

This went well. We have a stylish, natural, aggressive flush with none of the issues associated with pressure or obedience. I'll have the video ready soon and you can see the process from start to finish.

Brad Higgins
Higgins Gundogs

h&t

Post by h&t » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:42 pm

Good stuff, interesting transition, good thinking :)
the dog nearly got the chukar :)

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:56 am

You put together some really nice video's brad. One noticed the dog almost caught the bird. I noticed the dog stopped to flush, good job. A lot of people get caught up in shooting the bird and have no idea where their dog is from the moment the bird flush's on. Imagine the dog continuing to chase that bird and jumping at it at the shot, the bird didn't look all that high. I keep wondering how some people keep from shooting their own dog. Good job Brad!!!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:32 pm

DonF wrote: I keep wondering how some people keep from shooting their own dog.
Likewise, it's an anomaly this doesn't happen more frequently (thankfully) especially at preserves, with late flushing birds and careless shooters.

Brad,
Thanks for sharing.

smittty

Post by smittty » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:48 pm

great video as usual....I have been kicking the idea around of finishing a dog off that same way for sometime now ..as a matter of fact I have a young setter that's just about a year old right now that I may consider to turn out to flush on cue .if so any tips ...should he be solid to flush wing and shot first ..I would think? and how do you work in the command

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:20 pm

I think this is how a lot of pheasant dogs in particular end up, though not necessarily with the stop to flush. Great video.

I am curious as to what Mr. Higgins views as the main differences between falconry and hunting with a gun in terms of what's desired from the dog? Say, hunting wild chukar in CA/northwest NV/OR/Idaho with a hawk/falcon versus gun?

In terms of low birds, having been through an adult learning curve I was surprised how many species often don't show blue sky. I think headcam footage often exaggerates the angle, though, so that footage can end up looking like someone was at risk of shooting their dog when there was actually a good bit of separation.

I also agree that it might be better to ultimately put the flush on verbal cue, rather than hunch of the shoulders.

Higgins

Post by Higgins » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:05 am

smittty wrote:great video as usual....I have been kicking the idea around of finishing a dog off that same way for sometime now ..as a matter of fact I have a young setter that's just about a year old right now that I may consider to turn out to flush on cue .if so any tips ...should he be solid to flush wing and shot first ..I would think? and how do you work in the command
Hello Smitty,
Yes, I train the "retrieve on cue" and the "flush on cue" after a dog is steady to flush, shot and fall. Dogs consider retrieving and flushing birds to be chasing birds. I want them to understand that steadiness leads to success before I start allowing them to chase on cue.

You asked how I work in the command.
The training began with the handler walking up from behind, to the dog on point. When ready, the handler said "sic em" and ran in with the dog to flush the bird. At the same time, the shooter also made a flushing movement toward the bird. In the dogs mind, the pack is attacking the prey. After the flush, I stopped him with a check cord just before the gun went off. I want him thinking that his steadiness causes the gun to go off. The shooter would then bring the bird (the reward) back to the dog. As the training continued, the check cord came off and the gun only went off when the dog stopped after the flush.
Nutmeg247 wrote:I am curious as to what Mr. Higgins views as the main differences between falconry and hunting with a gun in terms of what's desired from the dog? Say, hunting wild chukar in CA/northwest NV/OR/Idaho with a hawk/falcon versus gun?
Nutmeg,

The main difference is in what the dog is expected to do after the flush. Most falconers want the dog to follow the hawk or falcon to be there quickly when the hawk makes the kill. Sometimes, wild hawks, seeing an opportunity to steal the kill will come in. We like the dog to be with the hawk ASAP to keep other birds away.

Brad Higgins
Higgins Gundogs

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:56 pm

Higgins wrote:
Nutmeg247 wrote:I am curious as to what Mr. Higgins views as the main differences between falconry and hunting with a gun in terms of what's desired from the dog? Say, hunting wild chukar in CA/northwest NV/OR/Idaho with a hawk/falcon versus gun?
Nutmeg,

The main difference is in what the dog is expected to do after the flush. Most falconers want the dog to follow the hawk or falcon to be there quickly when the hawk makes the kill. Sometimes, wild hawks, seeing an opportunity to steal the kill will come in. We like the dog to be with the hawk ASAP to keep other birds away.

Brad Higgins
Higgins Gundogs
Interesting. I have hunted with 3 different folks with falcons/hawks and all 3 of them wanted the dogs to be steady and they either sent them on a new search if the hawk missed or heeled/leashed them if a kill was made.

Soarer31

Post by Soarer31 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:32 am

Good job,
Good to see the flush on command catching on