Perfect Start video question

CoolHandLukeGSP

Perfect Start video question

Post by CoolHandLukeGSP » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:12 pm

I am using the Perfect Start to train my 5-month-old GSP. I am at the section where I am taking my dog out into the field to sniff out planted pigeons and I hold him on the check cord so he cannot catch the bird while I flush it and let him give chase. My question for those who have used this method is how long do I do this with him? Is there a goal I should be trying to achieve with him before moving on to putting pigeons in releases?

Thanks in advance.

Eric

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Perfect Start video question

Post by cjhills » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:01 pm

Letting the puppy play puppy games and grow up a bit will make it way less stressful on you and the dog. We don't use a check cord in the field on young puppy. We just do yard work training and let him chase or whatever he likes to do in the field. we do recall with treats in the field. At about six months we shoot a bird or two so he gets the idea.........................Cj

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:53 pm

You can do that as long as you want, but the goal is to make sure the dog is excited about birds and not afraid of them. I would say more would be better than less on any of the steps in PS. Don't try to advance to quickly, but make sure the pup understands the step you are on before moving to the next. If you do that you should find that when you get to the PF video the harder things will be easy. I loved taking my pup through the video step by step. I capped it off by attending one of Jon's clinics. Having gone through the video series I got so much more out of the clinic.

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:48 am

Plant the birds so they can fly away when the dog tries to catch. Take him off the CC and let him play. My experience is when on CC they want to pull and attempt to get bird. Once off CC, after about 2-3 times of not catching, and not being restricted, they begin to point. More birds, better holds. My GSP is also 5 months old.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:39 am

Ditto what Fundog says. I have learned more from the clinics than anything else I've ever done with dogs (and I've done a lot!). I'd budget for one of the clinics and get there for a great learning experience.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:37 pm

Why don't you call Jon Hann and ask him? If it were me...I'd go straight to the source.

It is his method. I should think no one would be in a better position to give you advice on how and when to proceed. I should also think that no one would be more interested in making sure you and your dog succeed with the Perfect Start.

Betcha the Hanns will find the time to talk to you and address your concerns. From everything I hear about them, they are dog people, and dog people like to help other dog people.

RayG

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:43 pm

RoostersMom wrote:Ditto what Fundog says. I have learned more from the clinics than anything else I've ever done with dogs (and I've done a lot!). I'd budget for one of the clinics and get there for a great learning experience.

X2

I have been to two clinics at perfection kennels well worth the money, and its really not the far of a drive

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:37 pm

Hey, if I can make it from Alaska...

CoolHandLukeGSP

Post by CoolHandLukeGSP » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:24 pm

RayGubernat wrote:Why don't you call Jon Hann and ask him? If it were me...I'd go straight to the source.

It is his method. I should think no one would be in a better position to give you advice on how and when to proceed. I should also think that no one would be more interested in making sure you and your dog succeed with the Perfect Start.

Betcha the Hanns will find the time to talk to you and address your concerns. From everything I hear about them, they are dog people, and dog people like to help other dog people.

RayG
I have tried to email him in the past but have had no luck getting a reply.

CoolHandLukeGSP

Post by CoolHandLukeGSP » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:26 pm

Fun dog wrote:Hey, if I can make it from Alaska...
:D

Meller

Post by Meller » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:36 am

RoostersMom wrote:Ditto what Fundog says. I have learned more from the clinics than anything else I've ever done with dogs (and I've done a lot!). I'd budget for one of the clinics and get there for a great learning experience.
What does one of his clinic's run in price?

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:58 am

Hahn's number
816-649-5207

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:24 am

CoolHandLukeGSP wrote:
RayGubernat wrote:Why don't you call Jon Hann and ask him? If it were me...I'd go straight to the source.

RayG
I have tried to email him in the past but have had no luck getting a reply.
Not everyone likes using emails to communicate. That seems to be especially true of dog folks. Try the phone.

RayG

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:13 pm

Jon and Jessica are pretty much outside from dawn till dusk training dogs. Not much time for computer stuff. I believe the clinic is $650. For four days. Plus birds. Jon is amazing with both dogs and people.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:59 pm

They start a clinic tomorrow - so you won't be able to reach them until sometime next week I would say (Friday thru Monday is clinic). Have you checked out the website for info? www.perfectionkennel.com

CoolHandLukeGSP

Post by CoolHandLukeGSP » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:45 pm

So I went ahead and tried to email him again with the question I posted here and he actually replied the very next morning. This was his reply:

You are looking for the pup to be confident and very excited! Then move to releases.

Please feel free to ask, if any other questions.

Thanks for the nice comments.

God Bless

Jon Hann
26542 212th St
Gallatin,MO 64640
816-649-5207

Very nice reply and to the point. I like that,