Reason Why I like Pen Raised Birds

Grange

Reason Why I like Pen Raised Birds

Post by Grange » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:10 pm

The trial I had been planning on attending this weekend was cancelled due to weather so I decided to take some quail and do some training instead. I'd much rather run on wild birds, but pen raised birds offer some challenges that wild birds rarely offer a dog. Below are three videos from today that show a challenge for my setter that I almost never see with wild birds.

First video is a poor flying quail that didn't really fly. After I shot this video I went and was able to pick up the bird while my setter stood throughout it all.

Second video is a bird that just doesn't want to flush. I've seen this with pheasant in fresh snow and young grouse, but it is not very common and I don't count on a wild bird doing presenting this challenge. I tried three times to relocate my setter with the first two times she didn't want to move. The third time she moved about 1.5 feet and locked up again. That's how I was sure she was pointing the bird not the feathers that were there. I will say I was surprised the quail flew so well.

Grange

Re: Reason Why I like Pen Raised Birds

Post by Grange » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:18 pm

The third video is a quail that runs at my setter and then flushes right at my setter. Like the last video this has happened with wild birds, but it is not common and I really can't plan for it. With poor flying pen raised quail this is a lot more common. I happened twice this afternoon. Now I wasn't thrilled with my setter's style after the flush and shot, but at least I trust that she won't break. Which I can't say for my lab :oops:.

Anyone else have a video of the challenges of pen raised birds?

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:30 pm

http://youtu.be/PzyxsnMidSU

This is fall 2012 I think when he was just steadying up pretty reliably for me.... the birds do not help, or they do depending on the way you view it I guess :roll:
(and hey I forgot I had this video... this is the dog I have for sale, but he is better and steadier now)

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:32 pm

I love wild birds but it sure is nice to see a pen raised bird walking around in front of a pup/dog that I have been training and the dog standing steady without moving a muscle. 8)

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way