Silhouette for backing training

tasi devil

Post by tasi devil » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:46 pm

anybody use pop up pointing dog silhouettes for backing training ?
are they effective ?
reason being I mostly train by myself & am having issues as a consequence of my dog honouring another dog on point.
I will have to make one up & buy a Tri Tronics receiver to match my launchers TT G3
have looked at some videos of their use & also combined with a bird launcher.

...........tasi
i'm from under down under

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Silhouette for backing training

Post by Sharon » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:48 pm

I made one once. Make sure you have a blowing tail - streamers?

Then I figured out that 2 people could do a better job then a silhouette and it costs much less.

One dog is over the hill on point with a handler. The other person brings the trainee on a longish leash up over the hill and whoas him on site ---- other handlers flushes / fires etc..

Do this .............times over hills , around corners, coming out of a gully , different locations etc... and you have a dog that honors. ( Switch from cc to e collar at some point.)
Cost= a couple coffees.:)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Gooseman07

Post by Gooseman07 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:01 am

I made one last summer but I didn't have the remote on it. I had to plant it around corners, over hills, etc like Sharon said. I then borrowed a remote one from a buddy. The dog got used to it within two weeks like he could almost anticipate when I was going to pop it. He was backing at like 100 yds.

Then I went to a real dog and he would blow them off because they didn't look like the backing board, weims, vizslas, any long haired dog he wouldn't back because the board looks like a white GSP.

I spent the first part of last summer working with the backing board and the rest with real dogs, you can't really simulate a real dog.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:52 am

Some dogs back a silhouette very well and some look at and seem to think it is a wooden dog. You need to be sure there is always a bird. Don't over do it.........................Cj

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:06 am

P3160031.JPG
P3170039.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:09 am

IMG_3173.jpg
P3210050.JPG
Great tool around the house
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grange

Post by Grange » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:17 am

I have a remote backing dog and it really helped my setter. I still use my father's brittanies to help train backing, but the remote backing dog offered a more controlled setting and I could train by myself.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:23 am

Remote would be helpful for sure but doing it on the sly around corners, hills, etc seems to translate into the field - dare I say with a bit more intensity too..

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:38 am

i am in the same boat now most of the time training by myself. i laid one of my dogs on a peice of plywood and traced him out. Then i painted white which might be a problem and am going to change to gray.
I carry my silouette with me, when the dogs get around corner where they cant see me i stake the silouette out. Then on the way back i lead them to it, once they are backing , i carry some pigeons to release while they are backing.
I like the picture silhouette. Only a shorthair could run a lathe.
Take Care
Pete

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:23 am

Spot on liver color for a GSP & for those inclined to make their own
lab.tiff

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:48 am

Tooling wrote:
IMG_3173.jpg
P3210050.JPG
Great tool around the house
Now that creative! MIne looked more like a grade 9 woodworking project. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:08 pm

Well executed perhaps but I can't take credit for the creativity, I had seen a post somewhere that somebody had done something similar - might have been this site, not sure. In either case it's made of scraps and a forty dollar photo enlargement....so forty bucks and although the photo is covered with lexan (painted on the other) it is not impervious to water so therefore it is not weather resistant.