Garmin Alpha

Genochemist

Garmin Alpha

Post by Genochemist » Sun May 04, 2014 6:32 pm

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, but not to training with e-collars. Just got a new Garmin Alpha, and I'm wondering if it's working correctly (it pairs and tracks on the GPS just fine) but the e-settings don't seem right. I have to set the linear stimulation up to 12 before I get any response out of my 9-month old female Vizsla. I'm watching her very closely for any signs but nothing up to 12 and she's jumping out of her skin and vocalizing. The collar is tight and up high. I know every dog is different, but this seems excessive and unnecessary. Any advice or what typical settings do people use and get a response?

Thanks.
SAM

skyehunter

Re: Garmin Alpha

Post by skyehunter » Mon May 05, 2014 11:55 am

I have seen a similar post on another forum and experienced the same observation. A software update was the suspected cause of change. The Linear Stim function was reduced and seems to be what you are describing. i.e. requiring you to turn it up quite a few levels to get the same level of stimulation as would be expected. I myself and a training partner noticed this change as of the update, probably 6 months ago or so. So, after some research it seems normal....at least that was our conclusion.

The settings I use on a VERY sensitive dog is 8 momentary and 13 Continuous.
My training partner with a hard headed GSP is + a few on his settings, i think 13M/16C

natel24

Post by natel24 » Tue May 06, 2014 3:28 am

Off topic but Skyhunter that is a great avatar photo
natel24
"My dogs not perfect, but i'm not a perfect shot either."
"I'd rather go hunting without a gun than without my dog."

skyehunter

Post by skyehunter » Tue May 06, 2014 8:09 am

Thanks natel24

NLsetter

Post by NLsetter » Wed May 07, 2014 6:55 pm

My Irish setter is a level 2-3C and a 5-6M. I have only had to use a 10+ C for trash breaking on moose and Caribou. Most times a 2C is enough. Are you seeing nothing at all and then at 12 the dog is yelping?

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri May 09, 2014 6:30 pm

I would take the collar off the dog and test it out on myself.

I don't have an alpha, but an e-collar is an e-collar.

You should be able to detect the continuous stim at very low levels on the back of your hand or on your neck. I would try the palm of the hand first, then, if no sensation, the back of the hand. You should be able to detect momentary stim at low levels on the back of your hand. I have a DT unit that I can not detect the lowest stim on the back of my hand but can only detect that lowest level stim on my own neck.

I would check out the unit to see if it is functioning correctly. You should be able to tell the difference between stim levels, especially if you use the continuous. Momentary might be a little more difficult to gauge the difference between levels.

Once you have determined whether or not the unit is working properly, you can proceed or make a phone call, as needed.

RayG

Putt4Doe

Garmin Alpha

Post by Putt4Doe » Mon May 12, 2014 8:52 pm

I'm looking at buying an alpha also, but before I plop down $800, I'm wondering if this got resolved. Any updates?? Thanks!

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Mon May 12, 2014 9:24 pm

Mine works flawlessly.
Put it in your hand and test it. Down in the 1,2,3 area I don't always feel it much, but by 5 its pretty noticeable.

I would guess that you are not getting good skin contact .
Steve

twistedoak

Post by twistedoak » Tue May 13, 2014 5:09 pm

I run an alpha unit .
all in all I like the unit but it does have a steep learning curve.

one thing I found is the collar unit needs a satellite signal to function.
so if you want to desk top tinker with the e collar functions you need to go outside.

another thing I found is the training buttons have 2 different ways of operation
traditional and linear ,there is a difference in how the 2 modes work.
I don't know if its a software glitch or by design ,but if its by design I can figure out why.

as far as I'm concerned the linear function is broken , I can get no reliable results in this mode ,
setting seem to change ,buttons not work as intended or at all and when I do a result its harsh.
linear is using it on a 1-18 scale.when playing with it by hand I can't notice current at all from 1-10 then it shocks the crap out of me at 11 on up to 18
I also cant get the tone function to work

however in traditional mode it works flawless
traditional is the mode that has a
low 1-6
med 1-6
high 1-6
each button is set individually for moment, continuous or tone
my dog responds to a low 2 when in tradition mode .its also the only mode I can get reliable tone function

my only complaint so far with the unit is the lack of a button lock on the training button adjustments

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue May 13, 2014 8:28 pm

What a great first time post. Welcome. I'm saving that one.:)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett