I can't get over how many mistakes I made in the 80's

Mumpy

Post by Mumpy » Wed May 07, 2014 6:32 am

Granted I was just a young pup myself when I purchased my first bird dog (18) (I'm now 47)

So, in the early 80's I purchased my first Bird Dog and was stationed at Fort Drum NY as a Private, during that time I spent my off duty time training my puppy and spent 4 years at Fort Drum hunting Grouse and Pheasant in upstate NY. Purchased my second Bird Dog in early 90's and started doing NSTRA trials with him while stationed at Fort Benning GA. My training techniques didn't change much from 80's to 90's. In 14 days I pick up my 3rd Bird Dog, it has been what, 20 years or so since I had a Bird Dog and I am VERY Excited. I am reading daily about training and I CONTINUE to find things where I screwed up in the past.

I definitely didn't know Whoa shouldn't be used when training on birds

You shouldn't stroke the dogs tail while on point?

Anyway, as I said, I'm excited to get back into the sport of hunting Birds and looking forward to spending the next 12 or so years with my new best Hunting buddy, but I'm also glad I have the Internet to gain knowledge about training my new dog like I've never had in the past.
Recognizing that I volunteered as a Ranger...

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: I can't get over how many mistakes I made in the 80's

Post by Sharon » Wed May 07, 2014 12:28 pm

I consider my first dog my "learn what not to do " dog. :).. poor thing. Thank heaven I didn't have an e collar to make the situation worse .( I didn't know enough to use it properly.) Not that I'm all knowledgeable now , but thanks to forums like this I'm better.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mask

Post by mask » Wed May 07, 2014 12:45 pm

Maybe you didn't make that many mistakes but Sharon does make some great points. Get a good book on training if you haven't already. Dave Walker or Mo would be a good start. Find a good program and stick with it. Don't believe everything you see on the internet because rest assured you will find plenty of bad info along with the good. Good luck with the new pup, thank you for your service. I was at Fort Benning in 1968 but that was what, about a 1000 years ago. Anyway have fun with the pup.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed May 07, 2014 6:08 pm

mask wrote:Maybe you didn't make that many mistakes but Sharon does make some great points. Get a good book on training if you haven't already. Dave Walker or Mo would be a good start. Find a good program and stick with it. Don't believe everything you see on the internet because rest assured you will find plenty of bad info along with the good. Good luck with the new pup, thank you for your service. I was at Fort Benning in 1968 but that was what, about a 1000 years ago. Anyway have fun with the pup.
+1 on the statement that you may have not made as many mistakes as you think. But if it is on the internet, it has to be true. :wink: You will find a lot of good advise on here though.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu May 08, 2014 3:07 am

Sharon wrote:I consider my first dog my "learn what not to do " dog. :).. poor thing.
:lol: That sounds like me all over again ! :lol:

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu May 08, 2014 6:41 am

There are as many opinions as the are trainers. what works for me might not for you and what you think of as a mistake I might not.
I don't see a issue with stroking up the dogs tail on point. I don't think it helps but I don't think it hurts. Once the dog is whoa trained I wouldn't see a issue with using whoa while training on birds. In fact I guess that would be why he is whoa trained. Don't whoa train on birds .
You can get a lot of good info on here, but you still need to work out your own system and be willing to change to fit the dog. It is not making the dog fit your system it is making your system fit the dog. Dogs are very forgiving. Good Luck.................Cj

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu May 08, 2014 7:50 pm

cjhills wrote:There are as many opinions as the are trainers. what works for me might not for you and what you think of as a mistake I might not.
I don't see a issue with stroking up the dogs tail on point. I don't think it helps but I don't think it hurts. Once the dog is whoa trained I wouldn't see a issue with using whoa while training on birds. In fact I guess that would be why he is whoa trained. Don't whoa train on birds .
You can get a lot of good info on here, but you still need to work out your own system and be willing to change to fit the dog. It is not making the dog fit your system it is making your system fit the dog. Dogs are very forgiving. Good Luck.................Cj
Good post!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sat May 10, 2014 5:20 am

LOl this post brought back many memories. Like the first pup, Field Bred ESS I bought from Jack and Marie Watkins in Southern Ohio.
And I ask the question well, How do I train this dog' Jack wryle reply "This is your first Spaniel if your real good you'll learn what not to do". Now it was a 7 hour ride home with that pup and those words rang in my ear most of the trip home.
When I got home my wife ask me the same question that I had asked Jack and Marilyn, My answer is one that I still use to day some 35 yrs and 100's of pups and dogs later, Honey, he is a really nice pup, unfortunately he did not get pick his owner!

Every one of these little fur balls is a journey, enjoy the ride!
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

TonyS

Post by TonyS » Sat May 10, 2014 11:40 am

I don't know what breed of dog you are training but for llewellin setters, Alfred King specifically advised stroking their tail when on a point. With more than 40 years with the breed I think he knew what he was doing.

And as far as whoa training on birds, after you have done the yard work, how do you expect your dog to know what to do? Maybe he can watch a video by some great highly paid 'trainer' or read one of this trainer's books.

Mine? After yard training he went out in the field over planted birds. Those he refused to whoa on flew away. He didn't like that. Did not take many birds to figure it out. Now, I may get bit in the butt if I don't shoot his bird but he whoas without any 'trainer' expertise.

Bud Savoie

Post by Bud Savoie » Fri May 16, 2014 7:04 am

There may be some truth to the old saying: you always ruin your first dog.

Mumpy

Post by Mumpy » Mon May 19, 2014 1:02 pm

Bud Savoie wrote:There may be some truth to the old saying: you always ruin your first dog.
Could be some truth to it, but my first dog turned out awesome. He did everything I ever wanted or expected from him.
Recognizing that I volunteered as a Ranger...

Donnytpburge

Post by Donnytpburge » Mon May 19, 2014 7:40 pm

My first dog trained me!!!
Db

Bluesky2012

Post by Bluesky2012 » Tue May 20, 2014 10:52 am

Honestly you learn a lot if not more from the mistakes if you take the time to analyze them. If my dog had done it perfect up till now I wouldn't have been forced to learn so much. Is he a dang competent hunter, absolutely. Is it from my training as a first timer? No.
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"

dsmtsi

Post by dsmtsi » Tue May 20, 2014 3:18 pm

Mumpy wrote:

I definitely didn't know Whoa shouldn't be used when training on birds

I keep hearing this, why? I'm not saying whoa the dog into a point but once it's pointing what is it going to do?