flagging

flatwoods man

flagging

Post by flatwoods man » Thu May 08, 2014 6:22 pm

I would appreciate it if anyone could give me some suggestions about how to correct flagging. what is odd to me if he finds a bird out in the open he will point and not flag at all. But if he finds it in thick cover he will usually flag. any suggestion will be appreciated.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Re: flagging

Post by birddogger » Thu May 08, 2014 7:47 pm

How old is he? From what you say, I doubt there is a problem. I don't think he is flagging but just birddy and doesn't quite have it pinned down.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Thu May 08, 2014 8:00 pm

birddogger wrote:How old is he? From what you say, I doubt there is a problem. I don't think he is flagging but just birddy and doesn't quite have it pinned down.

Charlie

I think this is likely the case as well.
If this is a young dog, it may not be real sure of itself yet,
Steve

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu May 08, 2014 8:20 pm

Plus if you're talking to the dog be quiet. That'll cause flagging as quick as anything.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri May 09, 2014 10:44 am

When he finds them in the open, can he see them? Flagging can be an indication that the dog wants to see the bird or push it to where he can see it.

You can try launchers and pop the bird on him in cover. Sometimes, depending on where he is in training, you can push him into the bird and get him to make it fly, then make a correction for the bump. Do it like a relocation.

Flagging can also indicate an inability to handle the pressure of the birdwork whether that pressure comes externally or from his own brain. Keeping your mouth shut and watching your body language will help eliminate one source; the other is harder to manage. If you can convince him that if he's still, the bird will fly, you have it made.

Good luck.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri May 09, 2014 11:51 am

gonehuntin' wrote:...if you're talking to the dog be quiet. That'll cause flagging as quick as anything.
Odd thing is that my setter (3 yrs old) will flag a bit if we are far away from each other. As soon as he hears me singing or wooopin' he will tighten up. I believe older dog flagging is man-made. If this dog is young, I think it is due to uncertainty. JMO

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri May 09, 2014 3:26 pm

PntrRookie wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:...if you're talking to the dog be quiet. That'll cause flagging as quick as anything.
Odd thing is that my setter (3 yrs old) will flag a bit if we are far away from each other. As soon as he hears me singing or wooopin' he will tighten up. I believe older dog flagging is man-made. If this dog is young, I think it is due to uncertainty. JMO
Dogs are amazing. I'd bet he's thinking : " He's far away. I'd better wag that tail high so he knows I've got the bird." Amazing.

So many reasons for flagging. For a "young" dog, I would ignore it.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

willt

Post by willt » Fri May 09, 2014 8:00 pm

If its a young dog its probably just figuring out all the new scent and knows theres a bird there just not sure right where its at. I wouldnt worry about it too much, the more they get out on birds in thick cover the more confident the dog will get and he or she will get it. Birds birds birds is the key. JMO!