newbie question

ffjoel7

newbie question

Post by ffjoel7 » Tue May 20, 2014 4:07 pm

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, and i would be grateful for advice from people who have experience w/ bird training. I have an approximately 3 yr old lab mix, and i've been working on force fetching w/ him for about 3 weeks. Id like to teach him to be a great gun dog, but i want to make sure i'm doing it the correct way. I've been using training from Freddy Kings you tube videos, and the dog is making great progress so far. Ive used the ear pinch to encourage him to "fetch", and he responds well. I've been keeping sessions short, and giving him praise when finishing. I'm having trouble progressing from the table to the ground. I have tried to transition from ear pinch to a very low stimulation on his E colllar, but he doesn't have much of a "drive" to retrieve the dummy. I'm not sure what the best way to go about training from this point. He has a great hold on the table and will respond if i use the ear pinch on the ground, but how do i get to where i can throw a dummy and tell him to "fetch" it w/ success?

Thanks so much for the help

Del Lolo

Re: newbie question

Post by Del Lolo » Tue May 20, 2014 8:18 pm

Forget youtube and get on a good modern program.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed May 21, 2014 10:37 am

Did you have him move on the table to get the object? If you didn't, why do you think he would on the ground? The only FF tape I've ever seem was delmar Smith's years ago. I have no idea what they say today. But with Delmars method everything had to be finished on the table before going to the ground and then you start all over again on the ground.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Wed May 21, 2014 1:41 pm

Del Lolo wrote:Forget youtube and get on a good modern program.
THIS! You Tube videos can be somewhat helpful. I have around 40 of them. But they are not programs in and of themselves. They are snapshots of training techniques at best. They are meant to provide insight, not replace a program. Do yourself and your dog a favor.

Image Click image for video

While you're at it, get the best. http://www.evan-graham.net

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

ffjoel7

Post by ffjoel7 » Thu May 22, 2014 8:40 am

I worked on the table for about two weeks, and I'm continuing to work there. I was under the impression that the transition would only take 4-5 days. I went ahead and purchased Evan FF, so thanks for the advice

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:18 pm

Glad you got the video series. The bad part of reading books with time perspectives is that not all dogs are going to progress at the same pace. The progression is usually very good. The steps in each progression is in the right order. But the dogs move at different paces. Keep the steps in order and the time line will take care of itself.