marking his territory

zink2013

marking his territory

Post by zink2013 » Tue May 27, 2014 7:41 am

I am having a problem with my yellow lab pissing on everything in the back yard i think i no why he is doing this is because my neighbor dog is pissing through the privacy fence he is a german shepard that never stops barking. i am just wondering if there is anything i can do to get him to stop pissing on my stuff i just put up a new canopy on my back porch and he has piss on all corner of it and also on my grill and all over the corners of my above ground swiming pool. my old lady was putting his e coller on him and was going to zap his "bleep" when he hiked his leg luckly i got home in time to prevent that. But any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: marking his territory

Post by shags » Tue May 27, 2014 9:34 am

Seems like you have to housebreak your dog in the areas where you don't want him marking. That means you can't just open the door and turn him out leaving him to do what he wants, where he wants. You'd have to take him out, allow him to relieve himself, then stand or sit around waiting for him to make a move to mark, then correct him. Just like you housebroke him as puppy for indoors. Maybe I'd use the collar on down the line when he was pretty reliable; he could wear it while you watched through the window/door and give him a nick ( not fry the poor dog) if he attempts to mark.

With the situation with the neighbor dog, I'd put a couple of posts or big rocks or something in the yard where you'd be OK with him marking. Some folks do not allow any marking at all, but I feel like dogs need to be dogs within reason and marking in an appropriate area would be all right with me.

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Tue May 27, 2014 10:06 pm

In my experience, some males like to pee on stuff more than others. As long as they don't do it inside, I usually don't care too much. But, they can be trained to not pee on certain items. I don't like our boys peeing on the trash cans or the side of the house. I yell at them when they do it and for the most part, all four of them have gotten the message. I SHOULD teach them not to pee on the truck tires, too. I guess I'm lazy about that. My husband just sprays something on the trucks that keeps the pee from ruining the rims. But, if you only have one dog, it's easier to teach him where NOT to pee. But, you do have to go outside with him every time until he understands. Good luck.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri May 30, 2014 10:02 am

He's a lab. Thats all those suckers do hahahaha
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr