best training dvd

llewellinsetter

best training dvd

Post by llewellinsetter » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:50 am

I pick up my new pup (german longhair) in august, my question is this. What will be the best dvd or dvds to help guide me? Not only to hunt upland but also fur and tracking.
The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler

aulrich

Re: best training dvd

Post by aulrich » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:33 pm

I am not sure there is a video that does all three. The "orange book"/DD puppy manual should be a decent start point, since that covers the prep for the German hunt test system which test includes all three. Normally about now I would be typing "look into joining your local NAVHDA chapter" and even though they don't cover all your looking to do, they will have the birds facet down, and depending on how new you are can be very helpful for you learning how to train.

If there is a fur hunt training video it won't be in English since most North American hunters don't hunt fur with their versatiles even though it is normal part of the job in Germany.

I think there was a recent thread where a blood tracking book was mentioned.

The book How to help dogs train themselves by Joan Bailey was useful to me as a first read when I started down this road.

Bluesky2012

best training dvd

Post by Bluesky2012 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:52 pm

The search button is a great start. Numerous responses to this question in the past.
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:14 pm

thanks for the response bluesy,i already tried the search and did not find a clear enough response for the question i had you have any other suggestions? aulrich Thank you for a helpful response ill check these out for sure.
The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler

Bluesky2012

best training dvd

Post by Bluesky2012 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:29 pm

To save a step, perfect start for upland. For tracking there aren't any big DVD sets but it's much easier. Just read some articles or a book.

I had a blood tracking thread on here a while back where I asked about it.

For fur, it's seldom discussed so ask those few who do it. They will point you in the right direction. I'm not a navhda guy at all but maybe it covers it.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:51 pm

I can't say the "best" but suggestions to consider/google:

POint! book by Horace Lytle

Perfect Start.Perfect Finish.

Great Beginnings" Hickox

Huntsmith DVD series:
puppy development
silent command system

Training with MO

No knowledge of fur tracking resources.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:52 pm

perfect start and finish, in my opinion is the best, put together dvd set out there for pointing dogs, also jon hann owner of perfection kennel puts on training seminar's at his kennel in Missouri, so you can spend a few days training with the man that created those dvds, he's a great dog trainer and also a great teacher

Training with Mo is a great book also, but I prefer dvd's over a book

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:21 pm

thanks guys, checking out perfect start prefect finish, and also checking out the evan G videos.

Bluesky2012

best training dvd

Post by Bluesky2012 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:41 am

Evans videos won't do anything for you unless you plan on duck hunting. Stick with PS/PF, don't mix training programs. It's dangerous to do that with such little knowledge.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:51 pm

For $30.00 + - there would be at least 9 sections on this DVD that would be very useful for any field dog without interfering with any other program, and even if retrieving is not what is wanted.
http://www.gundogsupply.com/smartwork-p ... m-dvd.html

•Socialization and Beyond
•General Field Protocols
•Beware of Excesses
•My Puppy Program
•How To: Tasks and Skills
•Operant Conditioning
•E-collar Conditioning

•Introduction to Gunfire
•Introduction to Water
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Bluesky2012

best training dvd

Post by Bluesky2012 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:37 pm

That one DVD by graham would be okay but I wouldn't consider it necessary at all. The big parts of that DVD are also covered in ps/pf.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:33 pm

ibbowhunting wrote:perfect start and finish, in my opinion is the best, put together dvd set out there for pointing dogs, also jon hann owner of perfection kennel puts on training seminar's at his kennel in Missouri, so you can spend a few days training with the man that created those dvds, he's a great dog trainer and also a great teacher
+1

I haven't seen them all by any means, but the step by step detail of the Perfection kennels series is about as good an instructional video as you can get IMO. I especially like the use of the editing on camera so that you know the instant Jon is applying stimulation thru the E-collar. Timing is so important and Jon shows us exactly when to use it.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:58 pm

I sort of mostly buy the find a system and stick to it but there is not really a system that will do a versatile front to back.

And also as a rule try to get a look at every system possible, you never know when you can pull a drill from one to get over a hump(they all skin the same cat after all).

PS/PF is one of the standards for upland steady, weak for OB and has no force fetch or waterfowl work. When you are looking at systems another thing to evaluate is do I have the resources to execute that plan , something like PS/PF basically need homers and a training helper. Other systems utilize carded/tethered birds and may need less time with a helper.

But you do have time, for now I would be looking for puppy sized fields, forests and water, to get the pup so you can get as much early exposure as you can after your August pick up and before the snow flies.

And you must post puppy pictures

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:39 pm

Well i was looking into the evan g series, because for breeding the longhairs you have to do some extensive testing to be approved to breed your dog, a major portion of it is blind retrieves and a lot of retrieving work. I do plan on picking one system and sticking to it. can i supplement with another system?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:52 pm

You should stick to one plan BUT: I did all the reading etc I could on general subjects like how dogs learn, socialization, introduction to the gun etc. Learn all you can from many resources, but stick to one specific plan. Sorry if that is confusing.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:53 pm

You should stick to one plan BUT: I did all the reading etc I could on general subjects like how dogs learn, socialization, introduction to the gun, reading your dog etc. Learn all you can from many resources, but stick to one specific plan. Sorry if that is confusing.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:12 am

OK that sounds like the German System, your breeder really should give you one of these but http://altmoor.com/catalog/BookVideo.html would be in order.

I would still recommend joining NAVHDA http://www.navhda.us/chapterinfo.aspx The test are not as extensive as the German system but totally compatible we have folks that test both systems in our chapter.

Bluesky2012

best training dvd

Post by Bluesky2012 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:04 am

End of the day socialize, make it a pointer, then make it a retriever. If you're worrying about meeting standards in order to breed a dog, you're in way over your head already at this point. Learn to make a hunting dog and then IF your dog is good, start later looking at breeding. Don't put the cart in front if the horse.

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:14 pm

Bluesky, im not worried about it but, I'm simply using the resource that this forum is I know i can achieve my goal with this pup. People on here have a ton of experience Im simply trying to use it to my advantage. And simply put my dog needs to be more than a pointer and retriever, though i do see your point and i understand it.

sharon i totally get what your saying :D