Best bird bag?

Waterdogs1

Best bird bag?

Post by Waterdogs1 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:56 pm

I am in need of a bird bag to plant pigeons and chukers. Who makes the best bag?? Sturdy and easy to use.
http://cottonwoodretrievers.com/ "Our Passion is Retrievers"

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: Best bird bag?

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:40 pm

I like the Dogs Unlimited bag the best. I have fat hands so I get the 10" or 12" opening and I often use it off a horse so I get the brass snap.

http://www.dogsunlimited.com/i/938/dogs ... rd-bag.htm

RayG

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:25 pm

RayGubernat wrote:I like the Dogs Unlimited bag the best. I have fat hands so I get the 10" or 12" opening and I often use it off a horse so I get the brass snap.

RayG
Good choice used many over the years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eGw4kmXxVQ
in this link I think I'm modeling a
http://www.gundogsupply.com/birbagtbisga.html
there all about the same in this country, depending on your usage you may want to have a couple of them ready to go when your training. At training I usually wear a couple of them at a time, carry 6-8 birds at once. In UK the game bag is a much more sophisticated piece of equipment and really built to last.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:02 am

gundogguy wrote: In UK the game bag is a much more sophisticated piece of equipment and really built to last.
Aren't we talking about two different types of bags here with two different usages ? I know a British game bag is designed for carrying dead game in but it isn't really suitable for carrying live birds such as pigeons in . I'd thought the "Bird Bag" as used in America was a purpose designed live bird carrier ? I would love to have a bag with a bird sized opening closed by some kind of one hand operable catch device but I don't think anyone in Britain makes or sells such a bag. I certainly haven't got one and struggle a bit with the little game bag I use.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:54 pm

Trekmoor wrote:
gundogguy wrote: In UK the game bag is a much more sophisticated piece of equipment and really built to last.
Aren't we talking about two different types of bags here with two different usages ? I know a British game bag is designed for carrying dead game in but it isn't really suitable for carrying live birds such as pigeons in . I'd thought the "Bird Bag" as used in America was a purpose designed live bird carrier ? I would love to have a bag with a bird sized opening closed by some kind of one hand operable catch device but I don't think anyone in Britain makes or sells such a bag. I certainly haven't got one and struggle a bit with the little game bag I use.

Bill T.

Bill -

There are several suppliers of "replacement" spring closers used in these bird bags. They should not be all that expensive to ship overseas, I would think. You can pretty much put the two .smaller sizes in a regular mailing envelope.

RayG

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:59 pm

Thankyou Ray , maybe I can have a better live bird bag after all.

Bill T.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:07 pm

Trekmoor wrote:Thankyou Ray , maybe I can have a better live bird bag after all.

Bill T.
Bill - both TBI and Dogs Unlimited sell the "replacement" spring closers in the various sizes.

RayG

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:20 am

Thanks again Ray. :D

Bill T.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:33 pm

Trekmoor wrote:

Bill T.
Yes. and Yes. Years ago when in Anglesey training with my host I used his game bag to carry live training birds The large flap that close the bag was very manageable and comfortable on shoulder and back!
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:53 am

Yes, you certainly could get a lot of live birds into a British style gamebag. I have 3 large gamebags and a couple of smaller ones. One of the large ones is probably of the type that you used here. That one is a fairly heavy bag and is very strongly made. I use it for "posh" days ! :lol: I used to be a postman and one of my other bags is the one I used as a postie many years ago. It is lightweight but very strong and it is my favourite bag......it doesn't look very "posh" though ! :lol:

Bill T.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:38 am

I like the lion country supply bag.