Commands You Use for SIT

Doc E

Commands You Use for SIT

Post by Doc E » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:15 pm

For those of you who train SIT, what commands do you use ?
We use Verbal, Whistle, Gun Shot, and Hand Signal (hardly ever actually used).

With my next dog, I'm also going to do the above as well as train SIT to the Duck Call.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Commands You Use for SIT

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:24 pm

Sit, or rather sit to stay, is one of the really tough ones for a retriever. Everything you can do is another aide. I never used the duck call, but I'm with you on the rest.

You know, I've never seen this addressed on nah post I can remember. Good job Doc.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:41 pm

With my next pup, I'll probably eliminate the Hand Signal SIT.
I have virtually never found it to be very useful.

and

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:09 pm

I found DOWN with a hand signal to be very useful. When a dog was coming in to a land blind with a bird, and another flight came in, it was handy to be able to down them on the way in with the bird.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:18 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:I found DOWN with a hand signal to be very useful. When a dog was coming in to a land blind with a bird, and another flight came in, it was handy to be able to down them on the way in with the bird.
Same here.

and

Swampbilly

Post by Swampbilly » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:19 pm

Haven't ever tried using the duckcall for SIT, but did try a hand signal for DOWN. But from a distance my signal looked too much like BACK!, it got too frustrating for me. ( more than likely" operator error" :wink: ).
So we just train SIT ,with whistle and verbal, proof and re- enforce with plenty of distactions (including a duckcall), until Rovers' conditioned to the point that when he hears it..it means continue to SIT and look out.

Sometimes on a retrieve and even on a return, ducks see the dogs' head as with the wake from swimming and try to lite right beside the dog. Funniest thing I've ever seen. Doesn't happen all the time but when it does, you don't forget it. If I hit the duckcall I just want the dog to finish the retrieve.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:20 pm

Never needed a whistle signal for sit. i used to teach my dog's to sit on command or with a hand signal. They also learned down with a hand signal and voice command. If your out shooting the bull with someone and your dog is along, it's nice to be able to plant the dog in one spot. But mostly I used both tricks to show off!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:03 pm

I use SIT, the whistle, wing and shot (ideally), and hand signal. The hand signal is just to reinforce the whistle sometimes. In all actuality, the hand signal is useless. If your dog looks back for hand signals it's not hunting very hard.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:54 am

I train a vocal SIT , a sit to hand signal for use nearby, a sit to a quiet "Sssss!" also for use nearby, a sit to whistle, a sit to shot and a sit if anything, including a dummy, moves through the air close to the dog.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:40 am

As long as the dog understands what you are communicating then you can sing dixie if that's what floats your boat :wink:
My old boy when waiting for Mallards coming in automatically sat when I lit a cigarette ! I think he knew I wasn't going to shoot anything because I opened the gun :roll:
I do train the dogs specifically to sit when I lift the gun into my shoulder. I also specifically train them to sit when I plant my stick in the ground ,this is also a Stay ! 8)
Over here I do a lot of 'Picking Up' I know you guys don't do this activity,but it sure helps with honour and steadiness when handling multiple dogs non slip while the action is on . It's also a handy place to hang your Hat :wink:
20120818-114212.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:37 am

DonF wrote:Never needed a whistle signal for sit.
So your dog is on a Blind Retrieve -- out 150 yards -- in Lunging Water -- and you don't need a whistle :roll:

and

Bluesky2012

Commands You Use for SIT

Post by Bluesky2012 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:42 am

Doc E wrote:
So your dog is on a Blind Retrieve -- out 150 yards -- in Lunging Water -- and you don't need a whistle :roll:

That's exactly what I was thinking. Never thought I'd need a whistle till water and wind came into play.
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:43 pm

Hmmm... whistle is the only 1 I couldn't do without. The others I use sporadically, but in an actual training or hunting situation its always just the whistle.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:24 am

polmaise wrote:As long as the dog understands what you are communicating then you can sing dixie if that's what floats your boat :wink:
My old boy when waiting for Mallards coming in automatically sat when I lit a cigarette ! I think he knew I wasn't going to shoot anything because I opened the gun :roll:
I do train the dogs specifically to sit when I lift the gun into my shoulder. I also specifically train them to sit when I plant my stick in the ground ,this is also a Stay ! 8)
Over here I do a lot of 'Picking Up' I know you guys don't do this activity,but it sure helps with honour and steadiness when handling multiple dogs non slip while the action is on . It's also a handy place to hang your Hat :wink:
20120818-114212.JPG
Wonderful pic! Though it made me think, why would I use a walking stick to hang me hat on? Would not me head be a better place for me hat! :D

Now if only we could get one those fine dogs to take the pics while you are out on the retrieve. Now that would be a picture to remember. :P
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:30 am

It depends on the activity. When training or hunting I would use whistle and voice. I consider hunting and extended form of the training or training a elevated level. When trialing whistle goes in the pocket and as for voice I practice the salesmen's creed "whenever you ask a closing question of your prospect....shut up!

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:33 am

gundogguy wrote:Though it made me think, why would I use a walking stick to hang me hat on? Would not me head be a better place for me hat! :D
It's for when I'm scratching my head :lol:

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:34 am

polmaise wrote:
gundogguy wrote:Though it made me think, why would I use a walking stick to hang me hat on? Would not me head be a better place for me hat! :D
It's for when I'm scratching my head :lol:
I should have known!! :) :)

drich2244

Post by drich2244 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:12 am

i like hand signals i run pointers so when i want them to stop its always woah but when they are within 15 20 feet i snap my fingers and they sit down i dont have to worry about anyone else telling my dog to sit or any of that

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:51 am

Bluesky2012 wrote:
Doc E wrote:

That's exactly what I was thinking. Never thought I'd need a whistle till water and wind came into play.
So your dog is out 150yds--in lunging water--and you give it a sit command? Maybe I don't understand what lunging water means?
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Bluesky2012

Commands You Use for SIT

Post by Bluesky2012 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:21 am

DonF wrote:
Bluesky2012 wrote:
Doc E wrote: So your dog is on a Blind Retrieve -- out 150 yards -- in Lunging Water -- and you don't need a whistle :roll:

So your dog is out 150yds--in lunging water--and you give it a sit command? Maybe I don't understand what lunging water means?
Yeah try a flooded rice field. Also whistle sit transitions to a dog treading water waiting for a cast on a blind retrieve. The whistle sit is hugely important.

The "lunging water" I'm not sure about, must have meant lunging in water?
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:45 am

I use, Sit: verbal and whistle (1 blast)
Down: verbal and hand signal
Come: verbal, whistle (three blasts) and hand signal