Good GSP training book?

Vanebecker

Good GSP training book?

Post by Vanebecker » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:56 pm

So I just got my new gsp pup and I'm looking for a good book or DVD set to train him rite, with basic commands as well as more in depth training for diff hunting. I'm a train him to track and trail, bird, rabbit and deer hunt so any and all advice and help is much appreciated

Bluesky2012

Re: Good GSP training book?

Post by Bluesky2012 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:58 am

try the search bar. This is answered at least once a week.
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"

Vanebecker

Post by Vanebecker » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:53 am

Lol OK sorry I'll give it a shot

kar6man

Post by kar6man » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:09 pm

Looks like the self proclaimed "message board police" are at it again. It seems that the majority of this board anymore is just looking for a reason to bite someone's head off rather than actually being helpful.

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:18 pm

kar6man wrote:Looks like the self proclaimed "message board police" are at it again. It seems that the majority of this board anymore is just looking for a reason to bite someone's head off rather than actually being helpful.
this is why people don't ask questions, myself included.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:27 pm

I'm sorry you newer members feel that way. I understand what you are saying, but you unfortunately can't expect all forum members, on any forum, to be sensitive and kindly. Many of us though will always give you a straight-on , our best -effort answer. Hang in there. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:19 pm

diplomat019 wrote:
kar6man wrote:Looks like the self proclaimed "message board police" are at it again. It seems that the majority of this board anymore is just looking for a reason to bite someone's head off rather than actually being helpful.
That is really too bad, because if you don't even ask the question, how can you hope to find an answer?

Lighten up. This is one of the best, most helpful bird dog related sites on the internet.

First things first...this is the internet and it is free. You are asking total strangers for something for free. When was the last time you gave something away because somebody you didn't know asked for it? Think about it.

Getting picked on is kind of a rite of passage...no matter what your pursuit may be. If somebody gives you a bit of a hard time and you fold like a house of cards...that don't say much for you. It is called developing a bit of thick skin.

Heck, it has been my experience that the folks that are the most polite and correct are often the ones you really gotta watch. Think about that one too.

Mo Lindley's book is excellent. Paul Long's book has been my personal dog training bible. Mark Payton's book is an excellent description of various techniques. The Delmar Smith Method is a good read as is Whele's Wing and Shot. There are at least a dozen other books(many which are now out of print because I'm a crusty old curmudgeon) that I have gleaned useful techniques and concepts from.

HOWZAT??

I firmly believe that the only truly dumb question is the one you do not ask. If\, however, you have to ask it more than three times, though...it might not be the question that is dumb. :D

RayG

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:23 pm

RayGubernat wrote:
diplomat019 wrote:
That is really too bad, because if you don't even ask the question, how can you hope to find an answer?

Lighten up. This is one of the best, most helpful bird dog related sites on the internet.

First things first...this is the internet and it is free. You are asking total strangers for something for free. When was the last time you gave something away because somebody you didn't know asked for it? Think about it.

Getting picked on is kind of a rite of passage...no matter what your pursuit may be. If somebody gives you a bit of a hard time and you fold like a house of cards...that don't say much for you. It is called developing a bit of thick skin.

Heck, it has been my experience that the folks that are the most polite and correct are often the ones you really gotta watch. Think about that one too.

Mo Lindley's book is excellent. Paul Long's book has been my personal dog training bible. Mark Payton's book is an excellent description of various techniques. The Delmar Smith Method is a good read as is Whele's Wing and Shot. There are at least a dozen other books(many which are now out of print because I'm a crusty old curmudgeon) that I have gleaned useful techniques and concepts from.

HOWZAT??

I firmly believe that the only truly dumb question is the one you do not ask. If\, however, you have to ask it more than three times, though...it might not be the question that is dumb. :D

RayG
????

You are 99 % of the time polite and correct; I'm keeping my eye on you. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:39 pm

NAVHDA Green Book.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:53 pm

[quote="Sharon
You are 99 % of the time polite and correct; I'm keeping my eye on you. :)[/quote]

Sharon -

I never thought of myself as a one percenter...in any meaningful context. So thank you for that.

Just watch out for that 1%. It'll getcha!! :lol: :lol:

Seriously though. There are lots of folks on here who know stuff. Ask away. You may not get an answer or you may not like the answer you get... but like I said...it's free. As long as you have a fairly good BS detector you should be fine.

Gotta have a little fun too. It's ninety plus degrees out there and I can't work dogs !

RayG

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:16 pm

my point is this thread could have just been answered instead of getting some smart "bleep" response i.e.-"try the search bar". if you got the time to type that, then you might as well just answer they guys question.

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:57 pm

Not a book but NAVHDA is a great organization that has chapters all over the US and Canada. Check out navhda.org there is a chapter locator to help find a chapter by you. Most chapters meet once or twice a month for training. They do have the Green book that someone else mentioned but I think the best part is having so many people available for help.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:19 pm

Look at post, Totally Lost, I gave my openion about a book I liked there. Been reading on the subject for 30 years.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:23 am

diplomat019 wrote:my point is this thread could have just been answered instead of getting some smart "bleep" response i.e.-"try the search bar". if you got the time to type that, then you might as well just answer they guys question.
Well "diplomat", how ''bout the point being you seemed to have the time and chutzpah to bust chops and tell others how they should act on a website that is not yours and that by your own admission you do not post on. BUT you didn't appear to have the time to offer anything useful to the OP? Why is that?

Instead of being negative, perhaps you might try to actually answer the question. Sorry if I am being un- diplomatic.

RayG

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:42 am

ray. i don't offer my advice because I'm a newbie. i sit back and take in what advice is given by others ( and its greatly appreciated). i don't know all the answers hence why i don't post answers and when i do post its mainly questions. and it gets played out when a new dog owner asks questions that comes off as obvious to veterans and gets some response that is not helpful at all. sorry if that was un-gubernatic

but since you called me out on not giving my input i will chime in on what i read as a first time gun dog owner. i read Training the Versatile Hunting Dog by Chuck Johnson and Best Way to Train Your Gun Dog: The Delmar Smith Method. I found the Training the versatile gun dog a little more helpful for my specific situation. I wanted a dog that I could hunt all type of game with. the delmar smith book was very good as well, but I got the impression that book was geared to training dogs full time. That was just my impression.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:55 am

diplomat019 wrote:ray. i don't offer my advice because I'm a newbie. i sit back and take in what advice is given by others ( and its greatly appreciated). i don't know all the answers hence why i don't post answers and when i do post its mainly questions. and it gets played out when a new dog owner asks questions that comes off as obvious to veterans and gets some response that is not helpful at all. sorry if that was un-gubernatic

but since you called me out on not giving my input i will chime in on what i read as a first time gun dog owner. i read Training the Versatile Hunting Dog by Chuck Johnson and Best Way to Train Your Gun Dog: The Delmar Smith Method. I found the Training the versatile gun dog a little more helpful for my specific situation. I wanted a dog that I could hunt all type of game with. the delmar smith book was very good as well, but I got the impression that book was geared to training dogs full time. That was just my impression.
Now there you go!! A positive response, from a first time gun dog owner. That is quite possibly just the kind of thing the OP needed to know. FWIW, I never read Chuck Johnson's book so now I learned something as well. Thank you.

See how easy that was?? Good for you. We all have something to add. Experience is experience. Even though it may be limited, it is still valid.

In all honesty, I can say that I have answered that same exact question on the order of 100 times over the years on this and other boards. I am sure others have as well. There are topics and questions that come up time and again. But you never know...somebody just might have something interesting and different to contribute.

I personally don't really get tired of answering these repetitive queries because the questioner does not know and needs to. I figure... I was there once too. However, not everyone may feel the same way all of the time. That's OK too.

Take care and enjoy your dog.

RayG

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:28 pm

diplomat019 wrote:
Ditto!

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:37 pm

Vanebecker wrote:So I just got my new gsp pup and I'm looking for a good book or DVD set to train him rite, with basic commands as well as more in depth training for diff hunting. I'm a train him to track and trail, bird, rabbit and deer hunt so any and all advice and help is much appreciated
I rather went for training cd's Jon & Cindy Hann Perfect Start & Perfect Finish these will take you step for step and actually showing you how to do things.
I found these dvd a bit long but VERY helpful, Perfection Kennel is their Kennel name. I also may ad when I asked for help sending Jon a email he replied and once again very helpful.

Remember to have fun enjoy your dog, never give a command if you can not enforce it!

Bluesky2012

Good GSP training book?

Post by Bluesky2012 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:07 am

No. It's simple. You can give a man a fish, or you can teach a man to fish. If someone truly wants to learn something, they will research it well. If the question is still not answered then they will ask a question.

Every week the vast majority of the posts on here are redundantly asked and answered. It is sheer laziness that it persists because people don't spend a second of their time and do some work.

If you are all that concerned about it, let's put a sticky at the top of the board with the most commonly asked questions and answers that every new person needs to read. Heck I'll write it if it'll prevent these dang threads every freaking week. Sure would help out the people that are too lazy to dig through an old thread or two. Seems like if you're too lazy to do that, you're likely too lazy to truly invest in the long term training of a dog.

But what ever. People are sensitive and want to be given everything these days, so sure, as mentioned PS/PF is the most highly recommended DVD, training with moe is the book, and the NAVDHA green book is a close second. That's what you'll commonly see recommended in these forums anyways.

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:07 am

you can say that about every thread here then. id imagine every answer has been given at one time.

Bluesky2012

Good GSP training book?

Post by Bluesky2012 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:43 am

Exactly! Not every answer but pretty dang close which is exactly the point I'm making. 99% of the questions have been answered so use the search button! There are dozens of repeats of this exact same thread so use the search button and don't be a lazy individual!

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:46 am

i get what you mean, but whats the point of the site then? nobody would post anything ever again.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:48 pm

diplomat019 wrote:you can say that about every thread here then. id imagine every answer has been given at one time.
Yes but we are all still learning. I can look at a post I made 3 years ago and say , "Oh my gosh; did I really say that?" Everyday I read other people's posts and work with my dogs I learn something new or discard something I thought was right.

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:54 pm

exactly my point sharon.

Rawhide

Post by Rawhide » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:30 am

The book I have enjoyed is, What the dogs taught me. By Scott Linden

Rawhide

Post by Rawhide » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:38 pm

Also liked, The German Shorthaired Pointer by David Gowdey