9mo old pup "laying down" when scenting birds.

jfwhit

9mo old pup "laying down" when scenting birds.

Post by jfwhit » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:07 pm

Hello everyone.

I have a 9mo old Brittany male. I have been letting him be a pup and doing light training in back yard. I live in the city so no bird exposure except the average bird. he sight points everything. Took him to a trainer today for some puppy training to get his nose into some birds daily. Ronnie Smith Jr. Kennels in Oklahoma. RSJ was surprised/happy about his prey drive, and said he showed a lot of potential for future training.

The trainer working with him commented on how he was "laying down" when he scented the birds, as if to prey or stalk. They all seemed to act like this could be an issue. RSJ said it is sometime we will have to work on.

I didn't think much of it, but my wife (with even less birddog training knowledge than me...none) thought the felling was of more concern than I read it to be. She seems to read people better than me.

Has anyone experienced this? Is this a bigger issue than I think it to be? I really want him to be a good bird dog obviously, so I may be putting blinders on?

Big bloc

Re: 9mo old pup "laying down" when scenting birds.

Post by Big bloc » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:39 am

My EP did this at 8 months.She would lay down 75 feet from the bird. I was told she was confused and didn't know what I wanted. I was then told to put the birds away for awhile. I waited 2 months. Got her back on birds and no problem.viewtopic.php?f=89&t=37681. Good luck
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport

twistedoak

Post by twistedoak » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:42 am

we had a self taught irish setter "set" when it found birds.
was never a problem to hunt over.

it all depends on what you want or find acceptable.
in the states a dog setting will be looked down upon
but over seas in many places they are expected to do this

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:27 am

I have experienced this once in a while over the years with young, inexperienced dogs. I don't think there is anything of great concern. IMO, she will come out of it with age and experience.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:34 am

We're it a problem Ronnie would have told you. They are most reputable and will not let you waste your money. Follow their advice.

And I have seen it in some pups when first introduced to birds, not to worry.

jfwhit

Post by jfwhit » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:27 pm

Thanks for your quick responses. I do totally trust Ronnie Smith. I am looking forward to watching him grow and mature into a hunting dog I can enjoy. Thanks for all your help.

Jeff

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:18 pm

My 9 month old Brittany does the same thing sometimes. She even did it on wild quail. She usually points as soon as she comes into the scent cone which is many times 15 yards from the bird. She will out grow it as the intensity builds.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:26 pm

oldbeek wrote:My 9 month old Brittany does the same thing sometimes. She even did it on wild quail. She usually points as soon as she comes into the scent cone which is many times 15 yards from the bird. She will out grow it as the intensity builds.
Trainer friend says I am wrong. He says to release the pigeon the instant the dog lays down. I followed his advice on 3 birds. On the fourth, I stood her back up and as soon as she started to lay down, I released the bird. A light must have come on. She hasn't layed down since.