Type of treats do you use ?

Thump68

Type of treats do you use ?

Post by Thump68 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:10 pm

Just wondering everyone's input on what type of treats everyone uses when training a new puppy? I've got a pack of tricky trainers but still cut in half the treats so more training an pup doesn't get full she enjoys them.

nfloyd2006

Re: Type of treats do you use ?

Post by nfloyd2006 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:22 pm

My dog likes hotdogs and cheese pieces.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:35 pm

Cheetos are cheap. They even float!!!!
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:36 pm

Don't use treats...find a calm voice, measured praise and gentle touch are the " treats" that work for me..
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:20 pm

Hotdog pieces are hard to beat. I don't use them real often but they make me feel good, more than any benefit to training the puppy. It is just a treat. Now as far as getting a puppy into the water and swimming, as others have already said, Cheetos work wonders.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:05 pm

I buy the dog jerky strips and cut them into squares and always have a handful in my shirt pocket. I catch the dog doing something right, anything that is close to the behavior I want, and I snap my fingers and pop a treat into their mouth.

Used to be able to get a pound box of the Old Roy brand at Wal-Mart for 6 bucks, now have to buy several smaller packages. The hot dog slices are great, but messy and hard to carry enough, same with cheese. I will go through 20 - 30 jerky slices per dog per session. They heel properly, they get a snap and a treat at nearly the same time, same with whoa, a retrieve, paying attention, coming to here, a point, anything I can think of that I might want them to do.

I know many think it unmanly, that it is bribery, but if they can train an orca with a tiny fish, I am not too proud to use treats. How do you think they train the movie/tv animals? Answer: all treats, no force.

Neil

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:22 pm

carrots, blueberries, raspberries, bell peppers... basically most any vegetable or fruit, she loves them all. In moderation of course. Carrots are a good source of fiber.

Higgins

Post by Higgins » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:12 am

I like to use chukar or sometimes a covey of quail. :D

Brad Higgins
Higgins Gundogs

Boolywooger

Post by Boolywooger » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:37 pm

I use freeze dried beef liver. It comes in 1" cubes which I cut into 1/2" cubes. My pup loves them.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:15 am

Hotdogs! After that first little taste I become the god of everything delicious.... At least in the pups eyes
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:45 pm

Higgins wrote:I like to use chukar or sometimes a covey of quail. :D

Brad Higgins
Higgins Gundogs
Best treat :lol:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:42 pm

Drop pigeons for a pup and you'll be a pups hero too
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:10 pm

Hotdog pieces, and sometimes what are sort of a homemade liver brownie, basically pureed liver, a bit of garlic, and enough flour to make it really stiff, then spread it thin on a cookie sheet, score it, bake it and break it into pieces along the scoring. American cheese pieces when it's cooler out.

But, while I find food rewards very useful for training and around the house, in the field my dog normally won't eat, so by default it's birds, praise/ear scratches, and in some cases water and shade.