What launcher is recommended?

Thornapple

What launcher is recommended?

Post by Thornapple » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:06 pm

I am considering purchasing four DT or Dogtra quail/pigeon launchers. I realize one is battery powered and other
re-chargeable, other than that does anyone recommend one over the other?
Thornapple

RichK

Re: What launcher is recommended?

Post by RichK » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:02 pm

Dogtra
/thread
Last edited by RichK on Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thornapple

Post by Thornapple » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:05 pm

Rich, is there any reason why you like the DT or is it just what you have, are familiar, and are happy with it?

RichK

Post by RichK » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:26 pm

Thornapple wrote:Rich, is there any reason why you like the Dogtra or is it just what you have, are familiar, and are happy with it?
I asked this same question on multiple forums and Facebook groups. Dogtra was the unanimous recommendation. I then bought a Dogtra launcher and have been more than pleased with it. You won't go wrong with a Dogtra launcher. It's performed flawless for me so far.

Thornapple

Post by Thornapple » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:41 pm

I know a lot of my NAVHDA friends use them. Even though they are more expensive several mentioned they are like tanks. As I have experienced battery powered launchers before they always were out of "juice" just as I was either putting birds out or in fact had a dog on point. All occurring at the wrong time!

RichK

Post by RichK » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:48 pm

Thornapple wrote:I know a lot of my NAVHDA friends use them. Even though they are more expensive several mentioned they are like tanks. As I have experienced battery powered launchers before they always were out of "juice" just as I was either putting birds out or in fact had a dog on point. All occurring at the wrong time!
Do note that I put DT in my first post, I meant Dogtra.

The battery on my Dogtra so far has been great. I've only charged it once since I've had it.

Thornapple

Post by Thornapple » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:22 pm

rich, thanks for clarifying. You are supporting what i have have heard from others.
Thornapple

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:38 pm

I have had the Innotek/LCS in the past, right now I have several DT and one of the new Sport Dog launchers. I like the Sport Dog however they are large, comparable to the Dogtra Pheasant size. I have also had pretty good luck with the DT launchers, but if I were to replace the DT today I would replace them with Dogtra or more Sport Dogs. The launching mechanism on the DT is flimsy and battery life is marginal at best. The Dogtra and Sport Dog are superior on both launching mechanism and battery life.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:26 pm

Dogtra service is great. Sent in a receiver for repair. Dogtra got it on a Monday, repaired and shipped it back out on Wednesday.

Tia

Post by Tia » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:25 am

Have the Dogtra PL/QL rechargeable and has worked perfect.

Red Delicious

Post by Red Delicious » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:29 am

I've had 4 DT's for several years and not a single problem with any of them.

Craig O.

Bad River

Post by Bad River » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:20 am

dt's

Thornapple

Post by Thornapple » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:46 am

If the consensus is Dogtra, is the quail /pigeon launcher large enough to hold either a chucker or a homing pigeon? I would gather yes, I just want to make sure.
Thornapple

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:02 pm

I've got Lion country launcher's right now. No problem with them. Originally had Wag Ad but they are gone. Hab B&b farms but their gone, have used EZ, wouldn't waste money on them. Used a Dogtra one time, worked fine. Never tried the DT. How expensive is it? If I were going out tomorrow to get new one's they would be the Lion Country models, No problems. Probably what you're gonna get is a popularity poll. Meaning most equipment does well for a long time and people don't really try another brand, if you're happy with what you have, why change? Best thing for you to do is try to find people with the models you're looking at and go try them. Them you'll figure out what you want. I think it was the Dogtra that had a chute to load them from the back. The only reason I tried the Lion Country was due to cost; it was all I could afford at the time. Worked out well. I doubt they are any better or worse than Dogtra or DT, just cheaper.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:16 pm

Get a look at the Dogtra mechanism (or Sportdog) then look at the DT mechanism or LCS. Like I said I have been using DTs for several years, but look a the difference and I think you will see why I will replace mine with Dogtra as needed.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:11 pm

I have DT's about 10 years now. I have had to clean the antenna terminal and change the batteries but for the most part pretty good. I don't have young dogs coming up all the time so they may get used heavily for awhile and then sit around until tune up time comes around. Equipment does not like to sit around so considering this I think they have been very good.
Take Care
Pete

winchester pre64

Post by winchester pre64 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:26 pm

I got three dogtra launchers. It's preety easy to tell if it needs charging, if its not flashing green charge it. They work perfectly for me unless i forget to remove the safty. my experience when removing the safty hold the arms down to keep from tripping the mec accidentaly.
"brevity is the soul of wit" William Shakespeare 1599