How to make pup stop jumping...

Putt4Doe

Post by Putt4Doe » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:51 pm

Hey guys - new gundog owner but longtime reader of the forum.

I have a 10 month old GSP who is a fantastic little hunter - however - he really likes to jump up on people. It's mostly new people that he hasn't met before, he likes to jump up on and try to get on their level - making it tough to stop.

How do I make him stop?

Thanks! I, and all of my guests, really thank you!!

natel24

Re: How to make pup stop jumping...

Post by natel24 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:57 pm

Let people know before they show up to put a knee in his chest and yell down. You should do the same. When you get home from work and the dogs excited to see you, don't think it's alright for him to jump on you but not others. He will never know the difference. Some might have another route but every dog we've ever had bird dog or not learned not to jump on people this way.
natel24
"My dogs not perfect, but i'm not a perfect shot either."
"I'd rather go hunting without a gun than without my dog."

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:25 pm

Mine did the same thing. A few good knees to the chest and she stopped. Still have to remind her every now and then. Also, step on his back feet. Sometimes a knee wasnt enough for my shorthair so I would step on her feet as soon as she jumped up. It seemed to hurt her a little more than a knee to the chest at times.

Putt4Doe

Post by Putt4Doe » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:28 pm

Thanks for the replies guys - I appreciate it!

How hard am I supposed to hit him with my knee?

Thanks again!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:16 pm

It is easy to break small bones in their feet, so use caution.......................Cj

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:38 pm

Hard enough to knock him off his balance and off the victim lol. No need to kick forcefully, just a solid knee into him as he's jumping up onto you.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:17 pm

my gsp did the same. he's 1 now. i tried a bunch of things, but what finally got him to stop is knees to the chest and a "no". when he jumped i would give him a healthy knee to his chest with "no". i felt bad doing it but he stopped. after a few knees he learned. id even tell strangers to do it if i saw him try and jump. some would oblige others thought i was a crazy. now he doesn't jump, unless I'm asking him to. good luck

Putt4Doe

Post by Putt4Doe » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:18 pm

Sounds good - Thanks guys - I'll report back after I've been able to give him the knee.

Thanks again to everyone!

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:19 pm

to reply "how hard"? there was a few times that i caught him mid jump and he ended up on his back. i wouldn't go karate kid on him but he sure as heck felt my knee..

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:26 pm

During training for jumping up I let the dog drag a leash around. As he goes to jump up I step on the leash and the leash takes him down. They get the message pretty fast.
I have a JRT who is a pick- pocket. As he goes by you he takes whatever from your pocket - in a flash and very stealthily. Often you don't even notice it until you wonder, "Where did he get that?" Still working on that one.:)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:04 am

I come from the camp that it's better and more effective if the dog makes the choice rather than the human.
Like all tools in the toolbag ,much like leash or whistle or e-collar even clicker, used with correct timing you get best results.

Have a look at this?..I have used it successfully on many dogs who have had the impulse to 'Jump up' and greet people.
It's also best to use no vocal command ,the dog quickly associates that the dog created the negative by the behaviour.
http://www.dazer2.com/
Last edited by polmaise on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:50 am

Putt4Doe wrote:Thanks for the replies guys - I appreciate it!

How hard am I supposed to hit him with my knee?

Thanks again!
A knee to the chest can be a pleasurable experience for many dogs and will only encourage this abhorrent behavior. To some degree the contact of the knee with chest stimulates the hypothalamus region of the dogs brain. Personally I have always instructed folks to pinch the webbing between the toes as the culprit transgresses your space. after a few webbing pinches just the site of thumb and forefinger will give the beast 2nd thoughts about invading your space.
Another way is to keep the dog very busy in a sequential training program which will force mental growth in the your dogs development.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:48 am

I do not like my dogs to jump up and use the knee if necessary. It is NEVER their choice. I am heavy and do not feel comfortable stepping on the dog's toes...so I don't do that.

I do allow my dogs to jump up, but on command and "my way".

I put out my forearm, say "up" and the dogs are first encouraged and then trained though repetition to put their front legs on my forearm...after which they get petted, scratched and praised. They will jump up, balance gently on my arm and wait for the scratching . When two of them obey the up command(because I forgot to use a name first) it does get interesting trying to pet and scratch both at the same time with one arm occupied.

I believe in discipline, but I also believe in providing a controlled outlet for normal, but objectionable dog behaviors. I think that, to the extent possible, we should re-direct those energies and behaviors rather than trying to stop them entirely...because it is probably easier to do it that way. What is easier on and more pleasurable for the dog will usually wind up getting done better, faster and more reliably in the long term.

RayG

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:19 am

Knee to the chest, no command, not gently.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:24 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Knee to the chest, no command, not gently.
Same here.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

deke

Post by deke » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:26 am

We taught our dog to " dance " at a young age. We saw that he liked to jump up on people and decided to turn it into a trick. Now he wont jump on people until you ask him to dance, its quite the party trick, and girls seem to love how gentlemanly he is haha :roll:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:50 pm

Now that is creative! :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Soarer31

Post by Soarer31 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:44 pm

[quote="Sharon"]During training for jumping up I let the dog drag a leash around. As he goes to jump up I step on the leash and the leash takes him down. They get the message pretty fast.

X2 on that one, nothing worse for the poor dog when coming home from work all day and the dog is happy to see you and greet you and then copping a knee in the chest for his effection

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Soarer31 wrote:
Sharon wrote:During training for jumping up I let the dog drag a leash around. As he goes to jump up I step on the leash and the leash takes him down. They get the message pretty fast.

X2 on that one, nothing worse for the poor dog when coming home from work all day and the dog is happy to see you and greet you and then copping a knee in the chest for his effection
It won't hurt his feelings and with no command, he will associate it with the behavior and not you. The "poor" dog, if he is mine, must learn what is acceptable and what is not real quick. But I do understand there is more than one way to accomplish it , so whatever works for you. It is probably not going to make the poor dog much difference either way. :lol:

Charlie

Soarer31

Post by Soarer31 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:55 pm

birddogger wrote:
Soarer31 wrote:
Sharon wrote:During training for jumping up I let the dog drag a leash around. As he goes to jump up I step on the leash and the leash takes him down. They get the message pretty fast.

It won't hurt his feelings and with no command, he will associate it with the behavior and not you. The "poor" dog, if he is mine, must learn what is acceptable and what is not real quick. But I do understand there is more than one way to accomplish it , so whatever works for you. It is probably not going to make the poor dog much difference either way. :lol:

Charlie
Yeah?
How would you feel if your Missus came home and you were jumping with joy to see her and she turns and knees you in the chandeliers !
Bet that would heart your feelings

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:00 pm

Yeah?
How would you feel if your Missus came home and you were jumping with joy to see her and she turns and knees you in the chandeliers !
Bet that would heart your feelings
It sure would hurt more than my feelings. I wouldn't even knee a dog there. However, she wouldn't do that either, she just steps on my leash and brings me down so I can't jump on her. It makes me so sad I want to cry but she doesn't care. :cry:

Charlie

Vman

Post by Vman » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:17 am

I also use the leash and recommend a shoestring leash around the house. I also use the knee. With the knee I actually turn the table on the dog. Invite him to jump up and give him a good correction with the knee, when he shakes it off smile and invite him again, he wont want to play your game anymore. No command, just a friendly invitation to jump up on me. No anger, no command, just a smiling face and a friendly invitation to play your game.

bgcole

Post by bgcole » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:18 pm

Ive done the knee with some success like alot here.
What i do most of the time since its rare is turn my back to him. My Viz loved to jump on people... he actually did more of a kangaroo motion without touching you, like he was on a trampoline so that was unique...

The way I look at it, he/she wants your attention. If their behavior is creating a situation where that does happen (you arent looking at them)... and theyre smart, they will stop. Sometimes they still need a knee though. The biggest thing is probably consistency though.

Bluesky2012

Post by Bluesky2012 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:49 am

Get two fiends to go out of your front door and shut it. When one walks in, your dog will try to jump on the visitor. Have your buddy knee the dog hard enough to knock it onto it's back. Rinse and repeat with another buddy. Your dog will learn fast not to be annoying and jump on people.
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"

GRP

Post by GRP » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:18 pm

That knee to the chest may work for some hard nosed pointer or GSP, but, if you have a soft Brittany or Setter pup, not a good idea. I wouldn't do that to any of my dogs. I just push them down and say no. Either that works or they just outgrow it, either way the jumping stops

Vikingoo168

Post by Vikingoo168 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:38 pm

This happened with my puppy... I would catch both of his feet when he would jump up on me and lift them as high as I could go without hurting him just enough until it was really uncomfortable and then let go. He learned not to jump on me or anyone in one evening using this method.

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:29 pm

In terms of kneeing dogs hard enough to put them on their back, that has a decent risk of concussion and other injuries...

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:26 pm

GRP wrote:That knee to the chest may work for some hard nosed pointer or GSP, but, if you have a soft Brittany or Setter pup, not a good idea. I wouldn't do that to any of my dogs. I just push them down and say no. Either that works or they just outgrow it, either way the jumping stops
A nee to the chest never hurt any dog that O am aware of and sure didn't hurt any of my Britts.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:57 am

ezzy333 wrote:
GRP wrote:That knee to the chest may work for some hard nosed pointer or GSP, but, if you have a soft Brittany or Setter pup, not a good idea. I wouldn't do that to any of my dogs. I just push them down and say no. Either that works or they just outgrow it, either way the jumping stops
A nee to the chest never hurt any dog that O am aware of and sure didn't hurt any of my Britts.
Ask a vet about the numbers of dogs they see with chest trauma of one sort or the other where they have a hunch the dog was kicked. I know no one here wants to hurt dogs, as opposed to train them, and I am sure the majority of dogs knocked over by a knee for jumping are fine physically and mentally after. I also know that most posters on here aren't talking about kneeing the dog that hard, and in fact most probably are just lifting a knee and the dog more or less runs into it when it jumps. But, in terms of the talk of a hard knee to the chest, inevitably a certain number of dogs will experience serious physical trauma from that.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:34 am

I don't think anyone on this site condones kneeing a dog hard enough to cause injury much less major ones. Its called establishing boundaries. I have had many Vets over the years and none have told me that they saw an injury from it much less "a major injury". Everyone sets their own standards but after having dogs that were either bitten in the face by Rattlesnakes,Or hit by a car,or had to have a lung removed or fought a 6 foot alligator, I have come to find that they are tougher and more resilient than I will ever be.

Edit, there is a diff between a knee to the chest and being "kicked in the chest".

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:58 am

[quote="Brazosvalleyvizslas"...

Edit, there is a diff between a knee to the chest and being "kicked in the chest".[/quote]

I think it depends on how hard that knee is...when people are talking about kneeing the dog hard enough that it ends up on its back, I am not sure there's a meaningful difference. Both the knee and the ground impact in that case are hard enough to cause injury, and injury is going to be inevitable for some dogs. I don't mean to sound shrill, and I agree that no one here wants to cause injury.

Swampbilly

Post by Swampbilly » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:25 pm

Knee to the chest works. It's not so much about "how hard" to knee the pup, it's a lot about surprising the pup with the unexpected. You don't have to knee the pup into the next zip code,
If properly timed , (and consistently doing it), pup will simply get sick and tired of falling arse over teacups in the floor every time it jumps up.
Personally I like "instant gratification, and simply grab both paws and squeeze between thumb and index finger pulling pup down to the floor with a command associated with it- NO. You can feel pup trying to get down and that's when 'ya let go.
Don't worry about any mild vocalization with it, you're teaching an important lesson to last a lifetime.

billinpa

Post by billinpa » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:34 pm

It's not that hard to teach him to sit before he/she gets any attention. The previous owner of my gsp used to ask him to jump up. Bad habit imo. Easiest way, when he ran up i would turn my back. Give him a sit command. After he sat he got all the attention he wanted. If he jumped back up. No attention. It only took about 2 weeks to break this behavior. And I must say with no possible way to hurt the dog. Either mentally or physically.