Crate in vehicle?

Chocolate Fitz

Crate in vehicle?

Post by Chocolate Fitz » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:04 pm

I need some tips on teaching my dog to load up into the crate in the back of my SUV ... As well as unloading?
I know he can jump up there because he has already done it a few times... Just won't do it every time... Any tips?

Bluesky2012

Crate in vehicle?

Post by Bluesky2012 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:19 pm

Teach the kennel command, then gradually raise the kennel off the ground.
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"

sdsujacks

Re: Crate in vehicle?

Post by sdsujacks » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:23 am

Back up to a little hill so he can gain some confidence in jumping up there.

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:19 am

Bluesky2012 wrote:Teach the kennel command, then gradually raise the kennel off the ground.
I initially gave a food reward for jumping up and into the crate, as well.

Also, just like dogs figure out very quickly that the e-collar means good things are about to happen, assuming it's introduced properly, I tried the first few times to take the dog somewhere fun soon after he crated. I would leave vet visits and other things for after you've had a few good, all-fun repetitions that have made the crate a link to a good experience.

Bluesky2012

Crate in vehicle?

Post by Bluesky2012 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:33 am

The e-collar means obedience. The whole "means fun" thing isn't true IMO. If you're truly training your dog in yard work and force fetch it won't matter. Your dog should wear the collar at all times unless it's kenneled so that no matter what you can correct disobedience.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:41 am

The Crate should be a positive place and not a forced place. Dogs will learn that loading into the crate means good things are happening. They can and do absolutely learn to do this with no E-Collar.

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Bluesky2012 wrote:The e-collar means obedience. The whole "means fun" thing isn't true IMO. If you're truly training your dog in yard work and force fetch it won't matter. Your dog should wear the collar at all times unless it's kenneled so that no matter what you can correct disobedience.
Probably a matter of individual preference, in terms of where and why an e-collar is used. If you only use it, as I do, when taking the dog to an off-leash, unfenced environment for whatever reason, the dog pretty quickly gets to where he'd put it on himself if he could. As regards the crate, the point is to build the same kind of good association, so that the dog is happy to crate in a vehicle when given the chance.

Bluesky2012

Crate in vehicle?

Post by Bluesky2012 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:37 am

Nutmeg247 wrote:
Bluesky2012 wrote:The e-collar means obedience. The whole "means fun" thing isn't true IMO. If you're truly training your dog in yard work and force fetch it won't matter. Your dog should wear the collar at all times unless it's kenneled so that no matter what you can correct disobedience.
Probably a matter of individual preference, in terms of where and why an e-collar is used. If you only use it, as I do, when taking the dog to an off-leash, unfenced environment for whatever reason, the dog pretty quickly gets to where he'd put it on himself if he could. As regards the crate, the point is to build the same kind of good association, so that the dog is happy to crate in a vehicle when given the chance.
The crate is a happy place, but it is also an enforced command. The dog knows being in it means no stimulation, but since the kennel command also is used to have a dog stay in a dog blind or stand while ducks are working, it is a necessary part of OB work and not just a fun trick.
The dog should he happy to be in it, but also know never to leave it unless told to do so.

And I think by your method the dog is not always being 100% consistent and accountable for disobedience. The collar is purely a negative reinforcement tool. Yes it does mean it's time to work (sometimes) but it means obedience all the time. My dogs do not fear or slunk away from the collar, it's just a normal part of their routine when they leave the kennel so they don't care. Instead they do know they always have to obey.

Donnytpburge

Post by Donnytpburge » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:19 am

Start on the ground with a pinch collar.
Apply a little pressure with the kennel command until the dog understands
That the only way to release the pressure is to kennel up. After the dog is
100% on the ground, transition your ecollar into the mix.
Then transition from the ground to the truck.

This is the way I do it.

Db

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:59 pm

Bluesky2012 wrote:Teach the kennel command, then gradually raise the kennel off the ground.
+1
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:21 pm

my pup knows when the collar goes on we are going training. She jumps into the collar then jumps into the crate with anticipation of field work is next.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:39 pm

I teach "paws up" they put their front paws up and I lift them....

I don't really like my dogs jumping up on the tailgate I'd rather avoid any accidents and lift them to load.....once i lift them I say kennel and they go right in, just by repetition and praise.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

GunDogAdventures

Post by GunDogAdventures » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:30 pm

I think the variety of suggestions speaks volumes about each dog's (and trainer's) ability to accomplish the same task with different methods. I would have to say that repetition - and making the pup understand that not getting in is NOT an option - was key for me. If I gave the command and she didn't comply, I would physically place her in the kennel and praise all the while with "Good Girl, Good Kennel." Positive, Positive, Positive association. I'll reiterate another comment made on another post here, "Write this on the back of your hand: I HAVE THE TIME." I'll be starting down the path of training two pups this fall, so please one of you remind me of this again. Thanks!
A dog on point.....steady, yet trembling,
Breathing in and tasting the gentle breeze.
Take a moment for yourself to soak it all in,
All the training, the hard work.....it really has paid off.

Lily: http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=4
Chevy: http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=6

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:32 pm

sdsujacks wrote:Back up to a little hill so he can gain some confidence in jumping up there.

+1

Bluesky2012

Crate in vehicle?

Post by Bluesky2012 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:01 am

Chocolate Fitz wrote:I need some tips on teaching my dog to load up into the crate in the back of my SUV ... As well as unloading?
I know he can jump up there because he has already done it a few times... Just won't do it every time... Any tips?

Your dog is simply either disobeying you because you haven't ever made it do it when it didn't want to, or you haven't taught it what's expected yet. Teach the skill, then enforce it via pinch collar then e-collar. Your dog is a dog. If it knows what you want and expect, you should never let it disobey you.

You need to teach kennel as everyone has described, then actually enforce it.

rinker

Post by rinker » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:07 am

I have never actually taught a dog to load in the truck/box. Some dogs pick it up and do it with no problem and others never do. I have come to the conclusion that I would prefer that they did not load themselves. I have a dog now that loads herself with no problem. She just picked it up on her own and seems to like to do it. I have to be careful when working her or hunting her. I have to leave the tailgate down and a box open. She will scratch the crap out of my truck trying to get in if I don't. She has also attempted to jump in to a moving truck. She wasn't injured but it could have been bad. I don't mind lifting them in.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:52 am

I think you're overthinking the process. If the dog knows kennel then you're pretty much there. If it has been in your car at all then surely it knows how to jump into it. A crate in the back of your SUV (this is what I do as well) is much simpler than jumping up in a dog box in the back of a truck. Pick the dog up a couple of times and put it in while commanding kennel and it will get it. If she knows how and just doesn't do it every time its not a teaching issue. She's just simply not listening to you. Its a command - enforce it how you would any other one in which she doesn't comply with.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:50 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:I think you're overthinking the process. If the dog knows kennel then you're pretty much there. If it has been in your car at all then surely it knows how to jump into it. A crate in the back of your SUV (this is what I do as well) is much simpler than jumping up in a dog box in the back of a truck. Pick the dog up a couple of times and put it in while commanding kennel and it will get it. If she knows how and just doesn't do it every time its not a teaching issue. She's just simply not listening to you. Its a command - enforce it how you would any other one in which she doesn't comply with.
I'm having real problems following your experience and guidance on here and the UK version ? Perhaps a place board is recommended with the Dachshund? ..It would certainly help/aid the physical inabilities that has been bred and the Manufactures of Trucks with High tailgates :)

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:43 pm

Not sure how this relates to the place board training discussion Robt? The OP is just trying to get the dog in the car, which they say she knows how to do but just doesn't do it all the time. Sounds like a disobedience issue to me. This person also is not talking about a dachshund - they have seen it get in the back so its physical ability is not what is in question. No amount of training would get my dachshund to jump in the back of my SUV - she's physically unable to jump that high. She can't even make it onto the couch lol

EDIT: Reading another post I see this is a 16 week old lab... I wouldn't be enforcing jumping up into the back of your SUV (or even allowing it) at that age. He's young and his joints are soft - jumping up and down off the tailgate is certainly not a good idea at this stage. Lift the dog up and in.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:55 pm

A High 'Placeboard' and a sausage tossed in the back of the truck would get that Dax in the back of the truck or off that couch ;) ..but only if it was hungry or conditioned to do it !...Physics are a mindset :roll:
I'll wait with baited' breath on your resolvement mate :)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:22 pm

polmaise wrote:A High 'Placeboard' and a sausage tossed in the back of the truck would get that Dax in the back of the truck or off that couch ;) ..but only if it was hungry or conditioned to do it !...Physics are a mindset :roll:
I'll wait with baited' breath on your resolvement mate :)
Once you see a dog injured jumping in or out of the truck you will be glad to help them. It is nice if they will put their front paws on the endgate so I can lift their rear up but I don't need a 2 or 3 thousand vet bill.
Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:41 pm

Like I said, A high place board should help those vet bills and the extreme requirement of a tail gate ;)

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:56 am

I don't even have to give a command,. Simply open the doors and everyone goes in there respective kennel. No E-Collar or force needed. I use Positive Re-enforcement only. In fact I think the Kennel command is the easiest thing to teach.(if you know how to motivate them). I have a 6mo old that clears a raised tailgate to get in his box and I can turn 20 dogs loose and they all sprint to load up and none of them were forced to do it. It only takes a few days and new dogs know their spot.

I don't even know where my E-collars are anymore and I love not needing them. In my opinion, if you need to use an E-Collar to teach "kennel", the dog should be teaching you.

welsh

Post by welsh » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:03 am

I agree that the kennel command ought to be a snap to teach, with positive reinforcement. You just need a good enough reward.

Bluesky2012

Crate in vehicle?

Post by Bluesky2012 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:13 am

It should be a snap to teach, but you absolutely should reinforce it because as I said, kennel is the command used to send a dog to its blind or stand duck hunting, and to keep it there. It's critical for a retriever that kennel be taught and reinforced because it helps provide a solid means to have a dog steady at a remote position while hunting.

welsh

Post by welsh » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:28 am

Without question, you should reinforce it. But if the dog kennels in the house but won't do it when the crate is in the truck, I'd say that's a teaching problem.

I have always used positive reinforcement with the kennel command, and never a problem with a dog choosing not to do it.

Bluesky2012

Crate in vehicle?

Post by Bluesky2012 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:35 am

welsh wrote:Without question, you should reinforce it. But if the dog kennels in the house but won't do it when the crate is in the truck, I'd say that's a teaching problem.

I have always used positive reinforcement with the kennel command, and never a problem with a dog choosing not to do it.

Let's not forget this is a lab. This isn't a pointer. Kennel is a nice command for a pointer but not nearly as essential as for a lab.

OP, spend time generalizing "kennel" to where the dog knows it means get in it's kennel any time, any where. You need more teaching for the dog right now.

Down the road, kennel will mean "go to your blind", "go to your stand", "go to your assigned spot on the boat", etc. It will also become a critical aspect of steadiness.

What the pointer only folk are saying is okay with a pointer but I disagree with them. I firmly believe it is a command that needs to be taught and enforced (here is where the e-collar comes in) with the same vigor as sit, here, etc because kennel is the same as sit, in that it means go stay in a location no matter what until I tell you otherwise. This is not a "fun only" thing, it's a command. End of story. Don't force it now, but later you should.

welsh

Post by welsh » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:15 pm

Actually, I've never trained a pointing dog. This is not about different goals, but about different ways of reaching those goals. There is not one single "correct" way to train a dog.