Help with the book Training the Sporting Dog

MSU Aggie

Help with the book Training the Sporting Dog

Post by MSU Aggie » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:22 am

I will be reciving my GSP puppy in the nex month and I purchased the Training the Sproting Dog book to follow, never trained a pointer. This method doesn't recomend or even cover using an E-collar. I have trained several retrievers very sucessfully using e-collars. My questions is, why no e-collar? I get that they think its a punishment tool not a negitive reinforcement tool, but if used correctly its no worse than a choke chain. I plan to incorperate the e-collar into training as i did with the retrevers, does anyone think this is a bad idea?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Help with the book Training the Sporting Dog

Post by Sharon » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:27 pm

Can I ask why you chose that book?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:50 pm

It was recommended. I am thinking of getting the perfect start DVDs, but wanted something I could read as well

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:47 am

Sharon, Aggie chose it most likely because it's the best book out there - in thoroughness and easily followed instructions - for training a versatile breed. Aggie, the book doesn't delve into e-collars but I can tell you from personal experience many of the dogs featured in the book were run on the e-collar, it just wasn't used on them as with retrievers. For the most part, Mike Lardy's e-collar methodology (and Evan Graham's too) will complement Training the Sporting Dog until you get to advanced handling (water blinds).

Gotta ask, is "MSU Aggie" by way of Starkville and the lovely institution that used to be known as Mississippi A&M?

MG

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:32 am

Thanks I use Evan Grahams program on all my labs. And no it's Missouri State.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:17 pm

crackerd wrote:Sharon, Aggie chose it most likely because it's the best book out there - in thoroughness and easily followed instructions - for training a versatile breed. Aggie, the book doesn't delve into e-collars but I can tell you from personal experience many of the dogs featured in the book were run on the e-collar, it just wasn't used on them as with retrievers. For the most part, Mike Lardy's e-collar methodology (and Evan Graham's too) will complement Training the Sporting Dog until you get to advanced handling (water blinds).

Gotta ask, is "MSU Aggie" by way of Starkville and the lovely institution that used to be known as Mississippi A&M?

MG
Hmmm Never heard of it for pointing breeds. Learn something everyday on here. Thanks.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

GSPdog1

Post by GSPdog1 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:49 pm

I was in your shoes 18 months ago and am glad I didn't use the e-collar until after the fundamentals were taught to my GSP first. I used Training the Sporting Dog exclusively until I sent Maci away for a month for live bird training. Now, the e-collar is used to correct poor behavior.

From my experiences over the last 18 months, i would not recommend using the e-collar before obedience training and formal bird exposure to not hinder any natural ability or desire.

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:25 pm

I very rarely use ecollar only any of my dogs, but they are all collar conditioned. It's just another tool.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:45 pm

Get to one of the clinics this coming spring - it will be worth it. You learn a ton at those deals, way more than you can get from just the DVD.

10Sam29

Post by 10Sam29 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:06 pm

E collar for me after about 8 months, and invested the money in the Perfect Start and Finish series. Well worth the money for me and my GWP.