Good Training Decisions

GunDogAdventures

Good Training Decisions

Post by GunDogAdventures » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:07 pm

Playing with a new 9-week old puppy is SO much fun! Training......that falls more into the categories of both fun AND work. I've commented before that training scenarios don't always go as planned. Today, I actually made a great training decision - to NOT take puppy with me to the NSTRA training day I had arranged with a couple buddies. Of course I wanted to show off my future brilliant hunting dog, but too many things I couldn't control could also have gone wrong........other dogs not being as friendly as he might expect, pigeons or quail getting loose and scaring him, and then there's always the gun shots that accompany dogs and birds in the field. We had a great day of training and when I got home I threw a couple dead birds for pup to pick up and proudly carry around. Then I took a couple and hid them in a little higher grass in the yard and he surprised me working into the wind to find them. A good day working in the field AND a good day working in the yard! Sometimes training does go well......
A dog on point.....steady, yet trembling,
Breathing in and tasting the gentle breeze.
Take a moment for yourself to soak it all in,
All the training, the hard work.....it really has paid off.

Lily: http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=4
Chevy: http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=6

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Good Training Decisions

Post by Sharon » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:05 pm

Wise decision - not to mention the pup didn't have all booster shots yet - parvo and lepto are a problem around here this summer.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Doc E

Re: Good Training Decisions

Post by Doc E » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:50 am

It can definitely be a balancing act.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

smittty

pup pointing to far off

Post by smittty » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:46 am

I have a pup with an exceptional nose he is just over a year old he is very steady to flush anyhows..but most of his points are 40 plus yards from the bird ...I want to start to work him on steady to wing and shot but I would like to fix this first should I let him figure it out for himself that he is pointing to far off???? or work on releasing and relocating him???? or something else perhaps