Little Advice Please

srmgundog

Little Advice Please

Post by srmgundog » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:12 pm

My first gun dog is a Brittany and she is now 7 months old. I am amazed at the conflicting advice in this whole area but I believe I got some good advice from a top breeder who encouraged me to let her be a pup the first 6 months...let her chase things...socialize...lots of walks etc. I did that plus have been teaching her to come. Now that the first 6 months is over I was wondering what I should be doing now for the next 6 months. What training should I be doing now? Thanks in advance.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Little Advice Please

Post by Sharon » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:34 pm

Welcome to the forum.

There is no such thing as a "little bit of advice" on here. :) You need a programme to follow if you have no experience with training. Others will suggest some good ones.

edit : Okay. I was wrong. You are only getting a little advice. :) (Mon.) PM sent with suggestions.(After looking at the programmes on Google, choose ONE. Don't combine them.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

srmgundog

Post by srmgundog » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:59 pm

I guess so! A shocking little amount! Thanks for the PM and your comments. I'll take a look.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:54 am

If you can find some local clubs near you ..go check them out watch handlers and dogs . It is a great way to see what you want from your dog and what you DON'T want.
Then pick A method as you begin and learn it before trying other things as mixing and matching before you have A method down will only lead to a confused dog
Also though books are handy the one thing books will not do is they can't teach you how to read your dog that comes with hands on.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

srmgundog

Post by srmgundog » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:13 pm

Thanks very much....that is helpful

GunDogAdventures

Post by GunDogAdventures » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:27 pm

SRM,
Finding a group to train with truly helps understand the methods described in books on the subject. I just ordered John Haan's Perfect Start video at the advice of a training buddy and am waiting for it to arrive. Meanwhile, a respected breeder and trainer that I spoke with (also on this forum) suggested that I pick up and read completely through the book Best Way To Train Your Gun Dog - The Delmar Smith Method by Bill Tarrant. I'm also reading Jerome Robinson's The Ultimate Guide To Bird Dog Training. Be a sponge and understand that each dog is different and may not conform to a particular method described by an author. You've let the puppy "be a puppy" (can also mean "let the dog mature more mentally" and prepare for more serious training), but I would also imagine that there have been obedience lessons, playing fetch with toys or bumpers, and gone on walks with a leash. All those things are stepping stones to more formal "bird dog work" to follow. Read through the Training section of this forum, find a training group, and pick a point to begin exposing your dog to birds, then work into exposing it to gun fire (VERY CAREFULLY - Repeat - VERY CAREFULLY). If you don't feel comfortable doing this, find a professional to help out. The amazing thing I find in this community of bird dog folks, is the genuine willingness of so many like-minded people willing to help. Contact or join a breed club - GSP, Vizsla, Weim, no matter. Join a NSTRA GROUP, visit an AKC Hunt Test or Field Trial. Call a trainer and explain where you are and where you should go from there. Feel free to email me for my number and we can "talk dogs". Good luck and most of all......have fun!!!
A dog on point.....steady, yet trembling,
Breathing in and tasting the gentle breeze.
Take a moment for yourself to soak it all in,
All the training, the hard work.....it really has paid off.

Lily: http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=4
Chevy: http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=6

rinker

Post by rinker » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:25 am

Get the dog out in the field as often as possible. Run him through different types of cover. Change directions frequently and make him find you and find the front. If you have access to wild birds then run him in areas where he can find them. Have no expectations concerning bird work. Let him point, knock and chase. If you do not have easy access to wild birds then during these runs expose him to strong flying liberated game birds or pigeons in launchers. Let the dog tell you when he is ready for formal bird work. He will tell you this by consistently pointing and holding longer and longer, maybe letting you get in front.

On these runs you want the dog to learn to be out in front. If he gets way off to your left and is piddling around, then turn right and go faster. The lesson that you are trying to teach is that it is easier to stay out in front than it is to get behind and have to catch up.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:10 am

All pup's don't turn on their hunt program at the same time. Saying 6 mos pretty much nails down that at that age pup's are ready to start; maybe and maybe not. I like the better part of a year. I don't care to struggle with a puppy attitude, at least that young a puppy attitude. Best thing is study you pup every time out. At some point you'll notice it turn a corner and start getting serious, that's the point your looking for. In that early time frame work on obedience. Let the pup run a lot and discover different type's of cover and learn to chase things, "bleep" birds. Let him chase those things, he won't catch them and in the process learns he can't until one day down the road he's come far enough that you shoot a bird for it.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

srmgundog

Post by srmgundog » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:36 am

You guys are awesome. Thank you so much.