Force Fetch Training for English Pointers

Superhawk

Force Fetch Training for English Pointers

Post by Superhawk » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:11 pm

I am curious about the different styles and techniques used for FF training on English Pointers. I have owned GSPs who were FF with the E Collar only and did quite well after a few weeks. I have an English Pointer that did not respond well to E Collar or ear pinch but came around perfect to the toe hitch then E collar. In the areas where I hunt Pheasant (South East PA) you are in for a rough day if your dog cannot fetch downed birds because of the cover which makes FF a necessity in a lot of situations.

Has anyone, pro or amateur, had to change methods on the EP or any pointer for that matter while in the process of FF and if so what information can you provide in terms of your process?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Force Fetch Training for English Pointers

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:47 pm

I have NEVER changed methods, only varied the pressure. Hold on jowls, ear pinch, stick fetch, ecollar. Same program for every dog.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:02 pm

I use the toe hitch and endeavor to keep sessions short and use as much praise as force, if the tail is high and the dog ends each session zippy up and down the table I know I'm in a good place with the dog.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

codym

Post by codym » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:23 am

I have had to change my methods on a few EP's. Some were very tough and getting them to open their mouth and take the buck was very difficult. Jerry Simmons is the best force fetch trainer I have ever met and I spoke to him about this. I know he will adjust his technique to suit a particular dog and he has FF'd more dogs than I ever will.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:44 am

gonehuntin' wrote:I have NEVER changed methods, only varied the pressure. Hold on jowls, ear pinch, stick fetch, ecollar. Same program for every dog.
Exactly. Same proven program, adapted for the individual dog, not for the breed. Breed generalities are over rated. Train the dog you're training.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:06 pm

I have been using positive reinforcement and it is working great. I was going to force fetch Moxy when a friend told me how she puts a fetch on all the dogs she rescues. Real simple and didn't think it would work, but Moxy's a retrieving fool now. Cinna had a mouth like a vice and used to literally eat birds when she could. I've been dabbling in it with her, training a day or two a week for several weeks, and now she'll fetch a phez wing from across the living room with enthusiasm and as soft a mouth as I could ask for.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle