Help with potty training a 10 week old GSP, PLEASE!

melthemama

Post by melthemama » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:14 am

We've had our 10 week old GSP, Riggs, for 3 weeks. He is my first GSP, and we are in love, he's a sweetheart. I've been very consistent since day 1 with potty training, but he is literally peeing all over the house, all the time, everyday! Here's the routine we've been following:

Go to same area of yard, "Potty Riggs", and he ALWAYS goes.

We work FT so Riggs goes outside about 5-6 am, and once or twice more before we leave at 7. He travels to work with me and stays in his crate until 10-10:30, I take him out for potty and do good/water for the first time (he's not a good eater at this meal, takes a couple bites & has a little water), he has about 10 minutes play time, then potty again & back in the crate. I go out again at 1, same routine except he has an hour to eat and play with me and he eats/drinks very well at this meal. Back in the crate, and I leave work at 4:30, I take him put for potty right before we leave, no food/play--head home which is an hour drive. Dinner as soon as we arrive home (after potty outside right when we get there), he eats less at this meal than lunch usually. Then outside again every half hour-hour the rest of the evening. We walk/run/play for about an hour outside before relaxing inside, and he usually heads to the crate for sleep between 11-11:30, he sleeps with me on the couch until crate time.

I have not scolded him at all for any inside potty/poop because I was told not to, and because he goes every time I take him out and I don't want to ruin that by making him fearful of pottying in front of me.

I am so ready for someone to tear apart my routine and tell me what to change, there's gotta be something I'm missing!!

Thank you to anyone for any advice :)

Doc E

Re: Help with potty training a 10 week old GSP, PLEASE!

Post by Doc E » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:58 pm

Maybe I failed to understand, but is the pup going potty when he's In the crate ?
If so, how big is the crate ?

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:56 pm

You said you haven't scolded the pup for going inside. How is he supposed to know that's a wrong thing if you don't tell him? Right now he knows peeing outdoors is fine, and going indoors must be too since you don't seem to care.
No need to go ballistic on him, but he needs to know peeing inside is not allowed - when you see him doing it, a stern No No and scoop him up and take him out. When he finishes outdoors, praise him.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:41 pm

A well built kennel and good drainage saves a whole load of piss and crap.
So I can't help.

ctcahoe

Post by ctcahoe » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:59 pm

shags wrote:You said you haven't scolded the pup for going inside. How is he supposed to know that's a wrong thing if you don't tell him? Right now he knows peeing outdoors is fine, and going indoors must be too since you don't seem to care.
No need to go ballistic on him, but he needs to know peeing inside is not allowed - when you see him doing it, a stern No No and scoop him up and take him out. When he finishes outdoors, praise him.
This. I also used bells hanging from the door we always use to go outside. Every time we go outside, I make him hit the bells with his paw or nose. I can't see the door from our living room, but as he got the idea, he'd hit the bells with his paw or nose and I knew it was time to go outside. He is 16 months old now and he still rings the bell to go outside.
CPR Lock N' Load Leo

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:40 pm

"peeing all over the house," quote

He shouldn't have access to the whole house. Mine are only in the kitchen and den until fully trustworthy - age 2? :) There is only tile in those two rooms for pups . Block the doors with baby gates if no regular doors there. To a pup "the whole house" is like the big world made for peeing.

Use a command every time you take him to pee. I use "hurry up".

When home, tie him to your waist with a leash when in the 2 rooms he has access to. That way you can keep an eye on him. He goes to squat ..... pick him up , say NO!!, take him out and say "hurry up".

You've only had him 2 weeks. It takes time to housetrain a pup. Just long enough for you to be saying, "Why did I do this to myself?" :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Bluesky2012

Post by Bluesky2012 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:43 pm

ctcahoe wrote:
shags wrote:You said you haven't scolded the pup for going inside. How is he supposed to know that's a wrong thing if you don't tell him? Right now he knows peeing outdoors is fine, and going indoors must be too since you don't seem to care.
This. I also used bells hanging from the door we always use to go outside. Every time we go outside, I make him hit the bells with his paw or nose. I can't see the door from our living room, but as he got the idea, he'd hit the bells with his paw or nose and I knew it was time to go outside. He is 16 months old now and he still rings the bell to go outside.
Had to replace a door frame from my dog pawing at the bell and he realized he could ring the bell just to go outside. I'll never do it again.
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"

Sodey

Post by Sodey » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:21 pm

Bluesky2012 wrote:
ctcahoe wrote:
Had to replace a door frame from my dog pawing at the bell and he realized he could ring the bell just to go outside. I'll never do it again.

+1 for avoiding the bell idea. Mine learned that we would come running to let him out any time he rang it. Good way to reinforce your dogs thought that he is the boss. In regards to your issue; use a leash in the house to keep him close and reprimand him when he goes inside. Praise him for going outside. If you're consistent, he'll get it. I think it's a little early to be worried though.

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:01 pm

JMO....but maybe a visit to a vet to make sure there is no problems there. :) My GSP pup has the whole house with my two labs. So in essence, she is always in the living room playing with the labs and doesn't venture unless to drink water in the kitchen. Then ten minutes later, she goes out to potty. My 2 cents worth.

melthemama

Post by melthemama » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:07 pm

Thank you all SO much for the advice!

I've not been scolding him because I read it hinders them wanting to potty in front of you, it did seem off to me...I'm on it now though!

He never ever ever potty's in his crate, so his control is pretty good for a 10 week old. He also does have full run of the house, so we'll have to remedy that.

Really appreciate all the help!!!

Bluesky2012

Post by Bluesky2012 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:22 am

melthemama wrote:Thank you all SO much for the advice!

I've not been scolding him because I read it hinders them wanting to potty in front of you, it did seem off to me...I'm on it now though!

He never ever ever potty's in his crate, so his control is pretty good for a 10 week old. He also does have full run of the house, so we'll have to remedy that.

Really appreciate all the help!!!
Potty training is simple. Small kennel (in it a lot), small controlled area of the house ( many reasons not just potty training), scold, take em out every 20 mins.

I bet you heard that no scolding crap from some "petsmart trainer". Listen to gundog trainers from here. Have fun with the pup.
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:40 pm

I used those bells with mine. She learned quickly that she could ring them to go out (in an apartment). She at least had the courtesy to "fake pee." But potty training took a week, and now in our house we are bell free and still no accidents. There are pros and cons...
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.