Little help with retrieve

desertcountrygsp

Post by desertcountrygsp » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:18 pm

Have a 4 year old shorthair. Been FF completely with great results. Here lately when retrieving he has been not only chewing while bringing the birds back but he will get within 3 feet and drop the bird. He has been retrieving good enough in trials been placing, but he just started dropping them now. He is a retrieving machine, but he will drop birds right outside of my reach. I have been working in the yard with bumpers and frozen birds to try and alleviate this problem. I still seeing the dropping problem however.

Just wondering if anyone has a special trick up their sleeve that would help with this? He is a great dog and almost has his 1st NSTRA championship within reach. Looking for something I can use to polish him back up. Thanks in advance for any help
Last edited by desertcountrygsp on Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Re: Little help with retrieve

Post by polmaise » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:28 pm

How did 'Hold' go during the process before FF

desertcountrygsp

Post by desertcountrygsp » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:32 pm

Spent a good amount of time on this. He will hold but it seems after he has been running and working he dont want anything in his mouth. I can even reinforce the fetch/hold with his food bowl and it works. I hate hammering on him though especially in a trial

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:42 pm

There is no training in a trial?
Confused.com

Bluesky2012

Post by Bluesky2012 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:36 pm

You need to complete force fetch with live birds then reinforce the command just like any other command. The dog will then know it isn't allowed to spit a bird so you just use an ear pinch or collar pressure and command fetch and it should (if you did walking fetch properly) pick up the bird and bring it in.

From then on as it's coming to you, command as it approaches, maybe say hold, etc and it'll stop.

Sounds like your FF wasn't complete and/or you never reinforced the command. FF is a continual process, not a once and done. It only gives you another tool to ensure delivery to hand.
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:29 am

Bluesky2012 wrote:You need to complete force fetch with live birds then reinforce the command just like any other command. The dog will then know it isn't allowed to spit a bird so you just use an ear pinch or collar pressure and command fetch and it should (if you did walking fetch properly) pick up the bird and bring it in.

From then on as it's coming to you, command as it approaches, maybe say hold, etc and it'll stop.

Sounds like your FF wasn't complete and/or you never reinforced the command. FF is a continual process, not a once and done. It only gives you another tool to ensure delivery to hand.
Great post. +1. I'd also pull him out of trials before he becomes trial wise and never delivers a bird in a trial again.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:51 pm

desertcountrygsp wrote:Been FF completely with great results.
chewing while bringing the birds back but he will get within 3 feet and drop the bird.
I disagree with your first statement. If it was 'complete', he wouldn't be dropping.
Might need to revisit FF.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

Bluesky2012

Post by Bluesky2012 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:32 pm

I'll be honest, I think FF is a little confusing to most because you think it's a once and done issue. It's just another tool. I'd recommend watching Danny farmer's FF DVD as well as smart fetch to see what it should look like, revisit it, and understand the whole process.

I made a similar mistake, revisited it quickly and it was worth the effort.
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:33 pm

might try not bending over to accept bird, and bring him into a heel position and wait to take the bird....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:42 pm

Another thing to remember is that a dog's head should always be pointed UP to give you the bird, never to the side, straight, or down. Noise always pointed to the sky.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:56 pm

polmaise wrote:There is no training in a trial?
Confused.com
A trial is not the place for training.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:21 pm

EXACTLY!! :wink:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way