Pet/Hunting Dog

pranger1

Pet/Hunting Dog

Post by pranger1 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:33 am

I am knew to this so this has might have already been asked. Is it necessary for my family to enforce what I am teaching my dog while I am not around. For example.. for me sit means sit until another command or released. Should I expect that from family as well?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Pet/Hunting Dog

Post by Sharon » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:13 pm

I'm suppose to say that is essential/crucial,
but I've found - with a husband that doesn't follow up on any of his commands- that the dog ends up obeying me immediately , ( who is consistent), and ignoring my husband's commands through its lifetime. . He doesn't seem to care- he's a little spaced- :) and the dog is always obeying me so ...........

(Now if I die first, he's in trouble. :) )
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:17 pm

If you do not, you will very likely have difficulty maintaining the level of training in the dog.

Sometimes it is just easier to have, use and enforce a totally separate set of commands for the two or three things that you absolutely, positively gotta have the dog do. Tell your family members that they are absolutely, positively forbidden to use those separate command words.

As an example, instead of sit or down, you could use something like "HUP".

RayG

aksportsman

Post by aksportsman » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:22 pm

Its not only a helpful way to ensure that he learns his manners and obidience it is benificial to your whole family... if you were trying to learn a new language and culture would you want four people teaching and expecting different things? on the flip side don't you think there are plenty of good lessons to learn from dog training and handling for your family? id say be as consistant as possible.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:58 pm

This question comes up quite often in my training classes. If you are trying to build a field champion, or a high end hunt test dog, please encourage the family not to interfere with you pups development. Much of dog training is based on "what You and pup did in the previous session" and if a family member is "playing" with your pup in your absence you would have no idea of went on and avoidances the family member may be installing in your training program. so if you really want a high end a brag dog so to speak, the dog needs (1) one "handler", during the basic training. Really competitive dogs at the upper end of field trialing, will have many times have multiple "trainer-handlers, because of what each trainer brings to the specific situation
Now if you are just trying to build a "workable" hunting partner, a serviceable hunter so speak include the family into Fido's training. It will take longer due to differences in energy levels from one family member to another, but so what You are not trying to make a field champion.
always remember "We all get the dog we deserve"!
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:11 pm

Without echoing the other comments.
Every second the dog is with someone they are training the dog (whether they realise it or not) .

The dog ''In training'' - Especially a pup. Picks up and learns fast.

The dog that is conditioned to the trained behaviour irrespective of the family member will only do what it was trained/conditioned to do.

Involving the family members at a level and interest for both dog and family can be more beneficial than exclusion totally.

Conflict management I think the boffins call it :wink: .

Let's face it, It is part of the family?

pranger1

Post by pranger1 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:23 pm

Thanks for input everyone. Hard thing to figure out. I have 3 yr old and 8 yr old and it is hard to involve them. I guess I really knew the answer before I ask just wanting someone to tell me I was wrong.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:16 pm

Sharon wrote:I'm suppose to say that is essential/crucial,
but I've found - with a husband that doesn't follow up on any of his commands- that the dog ends up obeying me immediately , ( who is consistent), and ignoring my husband's commands through its lifetime. . He doesn't seem to care- he's a little spaced- :) and the dog is always obeying me so ...........

(Now if I die first, he's in trouble. :) )
I have found this to be true^^^^ The dog should be a source of fun and togetherness for the family, not a source of irritation because someone is a command nazi. Each person will establish their own relationship with the dog, and the dog with each of them. If someone has a particular problem with the dog, for instance rushing through the door, then teach that person the command and enforcement technique that you find effective. Otherwise leave it alone.

At my house the dogs (5 of them) never beg food from my husband because he never ever gives them food from his meal. They ALWAYS beg from me because I allow it. The dogs mind my commands in the field, but tend to blow him off. They obey certain commands from both of us, like "go lay down" or "kennel" because we both enforce it - with slightly different commands.

Dogs aren't all that stupid. They learn who means what in a hurry.

RickB

Post by RickB » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:38 pm

I've seen the following done with good success:

You have two sets of commands. You have house commands that the entire family uses in the house and yard. Compliance is fair to good, and everyone tries to apply these in the same way, but things are variable, so it takes a while for pup to learn.

Then you have your set of commands that you use only in the field (and when training in the yard). compliance is to be nearly 100%. You are teh only one who gets to use them.

For recall: family uses come. You use Here.
Family teaches sit. You use Whoa.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:04 pm

I have Field Champions and train my other dogs to finished standards, I don't much care what the other family members do. Works for me. Just keep training.

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:00 pm

Having a family in itself becomes a lifelong training event so to speak and is ongoing, even when they are married and have kids of their own. but when it comes to dogs, they know who is the alpha is..... :wink:

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:13 pm

What do you mean an 8 year old should be able to toss some birds for you. :)

I found the better the OB got with me the better it got with everyone, but it did take everyone being on the same page as to the commands. Getting the dog conditioned to recall on three blasts of a whistle helps since it sounds the same no matter who is blowing it. I also spent some time with everyone in the family taking them on walks where they gave the commands and I ran the e-collar, to enforce that if any of the family give the command he must listen.

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:32 pm

When my husband tells the dog to come, she comes to me. I don't worry to much about how others react with the dog I'm training as long as she is OB to me. I will say that when I have her at the lake with lots of kids i tell them what to do and I will let them handle her.. They really enjoy how she works for them. Let your 8 year old train with you. As was stated earlier house rules can be different. At our house they are less. The dog needs a place to let down.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:49 pm

I've never worried what my friends and family do with my dogs as long as they (the dogs) follow my commands. And they do, because I'm consistent and will enforce every command.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:12 pm

I enforce my commands because the dog will learn quickly he doesn't have to listen because you won't do anything. My family doesn't enforce their commands and the dog knows.