training for 6yo finished gun dog

33Scout

training for 6yo finished gun dog

Post by 33Scout » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:23 am

I have recently acquired a finished gun dog. A 6yo llewellen setter. Can someone recommend training I should do with him in the off season? I plan on buying a bird launcher. Just looking for some advice because I want him to hunt productively.

rinker

Re: training for 6yo finished gun dog

Post by rinker » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:40 am

If he is finished, he shouldn't need much training. Just work to keep him sharp. I have launchers but I try to avoid using them with older dogs. My older dogs get ran a lot in the off season to keep them in shape and to keep them handling. They find an occasional bird and that is usually enough. If they seem to be getting bored or starting to lose interest I try to find a few quail and release them and work the dogs on them.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:54 am

+1

Well maybe. What is it your calling finished? Seem's that can relate to a dog anywhere from holds a point pretty good to broke to wing shot and kill. One indignant dog owner with a dog that sounded like started to me said finished means I gone as far as I want and I'm happy with my dog. I don't know one dog person that would call not finished to wing shot and kill, a finished dog. If what you have is a well started dog just keep on keeping on. give it a few training birds a couple time's a week. If it's really standing well, turn loose game birds, I prefer quail. They are cheaper and I can afford more! When I'm strapped and can't afford quail, I shoot pigeons. I made foot traps that need to be kicked over to release the birds. If the dog in maybe not so steady, use pigeons and launcher's. Small trick to launcher's. Don't really use them as a training aide to teach the dog what you want but rather a training aide that allow's you the make the pigeon in the trap act real so as to teach the dog about what the bird will allow!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:45 pm

You live close enough to wild birds the best thing you can do with that dog is work him every chance you get on wild birds. Get a cheap blank gun and shoot that in the off season. Just stop when the birds are nesting as to not stress them out.

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:53 pm

I agree. check with the folks at Fish and Game. Some states consider it harassing birds. :)

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:44 am

Thanks guys. This snow is killing me. I wanna get him out but this snow is killing me. Hard to hunt a dog with 20" of snow.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:11 pm

Hard to hunt yes, but great fun to be had. :)

" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett