Beginner Mistake

Wolfatomic

Beginner Mistake

Post by Wolfatomic » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:58 am

I need help and advice to correct a problem I created with my 5 month old lab pup.

Since she was younger I used a lot of excitement to get her into the bumper but not enough obedience and now she is obsessed. She has no focus and she jumps on me and is extremely excited, so much so that her training and obedience is suffering greatly and we can't progress.

I've stopped retrieving for now and I'm going to do a lot of long walks and training heel, and sit. However, I'm afraid that once I bring out the bumper again she'll go crazy and the training will go out the window.

How can I get her to focus and calm down? Has anyone had a similar problem?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Beginner Mistake

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:12 pm

What you have is not a problem but a benefit. When the dog is about six months, you'll start formal training. A heeling stick and ff will take care of the obedience. Sounds like you're young as well and this is your first dog?
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Bluesky2012

Beginner Mistake

Post by Bluesky2012 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:36 pm

You need to find a retriever training club and get a program. That will do the most for you. Sounds like you don't know what you're doing yet. The program and retriever group will benefit you.
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"

Wolfatomic

Post by Wolfatomic » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:00 pm

I am, she is my first dog I'm training for this.

I have already ordered Mike Lardy's books and ecollar DVD. I live in Reno, Nevada and it's very difficult to find trainers (only one I know of) there is one club here but I have not received any response despite the emails.

A trainer I can work with is Sendero Retrievers and Epps Kennels, I don't know how reputable these trainers are. Epps Kennels is a 2.5 month send away and Sendero is an hour away and I'd work with her personally.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:20 pm

We have one of the best "retriever trainers" right here on this forum. Hopefully Evan G will see this post and help you out. I don't think too much enthusiasm is ever a problem. Good Luck!

Wolfatomic

Post by Wolfatomic » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:47 pm

Bluesky2012 wrote:You need to find a retriever training club and get a program. That will do the most for you. Sounds like you don't know what you're doing yet. The program and retriever group will benefit you.
Unfortunately I don't have many trainers in my area, I've tried to contact my local retriever club without much luck.

I did buy Lardy's program and I'm waiting on it's delivery. I do have one trainer and one kennel in my area but I'm not sure how reputable they are. However, I'm assuming some help is better than none? I am young, and she is my first lab I'm training for hunting so I am a bit lost on some issues.

Bluesky2012

Beginner Mistake

Post by Bluesky2012 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:59 pm

Wolfatomic wrote:
Bluesky2012 wrote:You need to find a retriever training club and get a program. That will do the most for you. Sounds like you don't know what you're doing yet. The program and retriever group will benefit you.
Unfortunately I don't have many trainers in my area, I've tried to contact my local retriever club without much luck.

I did buy Lardy's program and I'm waiting on it's delivery. I do have one trainer and one kennel in my area but I'm not sure how reputable they are. However, I'm assuming some help is better than none? I am young, and she is my first lab I'm training for hunting so I am a bit lost on some issues.
I'd suggest Retrievertraining.net and duckhuntingchat.com

Those two forums will give you more advice on training a duck dog as they are geared solely towards it. This site tends to be more pointer/upland focused.
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:17 pm

Wolfatomic wrote:I need help and advice to correct a problem I created with my 5 month old lab pup.

Since she was younger I used a lot of excitement to get her into the bumper but not enough obedience and now she is obsessed. She has no focus and she jumps on me and is extremely excited, so much so that her training and obedience is suffering greatly and we can't progress.

I've stopped retrieving for now and I'm going to do a lot of long walks and training heel, and sit. However, I'm afraid that once I bring out the bumper again she'll go crazy and the training will go out the window.

This is not a race to have an compliant dog. Relax and enjoy. They are not puppies long. :) Bring along some hotdogs cut up or treats and do some passive OB training and praise big time. :)
As said above...RTF is a great forum. You just need to get to the root of the answer from those who know.

Roffey

Post by Roffey » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:16 pm

I learned the most from having a trainer help ME learn to train the dog. It was well worth the money to have a trainer with me and the dog. just my .02 cents

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:28 am

Wolfatomic wrote:I need help and advice to correct a problem I created with my 5 month old lab pup.

Send Evan Graham a PM here on the forum. Let him explain His Smartworks training program for retrievers. It is the best for what you want!
You'll be glad you did.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.