Choice, Brittany owners : actually anyone with ideas

dottie

Choice, Brittany owners : actually anyone with ideas

Post by dottie » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:59 pm

I am looking for an additional dog.
Currently I have a neutered 2 year old male.
My friends have suggested " do not get 2 males they will never get along" , and" your working relationship with both will suffer" or " choose only females"
All thoughts, suggestions, and ideas are appreciated.
Thanks

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Choice, Brittany owners : actually anyone with ideas

Post by cjhills » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:26 pm

Not a Brittany owner, but that is just nuts!!!!!!!!!! get whatever you like sex of the dog means absolutely nothing..........Cj

Bluesky2012

Post by Bluesky2012 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:22 pm

Did these people also say go to petsmart for obedience classes? I never listen to any self proclaimed dog training "experts".

I have and hunt two male (as in un-neutered) dogs and have never had a single issue.
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:42 pm

Totally agree with previous posts. Right now there are three intact male dogs (lab, red setter, brittany) sleeping on our bed along with two spayed females (red setter and lab). This bunch of dogs aren't our first mix of males and females that live, train, and hunt together.

I have known a few people in the past that have had dogs that just don't like each other - female or male. So, it does happen. I don't know if it's lack training, socializing, or just bad luck. But, all of the people I know with multiple dogs, don't have a problem with them getting along. They work out who's top dog and where each one fits in the pack. Of course, we don't allow any of our dogs to get too snarky with each other either.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:53 am

It depends. If you are planning on getting a puppy, you shouldn't have any problems. At my house we allow pesky new pups to be put in their place by the older dogs - within reason. Right now there are four intact males who were raised that way laying around my living room.

It could be dicey bringing in another adult male though. You'd have to do introductions etc to see if they hit it off. Also do some research on neutered male aggression. That can be a serious issue.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:22 am

dottie wrote:I am looking for an additional dog.
My friends have suggested " do not get 2 males they will never get along" , and" your working relationship with both will suffer" or " choose only females"
Thanks
Another liberal progressive urban legend! If you want a male get a male if you want a female get a female. This sounds vaguely familiar was this asked over at the Michigan Forum? And by the way has nothing to do with breeds, Brittany or other wise!
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:11 am

Thanks
It doesn't matter the breed or the sex if the 'Working relationship' is sound :wink: ..These are just some of my 'Helpers' :D

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:24 am

It shouldn't make any difference what combination of gender you get as long as you are willing to be their leader. You can be their friend but you must be their leader.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:38 pm

Thanks
Never found that to be true. The amount of "establishing who's in charge" does to some degree depend on the age of the dogs. I've introduced many a pup of both sexes to older dogs of both sexes and they treat the pup kindly - occasionally putting pup in his place which is great.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:12 pm

Never had trouble introducing a pup but I do think there is a lesser possibility of problems with older dogs if they are opposite sex. That does not mean that you can't make it work in most cases if they are the same sex.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

dottie

Post by dottie » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:51 pm

On the 2 males Brittany question.

A big Thanks for the comments. I am new to this site and new to gundog training and the polite, professional, friendly answers I received made me feel very welcome.
Thanks I have many more questions.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:06 pm

Gender is unimportant. Get what you want. There is no difference between having 2 males or 2 females or one of each. Regardless they may try to test each other at points in their relationship.... or not. You are the boss, you set the rules and boundaries. A lot of uneducated dog "experts" like to spread the myth that you cannot keep 2 males together. A lot of times 2 males will get along better than multiple females. All my female dogs have always been the dominant ones in my house. I currently have an 8 lb mini dachshund and she definitely is the boss over the 40 lb dog. Don't sweat the small stuff - find the dog you want and go for it.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

jaybird02

Post by jaybird02 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:35 am

I have 2 unaltered Brittany males and they are great together. I've never had a problem between them or any other dog.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:26 pm

jaybird02 wrote:I have 2 unaltered Brittany males and they are great together. I've never had a problem between them or any other dog.
Nice looking dogs.

dottie

Post by dottie » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:49 pm

Great picture