New to training bird dogs!!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: New to training bird dogs!!

Post by Sharon » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:42 pm

Someone would tell you the post was old. :)

The idea is to use the search feature to get some more info maybe, not to bring back up the old thread . I've never found the search feature very helpful. Ask what you want. If you drive us crazy someone will be sure to tell you. Until then - go for it. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:27 am

I've not ever clicker trained and don't know why you would ever incorporate this into at retriever program. Get a good retriever training program and follow it to a T.

After FF you will think you have an entirely different dog. Their attitude towards training will be totally different after, for the better. Everything seems so much easier and smoother after FF.

Once upon a time I didn't think retrievers needed to be FF until I sent one off to have it done. When I got her back if I didn't know better I would have thought she was a different dog.

Yuma.Az.Hunter

Post by Yuma.Az.Hunter » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:04 pm

Anybody have or know somebody that has perfect start and or perfect finish? The DVDs? From what I have read, they don't involve ff and is a great way to train a bird dog. Sounds like my cup of tea haha

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:14 pm

I believe perfect start/perfect finish is for the pointy type of dogs... You don't have a pointy type, unless you traded that lavish lab in for something different.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:33 pm

Right on. You want "Smart Start. Smart Finish" for a lab .
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Yuma.Az.Hunter

Post by Yuma.Az.Hunter » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:54 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:I believe perfect start/perfect finish is for the pointy type of dogs... You don't have a pointy type, unless you traded that lavish lab in for something different.
Yeah lmao I noticed that. I didn't know there was another version
Sharon wrote:Right on. You want "Smart Start. Smart Finish" for a lab .
Yeah thanks! Ur right about that. I need to check out my options. I actually had my eye on hickoxs DVDs. Looks like my style. Clicker train bird dogs.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:01 pm

There's not a different version. PS/PF only comes in pointer form.

And Hickox does do clicker training but he also uses pressure or "force" with his dogs. And he FF all of his dogs (or at least he's been quoted saying that), so you may want to read/watch before purchasing, just to be sure it is what you're looking for it to be. A local library may have his materials.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Yuma.Az.Hunter

Post by Yuma.Az.Hunter » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:15 am

mnaj_springer wrote:There's not a different version. PS/PF only comes in pointer form.

And Hickox does do clicker training but he also uses pressure or "force" with his dogs. And he FF all of his dogs (or at least he's been quoted saying that), so you may want to read/watch before purchasing, just to be sure it is what you're looking for it to be. A local library may have his materials.
Really? Ok. Well, did he ff all his dogs? Cause from what I read on his site, I never saw a word of ff or force anything. I might as well give up then.