First time trainer

Hogholley

First time trainer

Post by Hogholley » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:26 pm

Hello! My name is Hunter I'm 29 and live in Central Florida. I've hunted my whole life growing up. I've had quite a few working dogs. I've always loved and done all kinds of hunting. I've finally got in with some friends that love to go as well. So, I'm getting me a gun dog. I just cant decide between a lab or gsp. Im looking for a dog for duck and dove hunting as there main job. I live on a cattle ranch, so the dog has lots of daily running time. My wife stays home, as well. I have two boys ages 4 and 2. I've also never owned or trained a dog for bird hunting. I have curs for cows and hogs, hounds for deer, bulldog for hogs and a Jack Russell. I've read, read, read and seen post asking the same thing I am, which to get? Its truly a hard decision. I want to train the dog myself. My main concern is training on my own. I really want the GSP but don't want to be overpowered on trying to train him. I know both dogs will be great for what I'm wanting. I usually don't do much walking while dove hunting but if i did I would want the dog to stay by my side, until the shot was made and dog was instructed to retrieve. Guess my main question is, which dog is typically the most forgiving, for a completely new trainer as myself? I understand Labs are better suited for ducks. I understand GSP are versatile. I'm not trying to start a my dog does this, my dog goes this far and etc. I would like to know more about the ease of training of your dog. Be nice to hear from others that trained there own dog, that hadn't trained a dog prior. As well as the trainers that have trained many dogs and may already know which dog is typically easier. I'm not trying to win any trials. Just want my dog to be trained right, sit still, go when told, get a full retrieve and cant wait to do it again. Hopefully not many people are rolling there eyes, thinking here we go again. Sorry to ask the same questions! If you think it's a ridiculous thread please just don't comment. If you have any questions for me please ask. I'll be glad to let anyone know what they need to know to help me decide. I'm willing to receive any info on training videos and techniques. Im happy to be here and plan on learning/sharing many future hunting experiences with everyone. Thank you for your time and input, Hunter.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: First time trainer

Post by Sharon » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:45 pm

Good post.

After reading everything you said, I'd go with a lab.
You can train the dog yourself, especially with so many good programmes available for training labs.

"I really want the GSP but don't want to be overpowered on trying to train him. " quote

You could train a GSP too but all things considered , a lab would be your best choice imo.
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:47 pm

Welcome Hunter!

It sounds like a Lab is better for what you currently want to do as a hunter. But don't limit yourself! Bird hunting is like a contagious virus. It'll get into your blood and you'll soon be looking for more opportunities. I guess what I'm saying is are you sure that you'll never do upland hunting (quail, pheasant, grouse, etc.)? Just a thought.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Hogholley

Post by Hogholley » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:40 am

Thank you both for your replies. Yes, bird hunting is contagious. Unless I travel or go to an outfitter, those are my main options on fowl, unfortunately. In central Florida, there is not much of an option for any other. I got a couple suggestions for training help. Does anyone know if there is a video that actually shows new dogs/pups actually being used? I know they generally use finish dogs. Not a big deal just curious. I can't wait to get started.

will-kelly

Post by will-kelly » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:28 am

+1

Sounds like you're best option would be a lab.

The only thing I'll add is that in my experience with a two and a four year old the lab is definitely the better choice.

Keep in mind there are thousands of lab breeders and the prices can range. Not ever breeder is reputable. I would make sure you see the breeders dogs run before you settle on one versus another.

Good luck and welcome aboard

Hogholley

Post by Hogholley » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:47 am

Thank you for the replies, and they're all positive ones, lol!!

It sounds like a Lab is better for what you currently want to do as a hunter. But don't limit yourself! Bird hunting is like a contagious virus. It'll get into your blood and you'll soon be looking for more opportunities. I guess what I'm saying is are you sure that you'll never do upland hunting (quail, pheasant, grouse, etc.)? Just a thought.[/quote]

Bird hunting is addictive, but unless I travel or go to an outfitter, other birds are not really an option in central Florida.

Is there any training videos that actually show them using young, unfinished dogs?