2nd year hunting, dog not as good as 1st year?

Wing Chaser

Post by Wing Chaser » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:58 am

My Vizsla started hunting last year he took some time but by the end of the season was doing very well. This year he seem to not understand what he is out there for. He gets excited when birds flush but has rarely pointed this season. I took him out with quail wings and he found every one so scenting is not an issue. Are there training steps you recommend I take? Thanks

Gooseman07

Post by Gooseman07 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:46 am

I believe a little more information is needed. How old is the pup/dog? Did you do anything before hunting last year? How much training or refreshing did you do over the off season? The more birds the dogs sees, the better it will do.

Big bloc

Re: 2nd year hunting, dog not as good as 1st year?

Post by Big bloc » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:09 am

I had a Vizsla I thought was a dud. All she would do is find dead birds. I thought OK we will work with that. She was about 3 and the switch clicked. just out of the blue she started pointing and working birds. I was speechless I didn't know what happened. After that she was one of my best gundogs. Good luck
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:19 am

Is he from strong hunting lines? V's are sometimes very slow to mature. Also, many do not handle pressure well at all. Are you "whoaing" him at all near birds? That can shut some dogs down totally. V's can be difficult to work with unless they have a super hard bird drive (and many do not). Taking it slow and just getting him into many, many birds is probably your best bet. I'd ditch the wings unless you're wanting the dog to point and retrieve wings, they really don't do much for you at this age. He needs many, many birds, and likely much less "handling." That is based totally on my experience with V's - they don't respond well to lots of handling.

I'd also check out the Perfect Start/Perfect FInish DVD set (you can resell on here for almost what you pay for it new). You're close enough that you could attend one of the Perfection Kennel clinics (I think they have one in January this year even). The clinics I have attended have been worth their weight in gold - helped me in so many ways! North Missouri - so not too far from you.

Becassier

Post by Becassier » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:05 pm

Gooseman07 wrote:I believe a little more information is needed. How old is the pup/dog? Did you do anything before hunting last year? How much training or refreshing did you do over the off season? The more birds the dogs sees, the better it will do.
Yes to the above need more information... also tell me more about the use of the quail wings..
http://www.aspenridgekennels.com
Facebook; Aspen Ridge Kennels, Braque du Bourbonnais ~ Upland Hunters, Woodcock Michigan

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:19 pm

Wing Chaser wrote:My Vizsla started hunting last year he took some time but by the end of the season was doing very well. This year he seem to not understand what he is out there for. He gets excited when birds flush but has rarely pointed this season. I took him out with quail wings and he found every one so scenting is not an issue. Are there training steps you recommend I take? Thanks
Can't give a definate answer. You've had good answers so far.

"He gets excited when birds flush." ............Are these wild birds? He may not have the experience yet to be able to point before they flush.

"I took him out with quail wings." ................ too many quail wings so he is not using the wind but has his nose to the ground?

Have you used a live bird ( pigeon) that you can dizzy to stay and give dog a chance to point?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:50 pm

Get rid of the quail wings, just take him where you know there's birds. Most of them I've been in contact with were slow maturer's. And check the bloodline. thaea are tp many dog's shown in all the breeds and generally they don't make the best of hunting dogs. Worst example I ever saw of that was a pointer, it acted like it was out for a walk with it's owner and was afraid to lose sight of her, AKC show dog!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!