Where to start? Puppy Training

Westtexaswingshooter

Post by Westtexaswingshooter » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:24 pm

Hello, Hello, Hello everyone. I'm brand spanking new to the forum so please forgive any of the dumb and retarded questions that I might ask. I've got several questions but instead of listing them all on this posting I'm going to create a separate posting for each question. Ok, first I just got my first "bird hunting" dog, A black female Labrador Retriever, she's 10 months old and chewing the dog out of everything including my face. Both parents are full blooded and excellent hunters. I've owned one other hunting dog, a American bulldog crossed with a Red heeler. He was my catch dog when I hunted large/dangerous game. I'm a complete novice when it comes to training a dog for hunting. My first, all his hunting ability's came natural to him and I discovered it completely by accident. With that said I need some guidance. I'm going to train her to hunt Duck, Dove, Quail... That's all we have down here in West Texas, maybe one day I'll hunt her on geese, pheasants, ect.

Where do I start? Seriously where? I'm looking at books and DVDs to start her training. I want to hunt Duck, Dove, Quail over her but probably will start with ducks and water. Like I said she's 10 weeks old as of now so I'm thinking now's the time to start her. What or who would y'all recommend? First thing though, there are NO Pro Trainers anywhere near me to my knowledge. I live in Alpine, Texas, Population... maybe 6,000 and that's with the College here. Closest big town El Paso or Midland/Odessa and they're 200+ miles away... One way. I don't think there's even one there in either town but regardless, taking her to a Pro Trainer in Midland/Odessa or El Paso isn't really feasible for her because of distance and the nature of my work. I work rotating shifts. I've read up a little and am avoiding Richard Wolters, had a bunch of guys pushing me that way until I looked him up but I'm leaning towards Tom Dokkens or Even Graham I don't know, I'm not necessarily looking for the best, just the best for what I want and what's right for me and my little girl at this stage of our development together. We both have a lot to learn. Is there anyone else I should be looking into? Whatever I get I would like for it to start off at the puppy stage and then start building up. Need to get it soon whether it's books or DVD's, she's 10 and I'm wanting to start her as soon as possible and started right.

Thanks for any input,
Sheaphen

mnaj_springer

Re: Where to start? Puppy Training

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:22 pm

I'd suggest Evan Graham's system; clear, easy to follow, and he's willing to help when needed. Next, let your puppy be a puppy. Finally, don't use the R-word. It's the mental health equivalent of the N-word, or a multitude of other racial slurs.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:48 am

Your dog is still a puppy. Let it be. For now generic obedience, here, sit, things like that. Take it out. Introduce it to people, other dogs, let it get out and explore.
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Gooseman07

Post by Gooseman07 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:44 am

Explore the areas you'll be hunting as well, or similar landscape. Go to a lot of places to build confidence. Take boat rides if you'll be hunting from a boat. Try to expose her to any and all things you could possibly find while hunting.

Good luck!'

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:30 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:I'd suggest Evan Graham's system; clear, easy to follow, and he's willing to help when needed. Next, let your puppy be a puppy. Finally, don't use the R-word. It's the mental health equivalent of the N-word, or a multitude of other racial slurs.

Click on image for video sample

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:00 pm

EvanG wrote:
mnaj_springer wrote:I'd suggest Evan Graham's system; clear, easy to follow, and he's willing to help when needed. Next, let your puppy be a puppy. Finally, don't use the R-word. It's the mental health equivalent of the N-word, or a multitude of other racial slurs.

Click on image for video sample

EvanG
Evan's Link will lead the new puppy owner to a world of positive development and success. I have easily started 30 pups using the concepts that Evan describes in his SmartWorks program, a can not fail approach for sure! Best part is you and your pup will have fun together!
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

BAYDOG

Post by BAYDOG » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:57 pm

I also highly recommend Evans Smartwork program.
"Been owned by many a great dog, but Lady the AWS by far is the best"

GOD Bless,
Rob G.