can a dog run "big" ....just for fun? ....hurt hunting?

dottie

can a dog run "big" ....just for fun? ....hurt hunting?

Post by dottie » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:53 pm

I have a 2 year old male brittany. We walk/ exercise every am and pm.

He is a big runner. When we are not hunting ...just out walking. ....how do i handle the distance thing.

Do I give him a little wiggle room/ extra freedom ....ie.let him range further than  I would if we were actually hunting?

Or is that developing a habit i will not be able to control?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab® S

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: can a dog run "big" ....just for fun? ....hurt hunting?

Post by DonF » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:09 am

Sure! What do you call big?
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:43 am

+1 DonF!!!!! Video would be nice as well. Definitions are very important when asking for for insights into canine behavior. It's the old story "There are three sides to every situation, Yours, mine and the truth. If we deal in truisms then we can all arrive on the same page at the same time.
Happy New Year!
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:27 am

Dottie -

I will take a different tack with my response. To a certain extent, range is less important. The willingness of the dog to go with you and stay with you is far more relevant.

If your 2 year old will stop what it is dog and come back...all the way back...to you. when you give the come in command, you can probably let it roam wherever it wants to.

If it does not drop whatever it is doing and come hustling right back, then you should probably keep it close.

I have found that when I put on my hunting vest pick up shotgun and start walking... my dogs tend to shorten right up, because they know which game we are playing. Blow a whistle over these same dogs when I am on a horse and they will be out of sight in about 30 seconds.

I suspect that your dog will figure that out as well. It is a youngster right now, 2 years old and all, so it will want to test boundaries (and your patience), but the more you go with it, the more it will begin to figure out what you want it to do.

RayG

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:40 am

The dog has got to be hunting with you. Indy has been trained to turn and come back on the tone on the collar.
But a dog has to be honest on its birds if you are going to let them range out of sight.
On a windy day, a dog at this range could not hear a yell or whistle. I always like to have at least 2 dogs, one of which is a bigger ranging dog.

Steve

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:42 pm

dottie wrote:I have a 2 year old male brittany. We walk/ exercise every am and pm.

He is a big runner. When we are not hunting ...just out walking. ....how do i handle the distance thing.

Do I give him a little wiggle room/ extra freedom ....ie.let him range further than  I would if we were actually hunting?

Or is that developing a habit i will not be able to control?
Depends if you want a pet dog that just happens to be a 'Gun Dog' breed that you want to do 'Gun dog' activities with ,and what level :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_bs3N0-kKo

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:56 pm

RayGubernat wrote:Dottie -

I will take a different tack with my response. To a certain extent, range is less important. The willingness of the dog to go with you and stay with you is far more relevant.

If your 2 year old will stop what it is dog and come back...all the way back...to you. when you give the come in command, you can probably let it roam wherever it wants to.

If it does not drop whatever it is doing and come hustling right back, then you should probably keep it close.

I have found that when I put on my hunting vest pick up shotgun and start walking... my dogs tend to shorten right up, because they know which game we are playing. Blow a whistle over these same dogs when I am on a horse and they will be out of sight in about 30 seconds.

I suspect that your dog will figure that out as well. It is a youngster right now, 2 years old and all, so it will want to test boundaries (and your patience), but the more you go with it, the more it will begin to figure out what you want it to do.

RayG
+1

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:14 pm

somehow my dogs know the diff. when just out running they do seem to run a lot bigger but when the gun comes out they settle down and go to work .it has never been a problem for me

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:25 pm

If you are just out letting your pup exercise and explore the only concern I would have is if the pup stayed close after several trips. If the pup is running really big hide so it can't see you and waait for it to find you.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:33 am

Gundogguy-nice videos, well trained dog.

SetterNut-i noticed the KSU purple on your screen. Go Wildcats!

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:40 pm

kcbullets wrote:Gundogguy-nice videos, well trained dog.

SetterNut-i noticed the KSU purple on your screen. Go Wildcats!

The Cats needed to play in the first half, like they did in the 2nd half.
Steve

Higgins

Post by Higgins » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:07 am

I think it's important to keep a dog "connected" at whatever range. I do that with body movements. No commands, whistles or hand signals. Here is a link to a video I did recently showing a dog how to handle. There is really no training here. Dogs instinctively know these things.

http://vimeo.com/104148324

I hope it's helpful.

Brad Higgins
http://www.HigginsGundogs.com

Dogs: Stay in touch and handle well. Always honor another dog's point, be steady when necessary and manage the birds for the gun.
Handlers: Be silent in the hunt. Allow the dog the freedom to do his work. Nurture the natural retrieve.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:22 am

This last summer I was walking in the sagebrush with the wife. Let my 1 year old run free. My alpha switches from yds to miles at 900 yds. I think it's genetic with her. At 1 year old they don't know the difference of fun walks and hunting. When I hit hunting season I found I wasn't comfortable with 900 yds.