Can prey drive be taught

MikeE15

Can prey drive be taught

Post by MikeE15 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:01 am

Hi All,
I am a total beginner at training. We got a Lab-Pointer mix. Father is a supposed AKC champion pointer mother is pure bred. We got him really inexpensive because mother has no papers. The main reason was for a pet to replace our old lab that our other dog misses terribly. My hopes is that there might be a bird dog in this puppy. Neither parents or grand parents hunt. The puppy(Samson) doesn't fetch instinctively like our other lab. I took him for his first walk alone in the canyon to see if there is any bird drive and he wouldn't go more than 5 feet from me to sniff around. We actually came up on some birds on the ground and he could care less. I don't know if it is because we have only had him 5 days and he's 10 weeks old or he just doesn't have the drive. When I picked him he was the one in the litter that kept finding a bone I put in the grass and seemed to want to sniff around. He would go up and down the fence line sniffing. With that my question is "what can I do to try to pull out any prey drive in Samson?" I have ordered some wings and DVDs from GDS they should be here Friday. Also I got a duck and pheasant toy. Should I let him play with them or would that mess things up later on real birds.
Thanks
Mike

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Can prey drive be taught

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:11 am

Give the puppy time. It is a baby wondering around in a brand new world . Take the pup for walks, keep your mouth shut, and in about 5 or 6 months tell us how the pup is acting and maybe we can help you. As of now teach the manners you want, housebreak, and socialize. Prey drive or desire as I like to call it kicks in sometime in the first year normally. And it has nothing to do with retrieving.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:47 am

Expose him to birds. Wings, not so useful. Live pigeons if you don't have wild birds. Puppies can have their prey instinct "turned on" by lots of exposure to live birds. You can't make them have a prey drive though, unless the genes are there for it. Here is a pic of first bird intro for a 9 week old lab puppy. She does lots of off lead field exposure in different terrain with grass of different heights - happy timing I think the old timers call it. She is now nuts over birds.
IMG_2761 (800x533).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:31 am

Mike,

EvanG

A direct answer is "no", it cannot be taught. It can be cultivated, and if a dog has any measure of it that means it can be developed to a higher state. But, if a dog has no prey drive you've got what you've got.

Fortunately, most dogs have some degree of drive in them, even if it requires some cultivating. If you were looking for a hunting retriever you surely took the long-odds route to it. But that doesn't mean you're out of luck. I very likely means he won't be great at it in the long run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEiZFkUSO58

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

MikeE15

Post by MikeE15 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:01 pm

I hope to build a coup this weekend for some pigeons. I hope he turns out but a PudelPointer is my future. I had one on hold and I had to let my spot go due to an unforeseen bill. Then we had to put our Lab down. Samson was purchased as a pet and companion/family member for us and our other dog. But, I have hopes because of his breed. I look at it as a trial run for my future PP. I would hate to fail as a trainer on a $1400 pup. If it works out Samson can hunt it is a huge bonus. So I will not worry so much and let him be a pup. When I introduce him to pigeons do I just put the wing restraint on and put the pup out and watch. Do I try to entice him if he wont leave my side?
Thanks
Mike

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:04 pm

MikeE15 wrote:Hi All,
I am a total beginner at training. We got a Lab-Pointer mix. Father is a supposed AKC champion pointer mother is pure bred. We got him really inexpensive because mother has no papers. The main reason was for a pet to replace our old lab that our other dog misses terribly. My hopes is that there might be a bird dog in this puppy. Neither parents or grand parents hunt. The puppy(Samson) doesn't fetch instinctively like our other lab. I took him for his first walk alone in the canyon to see if there is any bird drive and he wouldn't go more than 5 feet from me to sniff around. We actually came up on some birds on the ground and he could care less. I don't know if it is because we have only had him 5 days and he's 10 weeks old or he just doesn't have the drive. When I picked him he was the one in the litter that kept finding a bone I put in the grass and seemed to want to sniff around. He would go up and down the fence line sniffing. With that my question is "what can I do to try to pull out any prey drive in Samson?" I have ordered some wings and DVDs from GDS they should be here Friday. Also I got a duck and pheasant toy. Should I let him play with them or would that mess things up later on real birds.
Thanks
Mike
IS the Father a CH or an FC on the AKC papers.... FC is a Field Champion CH is Show champion this is a problem many people have when looking at AKC papers thinking CH means anything dealing with the field which many dogs that have a bunch of CH in front of the name can have little to no hunting instincts bred as a primary ingredients in a dogs pedigree only conformation which many times steers away from what can get out in the field and hunt well

What you want to see with an AKC pedigree is FC DC AFC NAFC NFC VC before the name or Jh i ok but SH or MH is better

and in unpapered animal...and cheap puppy do not mean to be cruel but sometimes you might get lucky IF one or better both of the dogs were a hunting dogs but if it is just dogs are bred because it was a certain breed with no regards of what it will really will bring to the table then you have a companion dog.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm

Can prey drive be taught?

No. But it can be awakened if it's in there.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:38 pm

MikeE15 wrote:I hope to build a coup this weekend for some pigeons. When I introduce him to pigeons do I just put the wing restraint on and put the pup out and watch. Do I try to entice him if he wont leave my side?
Thanks
Mike
Evan Graham has a link posted to a utube video he made showing how to get the pup interested in birds. It is in one of his answers in this post. It will give you an idea on what to do :D

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:30 pm

As the others have said, the answer to your question is "no". But he is just a baby and it is too early to tell too much at this point. It seems that most newbies are way to anxious and impatient. You have to let them go through the puppy stage without too much expectations too soon. With some puppies it the prey drive is obvious pretty early, while with others, it takes a little longer. Just don't expect too much too soon. That can be a big mistake IMO.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:09 am

EvanG wrote:Mike,

EvanG

A direct answer is "no", it cannot be taught. It can be cultivated, and if a dog has any measure of it that means it can be developed to a higher state. But, if a dog has no prey drive you've got what you've got.

Fortunately, most dogs have some degree of drive in them, even if it requires some cultivating. If you were looking for a hunting retriever you surely took the long-odds route to it. But that doesn't mean you're out of luck. I very likely means he won't be great at it in the long run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEiZFkUSO58

EvanG
+1!
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

Munster

Post by Munster » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 pm

Not sure it can be taught, if it isnt there. But it can be awakened if it is there.

My guess is it is there in any good bird dog. It just needs to be awakened in one not exposed.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.