GSP bored with a pheasant wing?

MelcherBoy

GSP bored with a pheasant wing?

Post by MelcherBoy » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:35 pm

Have any of you ever encountered something like this? I showed Gus a wing and let him sniff and mouth it for a bit (a minute or two at most). When I put the wing away, he whined and pawed at me. I thought "Great! He'll take to pheasants in the field in no time!" And I was wrong. I got him out into an area he's familiar with, produced the wing and acted excited and praised him for sniffing the wing. I threw the wing a few feet away and praised Gus when he went after it and reeled him back in saying "bring it!" the whole time. I got two reps in with this routine before Gus lost interest...I am not encouraged.

I know Gus is a bit old (he's 3) to start training but that's where we are. I am more than happy to hear your own tales of woe and even happier to hear any suggestions you all may have on how to work with this.

Much thank,

MelcherBoy

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP bored with a pheasant wing?

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:53 pm

Playing with a wing has little to do with bird hunting. Many great dogs never paid any attention to a wing.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:04 am

Three is not to old. I had a dog, GSP, in years ago that had never been out of it's kennel before. Didn't care less about bird's, not even live one's. Took him into the uail pen with me and he just sat by me and watched them for close to 45min. Finally got the better of him and he sniffed a couple. Few minutes later he tried to pick one up. Couple more min and he wanted to kill every bird in the pen. He made a good bird dog! Don't give up because of your dog's age!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:12 pm

"When I put the wing away, he whined and pawed at me." quote

He was saying , " Get me some hard flying pigeons ; get rid of that wing! :)

3 is not too old
Last edited by Sharon on Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:39 pm

don't let that bother.. you put him on some birds I bet you will be surprised how excited he gets.. the wing thing that's a puppy thing anyway even a pup gets tired after a while

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:35 am

I have had very good success with the Perfect Start DVD system (then the Perfect Finish). I find myself going back to the DVD when I have concerns - just finished watching it again for my newest pup. Also, the added value is that they sell like hotcakes on this site when you're finished with watching them. Better yet, get to a 4-day clinic in Missouri at Perfection Kennel. If you can't do those things, then join a local club with other folks working on their dogs. You'll learn a lot.

As others have said, ditch the wing. It does nothing for you - live birds are the best.

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:56 am

Same here with the wing. Dog look at me like I was the stupid 1. I guess she was right
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport