Will quail stay in a general area?

MikeE15

Will quail stay in a general area?

Post by MikeE15 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:51 pm

We have a canyon area behind us. Would quail stay in the area if I put water out or do they move around a lot. Sorry if this is a dumb question I'm new to birds.

SwitchGrassWPG

Re: Will quail stay in a general area?

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:28 pm

Wild or released? Depending on food availability they can move a lot. Released birds tend to have a very high mortality rate if released as an adult.
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

twistedoak

Post by twistedoak » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:11 am

they will recall to an extent

if you have a house built they live in , and don't release them that far from it ,
most will find their way back .
its important to always leave a few in the house when you do release them.
they recall more by talking to each other rather then home like a pigeon does.

keep in mind you will still lose birds

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:06 am

I think you are talking about California Valley quail that would reside in your neighbor hood. I installed a watering station (a buried pan with a adjustable dripper that runs all the time) I also broadcast milo every day during the nesting season. I have had up to 100 quail attracted to my area. They show up every day and roost in the trees above my house. It is a joy to watch them especially the youngsters as they grow up. I use them for dog training after nesting season. This is the best time to start attracting them. The are just starting to pair up.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:51 am

My ex-wife used to call in wild Quail to feed them. I suspect they stayed in the area all the time or she wouldn't have been able to do that. We had a small covey of pen raised Bob White'as here that were loose for several month's and hung around all the time. don't know if it will work or not but have been thinking of building a pen for quail and burying in a brush pile to see if I can get to the point where the pen is always open for the birds to come and go as they please. Keep them locked up quite a while before turning them out. I hope that if I get's them used to eating, drinking and living in a secure place, they'll go back without a recall pen. Of course the pile will require some hog fencing around it to protect the pile from predator's and dogs. Also a way to add feed and water without intruding on the pen. I used to feed and water my quail, when I had them, through funnel's attached to a hose. Never went near them unless I needed some for training. Thing that got me thinking about it was watching young birds leave the brooder. They are cautious at first but leave the brooder open and food and water in it and they always go back. Now to build a better brooder and cover it with a brush pile. Hope to start on it this spring.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!