FF ?

oldbeek

FF ?

Post by oldbeek » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:35 pm

I saw a u-tube video on FF done by Standing Stone Kennels. They were coaxing the dogs to fetch with treats instead of force. Is this the right thing to do?? Whoops! Guess I need to pay attention. After viewing whole series treats were only used to get dog used to table.

Swampbilly

Re: FF ?

Post by Swampbilly » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:38 am

No.
Sounds like a clerical error on the title, (happens from time to time :wink: ), that's not FF.
Am waiting for the day when methods include placing the dog in a room with a set of ear buds listening to a 2hr DVD motivational that lectures the dog on reasons why it should retrieve, count to three, bust through cover, take a good cast, and run blinds.

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:20 am

Check out Freddy Kings on youtube. I liked it
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:03 am

oldbeek wrote:saw a u-tube video on FF done by Standing Stone Kennels. They were coaxing the dogs to fetch with treats instead of force. Is this the right thing to do?? Whoops! Guess I need to pay attention. After viewing whole series treats were only used to get dog used to table.
This is more refered to as the trained retrieve. Something he learned from his former employer, maybe.
Last edited by Ms. Cage on Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:02 pm

This Brittany is one hard headed dog. Toe pinch she started bulling up. Ear pinch same result. Toe pinch and light stim with e- collar got her going. Had one great session and thought I had a breakthrough. Next session, nothing doing. She almost got the best of me. E-collar on 4 and she is going to leave and take the table with her. Moved the collar to her belly on 1 and toe pinch. She must have decided I would go to 5 on the e-collar because she reached right out and took it. Went back to 1/2 on the collar and nearly no toe pinch for the rest of the session. Ended with what a good girl she is. We will see what tomorrow brings.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:10 pm

Swampbilly wrote:No.
Sounds like a clerical error on the title, (happens from time to time :wink: ), that's not FF.
Please pay attention to this. What is described as FF without force is like archery without arrows. FF means force fetch, so named for the critical element "force". Lacking force it's not force fetch. It's something else.

This is why it's so important to have course material when setting out to do something new. The Full course of force fetch (with all its steps and components) is often correctly referred to as the fully trained retrieve. That, and only that, is the fully trained retrieve. It's also what I mean any time I refer to force fetch.

Need more detail?

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum