Best way to train without birds?

Putt4Doe

Best way to train without birds?

Post by Putt4Doe » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:32 am

Hi guys -

I have a year and a half old GSP. When he was 6 months old, I sent him away to bird dog school for 3 months where he was trained.

I try to hunt him as much as I can, but I'm really only able to get him out maybe once or twice a month due to my work and family schedules.

I would like to work with him a little in the mornings or evenings to keep him sharp. What's the best way to do this? I will take him out in the yard and work on woah-ing and his recall, but I would like do more to simulate the hunt. I live in the suburbs, so live birds really aren't an option for me - however - I have access to the family farm about 30-40 minutes away. What do you recommend as far as a training program that I can do with him and do more of a hunt simulation?

Many thanks!

ROTTnBRITT

Re: Best way to train without birds?

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:53 am

All you can really do is obedience and handling work. Can't do bird work without birds.

See if you can get a few pigeons (bough or trapped) every week or so and use them if you have a place to work the dog.

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:56 am

Using live pigeons is a good solution for you. There are a number of threads discussing different ways to get them, but for me, trapping, netting and buying for $2 a bird at feed stores all seem to work well. For me, I found the Mo Lindley Field Manual, http://www.oknavhda.com/docs/Steady_With_Style.pdf to be a great little pocket guide to then use.

Putt4Doe

Post by Putt4Doe » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:05 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I had no idea pigeons were that cheap. Is there a place that describes the best way to trap them? Or how do I find somewhere that sells them, being that I'm in the 'burbs??

Again - many thanks!

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:05 am

Craigslist is usually a good place to advertise.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:28 pm

Few weeks ago I read the "bleep" method of catching pigeon's ever and the guy claims it works. He take a bait, hen scratch would work, and sit's on a bench in a park. Toss's out a bit of scratch to get the birds near and then drops it right at his feet. The birds get comfortable with it and eat right under him. He just reach's down and grabs them. Scares off the other's but not for long and the beggar's are back. not sure where you could work birds in town like you are but I'd look around, never know. And, you don't need to keep bird's, just catch enough for the next day. Best bet though is the farm. Put in a small loft and have bird's ready to go all the time.

i had your situation long ago with my first GSP. Lot of bush's around some house's that work alright to plant a bird in. had neighbor's that let me plant in their bush's. it's pretty much a check cord only deal though!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!