GSP Training

pleach1991

GSP Training

Post by pleach1991 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:03 am

I am picking up a GSP pup in three weeks. I know both of his parents well and I love his personality, should be a good and birdy pup. I live in Texas and have a four year old Springer that has hunted almost every different kind of bird. He is an easy and versatile dog. I trained the Springer myself but have never trained a pointer.

What are the best training references for a GSP that you all would reccomend? I appreciate all of the help that I can get!

-Patrick

singlemalt

Re: GSP Training

Post by singlemalt » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:36 am

Of course Perfect Start/ Perfect finish are great resources. I ended up biting the bullet and sending my GSP to Tammy Casa in Leander and it was the best decision I have made in a long time. He is solid as a rock.

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:42 pm

You should check out the North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association, known as NAVHDA. They have chapters all over the country that meet to train at least once a month, depends on what part of the country on what months they meet. Check out the chapter map here: http://www.navhda.us/chaptmap.aspx
Even if the closest chapter is a ways from you they may have members in your area that you could get together with. All of our GSP's are older but I still go to the training days to help others.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:23 pm

The Perfect Start/Perfect Finish DVD set is invaluable. Also, Jon Hann (trainer/owner at Perfection) has clinics - 4 days - where he helps you to train your own dog. They just did one down in Texas last year. Well worth the money to attend the clinic....

Dozer-n-Dayla

Post by Dozer-n-Dayla » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:23 am

Some good stuff at willow creek kennels in Minnesota ,chad has some great videos, check it Out!