More FF advice needed

oldbeek

More FF advice needed

Post by oldbeek » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:49 pm

My 16 month old Britt runs hot and cold on the FF table. One time we have a good session and the next she bulls up on me. I finally settled on the toe pinch cord because she works best with that. I added the E-collar and there is where she would bull up. I moved the E-collar to her belly on light stem and got some results. Finally she decided she is having nothing to do with the program if I bring out the E-collar. This is the question. Can I just forget the E-collar. With the cord on her foot every drill goes smooth. 4 times a day for 2 weeks on the table picking up various items. Picking up a pile. Picking up frozen pigeon. Moved to the ground with same result. On one fetch she decided to not pick up. I whoaed her walked over and tugged the line that was now just on her ankle said fetch. She picked it up perfectly and padded back to the start point. I can take the pigeon out of her direct site, 40 ft away and drop it. Go back to her and say fetch and she does everything perfect. Took her out today in the field wearing the e-collar and shot a pigeon after point and she fetched it perfect. She has worn the e-collar in the field since day one. Am I done or should I insist she do the FF program on the table wearing the E- collar.

Munster

Re: More FF advice needed

Post by Munster » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:19 pm

you should probably talk to Grahm about your issues. But I would say, just from the short post, that you have been bouncing around with sources of correction. Just because she bulls up, which I take to mean, bulks, doesnt mean you stop and change tactics. You have to bull up and get through the session, even if it means taking a step backwards to get a clean session.

I am confused about why you whoed her aswell, I would have walked up to her( No whoa) and put pressure on her until she picked it up. I wouldnt have given another fetch command. She knew what was wanted. SHe is either jerking your chain or you have her confused.

I would suggest video taping your sessions. For yourself, no one else to see. SOmetimes you can pick up on what is going wrong by doing this. I use this a lot when I force fetch.

Also, I am sure you can send it to someone who has done this for awhile and they can evaluate what you have going on.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:09 pm

Why Whoa? And what command would you use to stop her. She wasn't wearing a check cord. Maybe another mistake on my part. She works so well in everything else with the E-collar I don't want to sour her on the collar.

Munster

Post by Munster » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:05 pm

Yeah, I would have just walked up to her and corrected her. When you said whao, you lost your ability to correct the behavior that she screwed up. Just keep working at it, you will get it done. I am far from a pro. I have 2 dogs under my belt and working on a third. Try the video thing. I am betting you will see something. Your timing or something that she is confused about.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:17 am

She is shutting down on you because she does not understand thoroughly the pressure of the toe hitch. You have to go in a very organized sequence making sure the dog understands each step. For what it's worth, I don't like the toe hitch and far prefer the ear pinch. Correction and pressure are faster, more precise and more variable.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Gooseman07

More FF advice needed

Post by Gooseman07 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:20 am

You seem to be jumping around. I haven't followed posts before from you so I'm not 100% where you have been. How much Hold then Hold and Carry did you do? I try to spend the most time on that and typically everything else goes very smooth. I only do 2 sessions every day. If you are doing 4 sessions and they are all different, she's confused to all get out. You need to spend time teaching her exactly what you want. I'm going through another dog right now. PM me if you want to talk more.