check cord training question

rgw515

Post by rgw515 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:13 am

I am currently training my chocolate lab and have a question about using the check cord.

My dog will chase down any bumper I throw when she is not on a check cord with great drive and hustle, and about 50/50 will bring it back to me. So I put her on the check cord to correct whenever she does not bring it back.

However, when I put the check cord on her she does not chase any bumper or show any drive. I have tried to get her excited about chasing the bumper while on the check cord by showing more enthusiasm and trying to get her fired up. Yesterday I did move to a newer, less familiar spot in the field and threw just two retrieves, with her on the check cord, and she did better. On the third throw she went back to showing less drive so I stopped. I understand that retrieves should be kept to 3-5 throws during this training period.

She does obedience training on the check cord well: sit, stay, come, heel. But overall, she really loses retrieving drive when on the check cord.

I wondered if anyone can offer some suggestions on increasing her desire to retrieve on the check cord. Thanks.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: check cord training question

Post by cjhills » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:42 am

Let her get used to just dragging the cord for awhile.....................Cj

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:21 am

Yea, she's out door's leave it on her all the time. It sound's to me like you did your obedience training very well!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Gooseman07

Post by Gooseman07 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:27 am

Also, depends on the length of throw with it on vs. off. I assume the dog isn't real old so I can't imagine they are that long. Anyway, I would only throw like 10' to start with it on then expand from there vs starting with a 50' throw.

Like the other guys said, just get her used to it. I don't use a CC anymore for training but it's what works for you.

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:13 pm

DonF wrote:Yea, she's out door's leave it on her all the time. It sound's to me like you did your obedience training very well!
Only put it on the dog suprivised. A puppy could get into alot of trouble with any cord left on unsupervised.

Gooseman07

Post by Gooseman07 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:48 am

RyanDoolittle wrote:
DonF wrote:Yea, she's out door's leave it on her all the time. It sound's to me like you did your obedience training very well!
Only put it on the dog suprivised. A puppy could get into alot of trouble with any cord left on unsupervised.
Good call! Especially if there are older dogs in the mix as well!

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:06 pm

Try not doing OB training for a few days and let her drag the CC outside. The dog may be thinking CC equals OB training or some type of pressure. Might be anticipating the commands. Try using live birds (pigeons) to increase drive and see what happens.

BellaSpinone

Post by BellaSpinone » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:36 pm

Cut up a hotdog. Sit on the ground. Toss the bumper and give a piece of hotdog for delivery to hand. You do not need to say anything. If your pup is food motivated they will play this game all day.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:36 am

rgw515 wrote:

She does obedience training on the check cord well: sit, stay, come, heel. But overall, she really loses retrieving drive when on the check cord.
I could be wrong but I think you have inhibited your pup by training so many obedience things while she is on the check cord. To her the check cord means "stop" rather than "go" maybe ? I have no idea whether or not the cord has been used as a tool to correct or "punish" her but it sounds like the reaction a pup might have to too many check cord corrections.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Irishwhistler

Post by Irishwhistler » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:24 pm

Seems to me that there are a number of factors left out by the OP that need consideration; 1. How old is the dog? 2. Up until now, may you have thrown too many meaningless bumpers so as to diminish the dog's drive? 3. What do you use as reinforcement? 4. Have you ruled out mouth related problems (adult teeth not fully in yet)? 5. If the dog is over 6-7 months, have you considered doing force fetch conditioning? 6. Are you using a formal / sequential training program and following it?

Expand a bit with provision on the questions above and your question will likely generate more useful replies for you.

Cheers,
Irishwhistler