Training Schedule

Remington4

Training Schedule

Post by Remington4 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:53 am

What is your daily routine with your dog starting day one? Morning sessions / evening sessions / weekend sessions. Thanks
Last edited by Remington4 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If something is worth doing, it ought to be done in a way that is enjoyable - Otherwise, it can't really be worth doing

mnaj_springer

Re: Training Schedule

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:50 pm

Oh dear.... First of all, take any ideas or thoughts of deadlines and schedules based on dates. It'll get done when it gets done. But with puppies just take it easy and do what your pup is ready for and in a planful way. Expose them to a lot of environments and people in pressure free situations. Keep everything short and sweet.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Remington4

Post by Remington4 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:59 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:Oh dear.... First of all, take any ideas or thoughts of deadlines and schedules based on dates. It'll get done when it gets done. But with puppies just take it easy and do what your pup is ready for and in a planful way. Expose them to a lot of environments and people in pressure free situations. Keep everything short and sweet.
Thanks for the response,
I was just wondering what your expectations are with the first months. Someone posted a thread that gave me an idea. I'm just very excited about my upcoming dog, and want to soak in all of the info I can get from you folks. My apologies if the questions I ask are rookie/dumb. I have various books, just seeking some direction on what worked best for you guys with your dogs.
If something is worth doing, it ought to be done in a way that is enjoyable - Otherwise, it can't really be worth doing

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:20 pm

Remington4 wrote:
mnaj_springer wrote:Oh dear.... First of all, take any ideas or thoughts of deadlines and schedules based on dates. It'll get done when it gets done. But with puppies just take it easy and do what your pup is ready for and in a planful way. Expose them to a lot of environments and people in pressure free situations. Keep everything short and sweet.
Thanks for the response,
I was just wondering what your expectations are with the first months. Someone posted a thread that gave me an idea. I'm just very excited about my upcoming dog, and want to soak in all of the info I can get from you folks. My apologies if the questions I ask are rookie/dumb. I have various books, just seeking some direction on what worked best for you guys with your dogs.
I expect the pup to be alive even though it came close a hundred times to losing it's happy home. If it wasn't so darn cute and loving it would be gone. I expect to take the pup into as many different environments as possible, meet as many people as possible, and gradually run and act stupid when we go out in the field to explore. I expect the pup to know where I am and if I suspicion it doesn't know, I hide and make it find me. And I expect all of this field activity while I am keeping my mouth shut but smiling as I see the pup gradually gain confidence and get further away before it starts looking to make sure I am coming. And sometime isn a few months we will consider starting some field training.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:46 pm

No more sleeping in. :) Pup needs to get out to pee every couple hours . Socialization is my priority , including puppy classes.

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/D ... ionPup.php
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Remington4

Post by Remington4 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:25 pm

Sharon wrote:No more sleeping in. :) Pup needs to get out to pee every couple hours . Socialization is my priority , including puppy classes.

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/D ... ionPup.php
Thank you so much :)

BellaSpinone

Post by BellaSpinone » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:00 am

Once they have their puppy shots, around four months old socialize. I agree with puppy class. I remember when I had one dog trying to have a completely trained dog by three months... Now I have 7, didn't even have a name for our latest until she was 6 months old. Just called her pup. The pont let them be puppies. I have seen dogs as Yong as three months at a NAVHDA hunt test. Also seen them crash and burn-out. Over the years I have come to realize puppies need time to be puppies. I don't own any socks without holes in them, my shoes are all on the top shelf, our furniture has teeth marks on it. But our trophy case is full and our hearts warm.

Firelight

Post by Firelight » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:17 am

Remington4 wrote: My apologies if the questions I ask are rookie/dumb.
All that would be dumb would be if you stopped asking questions and trying to learn and do what's best. Everyone was a rookie at one time. Enjoy your pup....let it enjoy being a puppy.

digger

Post by digger » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:57 am

Nothing like your first bird dog. Take a deep breath and just relax! Best schedule first months - FUN, EXPOSURE. Go out and enjoy all the new stuff. NO pressure, be buds. Just don't rush it :wink:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:04 pm

BellaSpinone wrote:Once they have their puppy shots, around four months old socialize. I agree with puppy class. I remember when I had one dog trying to have a completely trained dog by three months... Now I have 7, didn't even have a name for our latest until she was 6 months old. Just called her pup. The pont let them be puppies. I have seen dogs as Yong as three months at a NAVHDA hunt test. Also seen them crash and burn-out. Over the years I have come to realize puppies need time to be puppies. I don't own any socks without holes in them, my shoes are all on the top shelf, our furniture has teeth marks on it. But our trophy case is full and our hearts warm.

That's a great post. I was going to win the Canadian Championship at 12 months. LOL
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:08 pm

Remington4 wrote:What is your daily routine with your dog starting day one? Morning sessions / evening sessions / weekend sessions. Thanks
Needs run in the field/woods etc as often as you can provide it or any sporting breed will drive you crazy.in the house. New , first time , sporting breed owners are always ? nervous about letting pup off- leash to run /explore. Don't be . At that age he will not go far from you . As he starts to explore farther away , don't keep calling pup back. By then you will have a way to get pup to come to you when he is called.

rgw515

Post by rgw515 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:13 pm

I go to school during the day so I always try to go for a training session before or after school, once a day. The time of day hasn't seemed to make a difference, as long as you get out there every day. I've had good success with my dog by just taking it slow and making sure to master the little things before moving on to the next step. My advice is to look through several training books, choose one you like, and stick to it. As long as you are consistent with a session every day, and take it slow, I think training is very manageable and you will be pleased with your dog's progress.

evans213

Post by evans213 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:41 pm

I am rather new to posting on this forum, but I'll tell you about my experience. I have a now 10 month old GSP, this is the first bird dog I have ever owned. I have had coon hounds and trained them as pups, letting them live outside with the older dogs and treated them like a older dog. That's not fair to the puppy now that I know better. I decided that my new GSP pup would live in the house and I would teach her whatever I could learn, on her own time. We started off just going for walks through the woods and fields when she was probably 12 weeks old. I would play fetch in the house with her down a long hallway, and that was only for about 15 mins twice a day. On the walk abouts as I like to call them, she did her own thing. When she would come back I would love on her and giver her a treat. No check cord involved at this point as they wont wonder far. I always let her be a pup with no pressure, and at 10 months old I don't show her any real pressure still making all things as fun as I can. I started her on whoa when I would feed her as a little puppy, holding her back from her food and telling her whoa. When she was still I would pet her and then let her eat. Now she will play fetch all day long and i can hold a treat in her face and say whoa and she will freeze. I didn't show her birds until she was 8 months old, not because I didn't wont to but because I didn't have any. Birds came natural to her as it will with any well breed bird dog. We are going to test in NA this weekend and I think she will do great.

The main thing I had to come to terms with was LET THEM BE A PUPPY, it was hard for me but is paying off. After the NA test I will start applying more pressure and probably send her to a professional to finish out. But the point is let them be a puppy and make all things fun, no real pressure, every pup is different. Some get it sooner than others but if they haven't had the chance to be a puppy and explore then they will probably be further behind. I had a cousin tell me that she wouldn't make a hunting dog living in the house, LOL, she will out fetch water retrieves better then his 10 year old lab and she will point a bird by using her nose and not having to see it.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:10 am

Remington4 wrote: Thanks for the response,
Only real expectations in the first few months are housebreaking, crate training and learning good manners around the house. Obedience training is happening during that time too but no expectations. All dogs are different and progress at different speeds. There is no "your dog should be able to do this at 3, 6, 9 months". If it survives the puppy stage, its already surpassed all expectations lol
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:30 pm

Keep training short - 15 min or less. Once in the AM and once after work.

Keep it fun. End on a positive note.

Socialize, Socialize, etc.

Let them run fields (no roads). Chase butterflies, rabbits, trash birds.

Let them get dirty in mud puddles, cattle tanks, roll in deer scat.

The first year is the pups year, let him be a pup. He will be your hunting partner for the next 10-15 years, take your time.

You wouldn't send you first grade child to a highschool math class.

Have fun!!

Dmak1965

Post by Dmak1965 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:25 pm

I'm new to gun dogs. Got at french brit first for a pal for my 10 year old second to maybe hunt over. Has got great pedigree and from early evaluation by professional trainer is very "birdy". I've had him for about 2 months and couldn't be happier. His energy level is taking a bit of getting used to but like some of the posters said you need to let them run. My only regret was getting him in the middle of one of the coldest winters we've had. It made it difficult to socialize him. I made the decision to send him to a professional trainer for a month mainly for the socialization. We had a family vacation planned and I would have spend nearly as much to board him as I am paying what I feel is a great trainer to care/train him for an entire month. The hardest part for me was leaving him. He as been with me nearly Avery minute since I've had him. I'm very confident in the trainer I have chosen and reading some of the posts just confirmed my choice as he has said verbatim what must of you have said. Two of the biggest things I had to "get" myself were letting him run off leash and letting him be a puppy. I guess my only question is, had adversely will the lack of socializing him in his first few months affect him and will this month with the trainer have a major impact on correcting it?

Thanks and I look forward to your thoughts.