Dog stop listening at home

Builderman21

Post by Builderman21 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:07 pm

This is my first GSP and I know they are very thick headed at times. She is 7 months old and listens great while hunting or I should say running as we are just running her and shooting over her right now. But my problem is at home. I tell her to come and she either ignores me or stops 3 ft away and as soon as I try to pull her to me and correct her she bolts. If I put a leash or shock color on she listens immediately. And I know the puppy mentally plays in too as works is busy and she's in a kennel most the day and puts herself to bed at 930. How do I go about her listening better? It seems that we have gone over come numerous times and she knows what it means.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog stop listening at home

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:45 pm

Give the command ONCE only. Enforce it immediately. If you cannot enforce it (if she is outside and you don't have a hold of her checkcord) then DO NOT give the command. NEVER give a command when you are not in a position to enforce it, EVER. This is the building block (IMO) for everything to come. If you let the dog get away with it once, or you have to give a command 3 times before she comes, then you are just teaching her that she can choose not to obey.

How then, can you do this? The dog cannot be "out of your control" if you feel the need to be giving commands. She must either be dragging a checkcord all the time (which is a viable option) or if she is totally collar conditioned, then she never leaves the house without the collar on. She can drag a small cord in the house if you are having issues with her responding in the house.

oldbeek

Re: Dog stop listening at home

Post by oldbeek » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:58 pm

My pup tried to play the same game. I am an old guy. She was dragging the perpetual 20 ft check cord. She thought she was out of range with a 50 ft head start. She was amazed when I ran her down. When I got to her ,I just scolded her BAD GIRL! Never had the problem again. It amazed me to. :D

Builderman21

Post by Builderman21 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:22 pm

She does not wear a collar in the house anymore but outside she always is on a leash or e collar. This was a double post, it showed up this morning but last night the second one showed up and has been very helpful. If someone can combine the two please