Not listening at home

Builderman21

Not listening at home

Post by Builderman21 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:31 pm

I have a 7 month old GSP female who seems to be going through terrible 2s at home. In the field she's great for only being out a few times with the severe cold. Besides not fetching yet. At home she seems to forget come and is extremely wild. If I put a leash or shock collar on she calms right down and listens right away. Just like if I throw a toy and tell her fetch she brings it right back outside I throw a toy and she sniffs it and walks away. We had the come and sit very good then it seems like one day she decided not to. What is the best way to correct these issues?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Not listening at home

Post by Sharon » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:31 pm

Pretty common for 7 months. Give the command ONCE and then get up and enforce it - go get the dog etc. Dogs learn from habit.
Leash is a good idea, but I've never found an e collar to be necessary in the house. If you can get your hands on the dog , I don't think an e collar is necessary.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Builderman21

Not listening at home

Post by Builderman21 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:15 am

Is this the age where they try and show dominance that way?

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:41 am

Sharon's right. You say it once and reinforce it. A few weeks back I called my dog back inside from the deck door. She ran halfway and stopped, balking on the command. I walked outside without shoes or socks in my bathrobe to enforce the command. My feet were only momentarily cold, but she hasn't done it since.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:49 am

Its not "dominance"... that is a term thrown around too often. Dogs' behaviors will slip any time there's a slip in consistency. Up until this point she has done what you've told her and so you've probably eased up on her because she's a "good dog". Now she's a bit bigger and learning independence (not dominance) and has probably tested a couple times and got away with it so she is continuing to do so. Give her a command and enforce it if she doesn't follow it. Follow this advice throughout her life. Dogs are smart - they will manipulate when they believe they can, just like kids.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:39 pm

Builderman21 wrote:Is this the age where they try and show dominance that way?
IMO, you will need to let her know her place in the pack. Dogs are pack animals and if you let them become the leader, they will not listen to you. My Brittany would not listen when he was younger, and when we changed the way we did things around the house he started to listen. Make her wait for your permission to eat. When she makes eye contact she is asking you if she can eat. Then tell her OK.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:42 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:Sharon's right. You say it once and reinforce it. A few weeks back I called my dog back inside from the deck door. She ran halfway and stopped, balking on the command. I walked outside without shoes or socks in my bathrobe to enforce the command. My feet were only momentarily cold, but she hasn't done it since.
LOL Well said. I've done that in -25 degrees Celsius with snow on the ground. Exactly what needs to be done every time. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Builderman21

Not listening at home

Post by Builderman21 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:49 pm

We do make her sit and wait to eat til we tell her. Now she plays around and won't eat right away so she gets one time to eat after that she sits in the kennel until my first cup of coffee is done.

Swampbilly

Post by Swampbilly » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:36 am

Sharon wrote:
mnaj_springer wrote:Sharon's right. You say it once and reinforce it. A few weeks back I called my dog back inside from the deck door. She ran halfway and stopped, balking on the command. I walked outside without shoes or socks in my bathrobe to enforce the command. My feet were only momentarily cold, but she hasn't done it since.
LOL Well said. I've done that in -25 degrees Celsius with snow on the ground. Exactly what needs to be done every time. :)
+1!
Don't give a command that you're not in a position to re-enforce 8)

smittty

Post by smittty » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:37 am

if one of mine don't listen in the house all I have to do is say I'll get that collar out then they do as asked ... just to be clear they love when I take the collars out on the norm because they know there going to work

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:11 am

Keeping dog's in the house is a terrifice opportunity to train the dog. If you are dilligent in the reinforcement of commands, you end up with a wonderfully trained dog that you can take anywhere. If she now disobeys in the house, she soon will in the field and it's a heck of a lot easier to catch and correct her in the house.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:18 pm

young dogs get diss.. very easy but don't let him get away with it . if the dog wont mind at home. hes not going to listen when birds start flying