NA test at Carolina Chapter

evans213

NA test at Carolina Chapter

Post by evans213 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:28 am

I am going to be testing at the Carolina's Chapter next weekend 3/20-22 is anyone else going?

Also, what should I do this weekend and next week end to get her "dialed" in? When the birds are out she is a fire ball, I think she will do good there, but when/if she catches one her recall is not that desirable. I know not to give her a command unless the judge says to. She does great with recall when I have treats and the intensity isn't turned up by birds. I am going to check cord her and really reinforce HERE this week. Her water retrieve is good, we are going to play with that some this week to like normal, and I think she will do good with tracking because she has a killer nose and is just bird crazy, if she smells one she is gonna find it. All I'm concerned with is her recall with the birds flying, I have just let her be a pup and not been very hard or applied pressure to her yet, I will start that after the test, she is 10 months old BTW.

Fun dog

Re: NA test at Carolina Chapter

Post by Fun dog » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:42 pm

Just have fun and try not to stress as the pup will pick up on that.

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:47 pm

Just go run your dog and have fun. Natural Ability, JH, Puppy stakes etc is all about natural abilities not who trained the most. At that age the only thing they can do wrong is fight. There is plenty of time later in the pups life to work towards polished work. Whats important is you are working with your pup while it is young, developing its abilities. You have developed drive so you know you have something to work with as the dog matures.

evans213

Post by evans213 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:24 pm

I have to say that my nerves are a little on edge and its still a week away. Not because I want to look good but I want my puppy to look great and carry a good name for Ridge Point Kennels. She is really a great little pup and has all the natural ability in the world, heck she slammed point on her first bird ever at 8 months and held it like a champ until she couldn't take anymore. Her recall just worries me a little because she gets so fired up over birds she sometimes says the heck with you I want more birds. But thats just the pup in her, I guess.

Thanks for the words of encouragement!!!!!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:13 pm

I have to say that my nerves are a little on edge and its still a week away. Not because I want to look good but I want my puppy to look great and carry a good name for Ridge Point Kennels
OK you are nervous but someone isn't
She is really a great little pup and has all the natural ability in the world, heck she slammed point on her first bird ever at 8 months and held it like a champ until she couldn't take anymore
See this person says there is no problem.

Relax and let her do her thing.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

evans213

Post by evans213 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:01 pm

Well put ezzy....lol. I have been lurking the forum for about a year now learning from everything I can. I am from bristol tn and get to hunt the Appalachian mnts. Hard to find birds and the few times we went out this year we did have any luck. She hunts the whole time. Anyway, I am excited about the test. I appreciate all the calming comments. We are going to go down Friday and scope out the testing site and take her some where around there and let her run and just get out and walk about. Saturday we are going to go watch some testing, both NA and UT, and Sunday is when we test. My dad is going with me and him and some buddies of his used to hunt field trails a little so it will be much help having him there.

evans213

Post by evans213 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:20 pm

I worked with her yesterday with my dad, the goal was to see if she was going to show any signs of gun shyness. We started with a .22 pistol, we set out a couple birds and let her find em, when she did dad shot into the ground about 75 yards behind us. Not even a flinch. On the second bird he was about 30 yards behind us, same thing, she didn't even blink. The third time he was directly behind us, and she didn't even twitch a toe nail. So we got the 20 gauge with low brass shells and did the same thing, we just relocated the birds. She never so much as paid attention to the gun. She did break one of the birds legs so that was the sacrificial bird. I held her check cord with my foot and throw the bird up, dad was right beside us about 6 feet away in front of us, when he shot she ran for the hills, LOL just kidding, I let her go when it hit the ground and she brought it straight back to my hand. Needless to say I was like a kid loving on her in that field. the gun never one time bother her when she was on point or when he shot the one out of the air.

We also went to a family members pond, she made 4 great water retrieves with her bumper and I let her play the rest of the time.

I am getting so excited for this NA test!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :P :D :P

evans213

Post by evans213 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:07 pm

Will they let you use treats? Like at the water and when in the field and such?

volraider

Post by volraider » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:35 pm

No treats. They will let you use a bird for water but she will not need it. I can't wait to hear your scores.

evans213

Post by evans213 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:44 pm

Hey Brian, glad you chimed in here. What do you think about her gun shyness experience?

I was just curious about that. She won't need it. Those cut up hot dog wieners really motivate her though, lol.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:46 pm

Have fun at the NA test. :D

outdoorscribe

Post by outdoorscribe » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:02 am

I'm a member of the Carolinas Chapter.
the Sand Hills Game Land is a great venue.
Fred Rice is the test secretary and runs a great test. I believe we have 27 NA dogs and 8 Utility dogs this weekend.
You will have the best lunch at a test you've ever had.

evans213

Post by evans213 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:07 pm

Well we had a great time at the test and learned a lot. Also meet some great people. The food was awesome!!!! Now on to the test....

The sand hills management land was beautiful. What a great place to run a dog. We went down Friday evening and went on a nice walk about. Saturday we went to the test grounds and watched the NA Test and some UT. There were some great dogs running. After the NA test we went back to that field to let my dog get some exercise and she pointed 4 or 5 quial that were left hanging around. I started noticing her going out further and further so we stopped and went back to the motel. Saterday morning we arrived at the test HQ and got with our group. I was first up to run and she was ready to go to. Needless to say we went back to the same field to run the feild hunt part. She ran good then went left handed and showed me her tail. Came back up to the vehicals and got a died bird from someone. We got her back and I calmed her down. She went on and pointed one solid and when she creped in it flushed. She chased it and then pointed another. We couldnt see her point real good due to tall grass. It up and flew and she chased it. Caught her finally and test was over. I wasnt mad at her it was fault as i shouldn't have taken her there saterday and let her run. She found out she wasnt in the steep mountain back home and she didnt have to work for birds as there was probably 50 or more just walking around and she could just run and find one instead of working the field to find one. On to the track, it went great she track the bird probably 200 yards and slammed point and caught it. Went back up the hill and gave it to a man and laid down lol. The water went great swam out twice and got bumper.

We got a 98 prize 3. A 4 in everything but search and corporation due to the field part.

i wish we would've went to a different field where no one had been in yet and there were a lot less birds so she would have hunted it like normal. She has never done that back home a usually handles great with recall and hunting with me. She just seen that she didn't need me and wemt off on her own. Also she has never been around so much activity which made her wired anyway. Overall we had a great time and hope to retest in a few months.

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:39 pm

Congrats on your run. I got a real nice bitch at my house that was a prize 3 dog. She never knew she got a 3 instead of a 1.

I used to go run my dogs in a field or something when they were puppies before a test or something, but now they hang out at camp until its their turn even if its a 2 day wait.

Come check out one of our walking trials. There is a club in Eastern TN, our club in SC, Carolina's Pointing Dog Association and in the past we have had walking stakes for Ams at all of our trials.

evans213

Post by evans213 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:02 pm

I would like that PM me the info. I messed up by running her in that field the day/evening before. Once she realized she could run and find birds that's what she did. We plan on retesting if we can get in one close enough.

Yesterday at home she whoaed, sit, stay and came while my neighbors two dogs were out side running and my daughter and the neighbor kid was playing. She knows what to do just through me the finger and said "hunt for a bird, that's stupid I can run and find one easier!" But that's ok I still love her!