another question...

jbr03

another question...

Post by jbr03 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:27 pm

what kind of training should i be doing with my new puppy? so far ive been working on the ''come'' command when i take her outside and ''sit.'' shes been pretty responsive since she sits ALMOST everytime i tell her to (could be she just likes to sit at this young age) and comes about 80% of the time. i only spend about 5 or so minutes getting her to sit or lay down and im always trying to get her to come when we're outside. is there such a thing as over training a puppy? also, should i be exercising her other than when shes running around outside when im waiting for her to go potty and when she plays with other dogs for a couple hours a day?

NVgsp

Post by NVgsp » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:44 pm

Might be opening a can of worms, but I would stop all "sit" work until after your dog is "whoa" broke. You will get many different opinions here.

At 7 weeks old, just get your pup used to its name. Be his buddy. Do everything together. Socialization is key...take your pup everywhere and introduce it to all kinds of people: kids, adults, tall, short... This will all help in future developement.

Personally, I think the most important words that you will be using now are "name", "no" and "go potty." :) Remember keep it fun. The training will come later.
Chris

blanked

Post by blanked » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:45 pm

dont teach sit. thats a no no for pointers. i wouldnt bring that young of a pup around other dogs or even where other dogs have been. might get parvo. i would take pup for walks ( away from other dogs ) to show him its a big world and learn not to be so dependant on being so close to you.
come is good and also get pup to retrieve training dummies. keep it short so you end it with pup wanting more. i wouldnt do any more obediance training than come and house rules. too much obediance will cause pup to work too close to you. pointers need to have confidence to run well beyond the shot gun range. i prefer up to 200 yards as habitat allows it.

jbr03

Post by jbr03 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:48 pm

NVgsp wrote:Might be opening a can of worms, but I would stop all "sit" work until after your dog is "whoa" broke. You will get many different opinions here.

how should i go about the "whoa" command? just tell her whoa and hope she stays?

NVgsp

Post by NVgsp » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:54 pm

official whoa work shouldnt be taught until later, you can do some preliminary work with saying whoa before you feed the pup and stuff like that. remember to keep it fun.

If you can, purchse the Perfect Start video. It will show you a lot more then words on a forum. Check it out...kinda pricy, but worth every cent. Also, the Puppy Development video by the Smiths is another good one.
Chris

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:59 pm

You should teach all the words you what them to understand and get them familiar with what they mean. But don't force them into compliance yet. Example playing fetch in the hallway is a game that teaches the basic of retrieving but it's not force fetch. I think you can do the same with whoa as you hold them in place to put a collar on them or brushing them. Be patient in how fast they'll learn to obey, but use as many everyday events for them to teach your training words.
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:21 pm

For now, when shes just standing in one place. IF she ever does stop moving. Just say whoa, then praise her. Have fun with it, then start showing her what it really meants later.

Dude

Post by Dude » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:03 pm

I am teaching my 3.5 month old come, pen up, and play fetching, as well as some whoa work before I feed her and let her inside. She is also learning house manners and what no means. I am really suprised at how smart she is. For instance I started the teaching 'pen up' for her to get in the kennel and also her crate. Now I can just say get in or just snap and point. George Evans talks about a dogs vocabulary and I agree that its talking down to a dog to tell it to 'pen up' when you want it to get in the truck or car. I'm just learning stuff myself but from reading and discussing with others as well as my limited experience I think it is important to start early with introduction to commands and training. The pup won't be able to handle the high pressure of really intensive training and should be avoided to keep from creating a "broke" dog in the bad sense of the word. In short let the dog tell you what it can handle I've been suprised in the learing ability of mine. She's still a stubborn pup sometimes though.

Dude

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:54 pm

There's a lot of differing opinion on whether to teach sit, down, etc. Many of the people today train a pointer just like any other dog. If it's to live in the house, it has to sit when told, lie down, come, etc. They may sit to point in training but you just teach them to stand up. On wild birds they won't do it. This is where the controversy comes in. I figure if the dog's too stupid not to learn to stand on point, I don't want him anyhow. Mine duck hunt also so they learn to lay at or in a blind and take hand signals also. To each their own, there's really no right and no wrong. Do what makes sense to you for the way your pup will be used.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:59 pm

We have had many many discussions about "SIT" and the consenus is you do not teach it to puppies because orf the problems that MAY come up later. This is from amatuer and pro trainers so I think it only makes sense to learn from others and not tempt fate.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:33 pm

Here's is the deal, as I have seen it in my experience. You can teach sit to any dog you want to. Why you would want to teach it to a pointer I don't know, but that is up to you. The issue is one of timing.

When it comes time to teach a dog whoa in the yard, or to get it staunch on birds, or to make it broke (Steady to wing and flush) you will invariably put some amount of pressure on the dog. Among other things, you will probably restrain it with a check cord. If the dog has been taught to sit before that point, then there is a good chance you will have to teach it not to sit in response to the pressure you put on it. It is not impossible to undo the problem. But for beginning trainers in particular, it is an issue, and something you will have to figure out how to deal with. Best to avoid it to the extent possible by teaching sit later in the whole process, after the dog is staunch of broke.

Versatile dog people like to teach it early. They do alot of water work, duck retrieving. I personally don't teach sit ever. But I have had to work out the knots in some dogs that were taught to sit before they were trained around birds, and it is a pain. Not impossible, but a pain.

So you make up your own mind.

hjackson

Post by hjackson » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:43 pm

we have taught all of our GSPs to sit and have never had a problem with it. I have also always been told not to teach a conformation dog to sit and all of ours are basic obedience trained and most competition obedienc trained while conformation trained - same with our GSPs some are compeition obedience trained while field training and 2 have conformation training added to the mix. I haven't had a dog yet get confused.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:03 pm

I also taught my dog to sit. Lucky for me hes not soft anymore, so he doesn't sit when were trying to staunch/break him. However, I will not be teaching my next pup to sit, or at least until after hes broke. Not that it cant be done, but whoa works just as good as sit. And "I don't want to tempt fate".