Pup is bad on leash

getzapped

Pup is bad on leash

Post by getzapped » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:10 pm

I have my first official problem that is making me crazy. This dog will not walk on a leash. She pulls all over the place. It is really frustrating because she picks up all other command really fast. If i stand still and tell her heel she comes right to my left side just her head in front of my left knee. As soon as i start to walk she runs to the end of then line. I immediately stop amd sometimes she will return to my side without a command. But same thing whem i start to walk. Sometimes i may turn around when she hits the end of the leash but she just turns and runs in front to tight leash again. The only time i can get her to stay on loose leash is if i am dangling a piecenof salami in front of her. I have been working on this for. 3 weeks 1/2 hour or longer 6 days a week. I need some of your expertise. Thanks in advance.

luvthemud

Re: Pup is bad on leash

Post by luvthemud » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:28 pm

getzapped wrote:I have my first official problem that is making me crazy. This dog will not walk on a leash. She pulls all over the place. It is really frustrating because she picks up all other command really fast. If i stand still and tell her heel she comes right to my left side just her head in front of my left knee. As soon as i start to walk she runs to the end of then line. I immediately stop amd sometimes she will return to my side without a command. But same thing whem i start to walk. Sometimes i may turn around when she hits the end of the leash but she just turns and runs in front to tight leash again. The only time i can get her to stay on loose leash is if i am dangling a piecenof salami in front of her. I have been working on this for. 3 weeks 1/2 hour or longer 6 days a week. I need some of your expertise. Thanks in advance.
My last GSP was the same way. One day with a poke collar on a short lead and the problem was solved. Literally took only a few times of feeling that and he wasnt pulling anymore. Would give the lead a quick yank and say "heel" and whoolah. Problem solved. After a few days I could walk him without a leash, and did quite often actually. When I said "heel" he stuck to my side like glue.

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:32 pm

Just a standard prong collar?

luvthemud

Re:

Post by luvthemud » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:52 pm

getzapped wrote:Just a standard prong collar?
Yup. Not sure if it was the "right way", but it certainly worked for my crazy GSP. After 6 days i never used the collar anymore and he was the best dog to walk I have ever seen. Like mentioned, I often times walked him with no leash.

Hoping the new pup takes to it as quickly.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:51 pm

when the dog runs to the end of the leash give a couple jerks on the leash.. not hard but quick jerks and change direction when the dog runs to the end jerk and change direction soon the dog will start looking for the change if the dog starts to ignore you jerk and change dir this has worked good for me

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:38 am

Coming from other training disciplines before getting involved with gun dogs, I had used many a method to get a dog to behave properly on leash. Also, what I was training for had a lot to do with how exactly I wanted a dog to act on the leash. Shortly after entering the bird dog world, curiosity got the better of me and I looked into the wonder lead and for what I think most people want out of their dog from hunting companion to family pet, I can hardly think of a better tool for quickly teaching a dog how he is to behave while on the leash. It doesn't accomplish anything that I'm unable to accomplish with other methods, but it does it faster and IMO, is much more straight forward in its application for novice trainers.

Vman

Post by Vman » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:03 am

One thing you may want to try and that is put the pup on a stake out and walk away. Be sure the pup cannot slip the collar, put it on tight. Be sure you have a good collar with a BUCKLE not a plastic snap that can break. Hook the pup up to the stake out and walk away. I like to go inside and watch through a window just to be sure the pup does not hurt themselves. The pup will have a fight with the stake out and chain. Once he submits to the stake and chain and is relaxed leave him there for a short period of time {10min} go get him and leash him up. Repeat this as needed. Usually a couple of times on the stake out and he will submit to the collar. Now you are ready for the wonder lead or prong collar or choke chain. Will make you training much easier.

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:24 am

Wonder lead is solving the pulling issue for my dog. Choke chains and prong collars, she would ignore them. She'd pull and be choking/gagging, but wouldn't stop. A few sessions on the wonder lead and she is much better. I only have to correct her now if she is really excited about something and forgets.

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:25 pm

Explain the stake out to me please.

I have a prong collar i may try it to see how she reaponds.

But if that dont get ill do the stake.

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:26 pm

I will look up wondee lead.

khaselow

Post by khaselow » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:37 pm

Here is what I have seen done at obedience classes.

Begin by teaching your dog to always attend to you while on a leash. This is taught by having the dog on a choke collar (one could use a flat collar for a pup or soft dog) and a 20 ft lead. Walk around the neighborhood and when the dog is not paying attention to you, briskly walk away from the dog. The dog will find himself suddenly at the end of the leash and will get a correction. Don't talk to the dog, don't acknowledge the correction. The dog is left to conclude that he caused this by not keeping track of you. He thinks you did nothing. Pretty soon your dog will be very motivated to keep track of you while on the leash.

Next, transition to a 6 ft lead. Walk the neighborhood again and tell him "heel", if he forges ahead respond by turning 180 degrees and walk in the opposite direction. He again will suddenly find himself getting a correction at the end of the leash. He will quickly learn that 6 ft ahead of you is not a good place to be. Any leash pulling ahead of you results in a rapid about face by you and a correction.

Then the heel is shaped by using turns. If he is too far away from you to the left (assuming the dog is heeling on the left) then you turn 90 degrees to the right and correct the dog and get him back in position. If he is just a little too far in front (or crowding you) then turn sharply to the left and walk into your dog. He will learn he needs to be at your left leg and slightly behind to avoid getting stepped on.

This can be a lot of corrections. It should be balanced with lots of praise and encouragement when the dog is in the correct position. Still needs to be a fun walk for the dog to be most effective.

good luck

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:45 pm

This is exactly what i have been trying. She is being very stubborn about it. She is more concerned with being front than if she loses me. I willncontinue to try and maybe attemt some firmer methods. A standard does nothing, nor does a choke chain. I

evans213

Post by evans213 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:32 pm

Take your leash and make it a slip line. By buckling it to itself or running the buckle three the hand hole. Slide it over the pups head and leave it loose then twist it one time making a finger 8. Slip the loose end over the pups nose. Make sure the part around her neck is up close to her ears. I seen a video posted on her a while back. I tried it and it works great for me. The pup might fight it for a minute but just keep walking and he will come on. When he tries to run forward just pull straight up.

Vman

Post by Vman » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:52 am

Explain the stake out to me please.
Not sure what there is to explain. This is a good stake out http://www.lcsupply.com/images/BSO.jpg If you order one be sure and get a good flat collar also. I prefer the http://www.lcsupply.com/images/DGS1nostripe.jpg .

Follow my instructions from above. The stake is a very nice tool to have. Comes in very handy and a must have in my opinion.
Now, if you are trying to take the dog for a walk on a long lead and it is pulling you around you can also put a flat collar around his waist. He may squirm and jump and try and chew it but he will get acclimated to it. Once he does you can hook up the long lead to that collar and the pulling will cease. This also gets the dog used to wearing a collar back there which can come in handy when or if you ever need to use and ecollar on the flank. NOTE: Do not try this unless supervised by a good trainer.{ecollar}

The other ways may work and eventually will. But every dog is different. What works for one may not work for another. The stake out works on all. He has to submit to the flat collar and lead. You can continue fighting him or you can have the stake/chain do it for you.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re:

Post by Sharon » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:11 pm

getzapped wrote:Explain the stake out to me please.

Pound a stake into the ground with a thick chain leash . Tie the dog to it. Go in the house. Let the dog learn that he can't win over the leash, so might as well give up. I watch the dog from the house ( where he can't see me) as I don't want him to get tangled.

There are proper set ups you can buy/make that have a swivel so the dog can be left. RECOMMENDED.

https://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=n ... s+for+dogs

( Long ago before swivels my Dad had a dog hang himself on a stake and a rope so I am cautious when it comes to stake outs.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:13 pm

I believe the stake out is the easiest on both the trainer & the dog as it takes the trainer completely out of the picture & the pup learns that he can't win the tug of war.The pup doesn't fight the trainer he is now fighting the stake out only.
An hour or 2 a day on the stake out for a few days will change his attitude towards the lead,this has been my experience!

Good Luck & enjoy your pup.

Swampbilly

Post by Swampbilly » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:17 pm

Sharon wrote:
getzapped wrote:Explain the stake out to me please.

Pound a stake into the ground with a thick chain leash . Tie the dog to it. Go in the house. Let the dog learn that he can't win over the leash, so might as well give up. I watch the dog from the house ( where he can't see me) as I don't want him to get tangled.
Sharon!
You forgot something...Mix yourself a drink :mrgreen:
Staking a dawg for some is general practice, but for me-
Just think the dog learns to "obey" the rope and stake. There's no human interface, err..well..yes there is---> when you un-tangle the critter. There's no command for the dog to associate anything with, he just runs, rope gets tight, he goes arse over teacups after his tongue shoots out 2 ft..

For me you've got a better shot at some sound O.B. when you're attached to the other end of a checkcord or lead. It's a grand opportunity for pup to learn that when he pulls, he gets no where and nothing good comes out of it. When he stops is when he can resume moving, but you get nothing when you pull, and there's some commands to learn in the process.

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:53 pm

Well that pinch collar worked before we got to the end of the block. The whole way back to the house, not ine pull and right by my side unless i let her go sniff around something.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:25 pm

khaselow wrote:Here is what I have seen done at obedience classes.

Begin by teaching your dog to always attend to you while on a leash. This is taught by having the dog on a choke collar (one could use a flat collar for a pup or soft dog) and a 20 ft lead. Walk around the neighborhood and when the dog is not paying attention to you, briskly walk away from the dog. The dog will find himself suddenly at the end of the leash and will get a correction. Don't talk to the dog, don't acknowledge the correction. The dog is left to conclude that he caused this by not keeping track of you. He thinks you did nothing. Pretty soon your dog will be very motivated to keep track of you while on the leash.

Next, transition to a 6 ft lead. Walk the neighborhood again and tell him "heel", if he forges ahead respond by turning 180 degrees and walk in the opposite direction. He again will suddenly find himself getting a correction at the end of the leash. He will quickly learn that 6 ft ahead of you is not a good place to be. Any leash pulling ahead of you results in a rapid about face by you and a correction.

Then the heel is shaped by using turns. If he is too far away from you to the left (assuming the dog is heeling on the left) then you turn 90 degrees to the right and correct the dog and get him back in position. If he is just a little too far in front (or crowding you) then turn sharply to the left and walk into your dog. He will learn he needs to be at your left leg and slightly behind to avoid getting stepped on.

This can be a lot of corrections. It should be balanced with lots of praise and encouragement when the dog is in the correct position. Still needs to be a fun walk for the dog to be most effective.

good luck
This is how I train heel and just walking loosely on lead in general. If the dog is real problematic a prong collar can be used - no dog will ignore a properly fitted and correctly used prong collar. How old is this pup in question? I wouldn't use a prong or choke on a pup under 5 or 6 months old
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:15 pm

5 months. Prong collar worked. Couple gentle tugs and she quit pulling.

CDN_Cocker

Re:

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:37 pm

getzapped wrote:5 months. Prong collar worked. Couple gentle tugs and she quit pulling.
Perfect. Always does. Get her used to not pulling and then you can lose the prong collar.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Eycee1

Post by Eycee1 » Sat May 09, 2015 8:42 am

glad you posted this i'm having the exact same issue with my 6 month old lab!! she's just terrible on leash and will pull until she chokes and gags and ignores the corrections no matter how hard, i understand she's a puppy and wants to go smell and explore everything but she needs to learn manners on leash. Someone gave me a choke training chain maybe ill use that first and if all else fails i'll get a prong collar of make the slip lead and then figure 8 it over her nose. This has been going on for months. Thanks for posting this and thanks for everyones replies!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat May 09, 2015 12:15 pm

I would put the pup on a chain gang https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 2f14b4ef1b

Let the pup learn about restriction with out you in the picture ...Supervise from a distance and just let the pup fight it out between the pup and the chain ..once the pup settles down then put a short leash on and let the pup run around and step on the leash remain still until the pup settles down...
after a couple sessions like this pup will start to give in to the leash ...Then you can start walking and just change directions speically turning 45 degrees away and if the pup doesn't change to go with you allow the pup to hit the end of the lead and have to catch up with you.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat May 09, 2015 2:25 pm

getzapped wrote:I have my first official problem that is making me crazy. This dog will not walk on a leash. She pulls all over the place. It is really frustrating because she picks up all other command really fast. If i stand still and tell her heel she comes right to my left side just her head in front of my left knee. As soon as i start to walk she runs to the end of then line. I immediately stop amd sometimes she will return to my side without a command. But same thing whem i start to walk. Sometimes i may turn around when she hits the end of the leash but she just turns and runs in front to tight leash again. The only time i can get her to stay on loose leash is if i am dangling a piecenof salami in front of her. I have been working on this for. 3 weeks 1/2 hour or longer 6 days a week. I need some of your expertise. Thanks in advance.
:) .Your mates and pals on here obviously have a plethora of experience and advice for which I'm sure you will follow.
No advice from me in this 'experienced' company.
Just a question?.Whatever you have been doing for the last 3 weeks for 1/2 an hour 6 days a week has obviously not been working. So why have you kept on doing it ?
I read your post several times and concluded that you have all the answers to your issue in your post
Have you ever considered teaching a pup to walk next to you with No lead ?..Then pop the lead on when it has learned to be with you ? It may be a battle that requires no conflict ?

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Sat May 09, 2015 4:35 pm

My pup is good! We got it worked out! Not sure why you jumped in 2 months after i posted this! Why did i continue to do it? Because she is just a pup and i was being patient with her. When i wasnt progressing in the training thats when i asked fore help. But i did take everyones advice into consideration and found what worked.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Re:

Post by polmaise » Sat May 09, 2015 5:22 pm

getzapped wrote: Not sure why you jumped in 2 months after i posted this!
Oh! No reason really regarding time . just after it was replied to by the previous two posters yesterday :roll: :wink: