Wide Running Dog

Canadian

Wide Running Dog

Post by Canadian » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:23 pm

I've got a 17 month old female GSP. From the time I got her at 8 weeks, I've worked on training her in some fashion everyday. At 16 weeks I put her through a 10 week AKC novice obedience course lead by a pro trainer, that was followed by another 10 week AKC open obedience course led by the same pro trainer. Both of those courses were done with a choke and lead. That got her to about 10 months of age. After that I transitioned her to an eCollar with another pro trainer. To date, she's likely got 500+hrs of training under her belt.

Needless to say she's quite obedient but there is one thing I'm struggling with and I was hoping some other gun dog owners could help point me in the right direction.

I'll start by saying I do not hunt. I know GSPs need to run so I hike with her everyday for about an hour. We hike far away from any roads or traffic so it's safe to let her off lead. We live in Las Vegas, so it's desert territory... low shrubs and I can see her far away. If I ask her to heel, she stays put on my left side. She's a GSP, so she needs the occasional reminder not to forge forward, but she does really well.

Here's the thing, the minute I release her with an OK, she takes off running. She averages likely a 100 yard distance from me at all times, hunting her heart out. I can recall her at any time with a command or whistle, but the minute I release her, she's back to her 100 yard distance.

How can I reign her in a little bit? Maybe keep her 10-30 yards. I'm worried that one day we'll lose sight of each other and she'll not know how to get back to me. ALSO, having her range at 100 yards isn't so bad when there is little cover, but when we get into thicker cover I lose sight of her right away.

I'm guessing GSPs are prone to doing this a bit. My brother has a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever the same age and he stays 5-10 yards all the time.

Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated. I just bought Delmar Smiths Book "Best way to train your gun dog". Maybe that will have some insight.
Chris Thornham

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Wide Running Dog

Post by Sharon » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:49 pm

Canadian wrote:I've got a 17 month old female GSP. From the time I got her at 8 weeks, I've worked on training her in some fashion everyday. At 16 weeks I put her through a 10 week AKC novice obedience course lead by a pro trainer, that was followed by another 10 week AKC open obedience course led by the same pro trainer. Both of those courses were done with a choke and lead. That got her to about 10 months of age. After that I transitioned her to an eCollar with another pro trainer. To date, she's likely got 500+hrs of training under her belt.

Needless to say she's quite obedient but there is one thing I'm struggling with and I was hoping some other gun dog owners could help point me in the right direction.

I'll start by saying I do not hunt. I know GSPs need to run so I hike with her everyday for about an hour. We hike far away from any roads or traffic so it's safe to let her off lead. We live in Las Vegas, so it's desert territory... low shrubs and I can see her far away. If I ask her to heel, she stays put on my left side. She's a GSP, so she needs the occasional reminder not to forge forward, but she does really well.

Here's the thing, the minute I release her with an OK, she takes off running. She averages likely a 100 yard distance from me at all times, hunting her heart out. I can recall her at any time with a command or whistle, but the minute I release her, she's back to her 100 yard distance.

How can I reign her in a little bit? Maybe keep her 10-30 yards. I'm worried that one day we'll lose sight of each other and she'll not know how to get back to me. ALSO, having her range at 100 yards isn't so bad when there is little cover, but when we get into thicker cover I lose sight of her right away.

I'm guessing GSPs are prone to doing this a bit. My brother has a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever the same age and he stays 5-10 yards all the time.

Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated. I just bought Delmar Smiths Book "Best way to train your gun dog". Maybe that will have some insight.
It's in the breeding /blood. A GSP is not a retriever. :) Let her do what she was bred to do in a safe area, but have a plan in case you lose her - highly unlikely, but it would make you feel better. Consider a beeper collar or Garmin GPS collar. The beep on a Dogtra 2500 B/T ( google) can be easily heard at 100 + yards in thick cover.

"How can I reign her in a little bit? Maybe keep her 10-30 yards." quote

I'm told a pro could do this , but why? Let her be what she was meant to be .... or trade her in for a spaniel. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

zjohn14

Wide Running Dog

Post by zjohn14 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:28 pm

Sharon wrote:
Canadian wrote:I've got a 17 month old female GSP. From the time I got her at 8 weeks, I've worked on training her in some fashion everyday. At 16 weeks I put her through a 10 week AKC novice obedience course lead by a pro trainer, that was followed by another 10 week AKC open obedience course led by the same pro trainer. Both of those courses were done with a choke and lead. That got her to about 10 months of age. After that I transitioned her to an eCollar with another pro trainer. To date, she's likely got 500+hrs of training under her belt.

It's in the breeding /blood. A GSP is not a retriever. :) Let her do what she was bred to do in a safe area, but have a plan in case you lose her - highly unlikely, but it would make you feel better. Consider a beeper collar or Garmin GPS collar. The beep on a Dogtra 2500 B/T ( google) can be easily heard at 100 + yards in thick cover.

"How can I reign her in a little bit? Maybe keep her 10-30 yards." quote

I'm told a pro could do this , but why? Let her be what she was meant to be .... or trade her in for a spaniel. :)
Agree!!! If my dogs after only ranging 30 or 40 yards im pissed an or worried there sick. Sometimes my dogs will range out 300 or 400 yards an farther I've never lost one of my dogs, gsp's are not close working just like Sharon stated they are breed to be big running dogs

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:56 pm

Sounds like a fantastic dog. Get a gps collar and let her go.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:43 pm

Remember you might get lost but it is doubtful your dog will whether you can see her or not.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Canadian

Post by Canadian » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:48 pm

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I really appreciate it. I felt like "she was just being a GSP" but I wasn't sure if it needed to be addressed OR if it was considered bad practice to let a dog range that far. Ezzy333, you mentioned that I may get lost but she won't... One day we did get separated. I had a GPS running watch on her that day just to see how far she was traveling. The GPS watch didn't send me any "live" positional data but it did record where she went so I could download it later. After looking for her for some time, we found her sitting at my truck. When I downloaded the file, she had run up and down our regular trail 2 or 3 times before she decided to stop and wait at my truck for more than 30 minutes until we returned.

Smart little buggers aren't they!

I might take your advice on the GPS collar. That is a good idea.

Thanks again.
Chris Thornham

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:37 pm

This is where research of a breed and a good breeder who will advise you well about the dog and breed prior to purchase is a big help.

As to your dog -- if 100 yards is the max range she is hitting then and you have control and recall at that distance I would say get used to it because that is the type of dog you bought.

I will second what Ezzy says - you may loose the dog but it is not likely the dog will loose you - they are much better at keeping track of us than we are of keeping track of them.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:27 pm

I would also add, it would be a big injustice to the dog to force her to stay 30 to 40 yrds. out, even if you could. Let that dog run!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Canadian

Post by Canadian » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:50 pm

Thanks again guys! I think a lot of my concern stemmed from a trainer I worked with. He told me that a dog who didn't naturally settle into a heel position should never be trusted. I guess that was bad advice. Hearing everyone say this is normal for the breed makes me feel a lot better.

slistoe, you are right. I can lose sight of her for a minute or so, have walked a couple hundred yards, and then out of nowhere she is right beside me again. She seems to always know where I am.

Charlie, I'll let her run!

Now to figure out what GPS collar to buy ;)
Chris Thornham

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:21 am

Even though you don't hunt, your dog hopefully has it bred into her to hunt. I suggest you get that pooch out and let her do what her genetics are telling her to do. The up side is that you will also learn to trust her, she you and you will both have a good time. When you see her doing what she was bred to do..... you will like it!

Here is a club in Las Vegas..... hook up with them!!! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Las-Vega ... 1731913336

Enjoy!!!
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:43 am

Canadian wrote:Thanks again guys! I think a lot of my concern stemmed from a trainer I worked with. He told me that a dog who didn't naturally settle into a heel position should never be trusted. I guess that was bad advice. Hearing everyone say this is normal for the breed makes me feel a lot better.

slistoe, you are right. I can lose sight of her for a minute or so, have walked a couple hundred yards, and then out of nowhere she is right beside me again. She seems to always know where I am.

The Garmin Astro is a great unit. It works well in thick cover, and allows you to know where your dog is and their distance.

Canadian

Post by Canadian » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:46 am

fuzznut,

I'll definitely check those guys out! Thanks for the advice.

ruffbrit4,

I'll check that collar out. Thanks for the advice. I might try the Alpha since it give me the eCollar and the GPS in one.
Chris Thornham

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:19 am

Canadian wrote:Thanks again guys! I think a lot of my concern stemmed from a trainer I worked with. He told me that a dog who didn't naturally settle into a heel position should never be trusted. I guess that was bad advice. Hearing everyone say this is normal for the breed makes me feel a lot better.

Pretty sure most every pointing dog owner would think there dog was sick if it settled into the heel position and none that I have ever seen would do it naturally. Most are very good at keeping track of you unless bred otherwise......................Cj

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:29 am

100 yds is really close for a shorthair. Probably all the obedience and recalling before it's out of hearing range. My shorthair will hunt mostly 200 - 400 yds but at times will be out at 800 - 900 yds which often is out of sight. I got an alpha which really makes you feel more connected and the terror of loosing your dog goes away. The comfort that it brings is well worth the money. It also has a tone that you can train as a quiet recall. Also you can mark your vehicle on the gps units which at times can be handy. Even not being a hunter I hope you find an area with game birds. I'm sure you and the pooch would really enjoy that. Watching your dog work some birds could really bring some extra enjoyment to the walks.

Have fun
Greg J.

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:23 am

Hi Canadian,

I live in Vegas myself and have a pointer, shoot me a pm if you want to get the dogs together at some time. I agree the 100 yards is not an issue, and also second looking to get your dog on some game birds if possible. Re beepers, I note that with the wind and arroyos here, depending on where you are you may or may not hear a beeper, though if you condition it as a recall tone the dog definitely will hear it, assuming you're line of sight enough to be able to transmit to it.

Just a head's up that the snakes are active now in areas likely to hold birds near town.

If there are times or locations where you want her much closer than 100 yards, consider a bike joring or cani cross or other "roading" setup to let her get a workout by pulling.

Canadian

Post by Canadian » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:04 pm

cjhills wrote:

Pretty sure most every pointing dog owner would think there dog was sick if it settled into the heel position and none that I have ever seen would do it naturally. Most are very good at keeping track of you unless bred otherwise......................Cj
Glad to hear this! I kept thinking it had to be part of what pointers "just do". She is very good at keeping track of me. It's quite impressive.
Chris Thornham

Canadian

Post by Canadian » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:08 pm

greg jacobs wrote:100 yds is really close for a shorthair. Probably all the obedience and recalling before it's out of hearing range. My shorthair will hunt mostly 200 - 400 yds but at times will be out at 800 - 900 yds which often is out of sight. I got an alpha which really makes you feel more connected and the terror of loosing your dog goes away. The comfort that it brings is well worth the money. It also has a tone that you can train as a quiet recall. Also you can mark your vehicle on the gps units which at times can be handy. Even not being a hunter I hope you find an area with game birds. I'm sure you and the pooch would really enjoy that. Watching your dog work some birds could really bring some extra enjoyment to the walks.

Have fun
Greg J.
Greg,

I take her daily to a hike with birds and rabbits for her to point/chase. It let's her just be a dog and lets her have fun after the obedience training. I keep obedience training fun too but school is school ;). I would agree that the training I have done with her has taught her to stay closer to me than if I would have let her run wild without any training. Maybe it's not the most natural thing for her to do, but part of me likes the security of having her a little closer. Specifically since I don't hike. Thanks for the advice on the Alpha. I'll check it out.
Chris Thornham

Canadian

Post by Canadian » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:14 pm

Nutmeg247 wrote:Hi Canadian,

I live in Vegas myself and have a pointer, shoot me a pm if you want to get the dogs together at some time. I agree the 100 yards is not an issue, and also second looking to get your dog on some game birds if possible. Re beepers, I note that with the wind and arroyos here, depending on where you are you may or may not hear a beeper, though if you condition it as a recall tone the dog definitely will hear it, assuming you're line of sight enough to be able to transmit to it.

Just a head's up that the snakes are active now in areas likely to hold birds near town.

If there are times or locations where you want her much closer than 100 yards, consider a bike joring or cani cross or other "roading" setup to let her get a workout by pulling.
That's some great advice. I thought the exact same thing about the beeper. With our winds, I questioned if you could hear it.

Also, I appreciate the advice on the snakes. I didn't know that snake season was on. We hike in the Red Rock area daily so I'll have to be careful. I've seen a few rattlesnakes mountain biking and even road biking in that area.

Where do you take your pointer?

Thanks again!
Chris Thornham

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:21 pm

Canadian wrote:

That's some great advice. I thought the exact same thing about the beeper. With our winds, I questioned if you could hear it.

Also, I appreciate the advice on the snakes. I didn't know that snake season was on. We hike in the Red Rock area daily so I'll have to be careful. I've seen a few rattlesnakes mountain biking and even road biking in that area.

Thanks again!
Calico Basin is pretty dog-friendly on the near side of Red Rocks, and south of 160 is good there. When it gets hotter, the PWC beach at Lake Mead is a good place to take dogs for a swim; while there may be a leash regulation, I've never had an issue with having my dog in the water off-leash.

In town, if you're in Summerlin I don't know what the situation is re washes turned into greenways, but in many parts of town those washes are good for letting your dog run.

The big wash in Kyle Canyon is further for you but a fun one, as is anything north or south of the road to Nelson. Also the backside of Red Rocks off of Lovell Canyon has several dog-friendly areas and hikes.

Canadian

Post by Canadian » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:24 pm

Nutmeg247 wrote:
Canadian wrote:

Thanks again!
Calico Basin is pretty dog-friendly on the near side of Red Rocks, and south of 160 is good there. When it gets hotter, the PWC beach at Lake Mead is a good place to take dogs for a swim; while there may be a leash regulation, I've never had an issue with having my dog in the water off-leash.

In town, if you're in Summerlin I don't know what the situation is re washes turned into greenways, but in many parts of town those washes are good for letting your dog run.

The big wash in Kyle Canyon is further for you but a fun one, as is anything north or south of the road to Nelson. Also the backside of Red Rocks off of Lovell Canyon has several dog-friendly areas and hikes.
Nice! We just hiked in Calico for the first time the other day. There's some great terrain in there. We saw another GSP actually. We typically go to Kingman wash to let our dogs swim and retriever decoys. It's a great little spot.

I'll have to check out some of your other suggestions. They sound great. My brother and I often head up to the top of Charleston Blvd and take the last right before you hit Hwy 159. If you take that road all of the way to the top it turns into a dirt road. You can take that road way up into the desert and access some really quiet hikes that are great for dogs. There is quite a bit of broken glass out there but if you are careful it can be safe.
Chris Thornham

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:05 pm

My Brittany runs 300 to 600 yards. I run her in NSTRA. She finds lots of birds and will cover the 40 acres twice in 30 minutes. I also live in snake country. Get your dog to a snake avoidance class. We ran into a rattler just after her first avoidance class last year and found one in my yard this year. She alerted me with her frantic snake bark but kept her distance till I got there. I use a small ( 2inch) bell on my dog any time we are just out running and sometimes hunting. It keeps you aware of what area your dog is in, especially in heavy cover.