Long Marks- How to train

Lt1chevelle

Long Marks- How to train

Post by Lt1chevelle » Sun May 10, 2015 10:57 am

A lot of good info on this topic, just what I was looking for :!:

cooperdux

Re: Long Marks- How to train

Post by cooperdux » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:45 am

lots of good advice on here! You can get a DT or Lucky launcher new for $100 or sometimes find one used for 60-80. I fortunatly found mine slightly used at an outlet store. very slightly used for $70. I do train with a buddy once a week, but for the most part, im training solo. I would STRONGLY advise to make the investment. I have over $2k in equipment for my dog, and that $70 i spent on the launcher is worth its weight in gold IMO.

for a pup, i started with regular hand thrown at heel, until he was old enough to work on (and enforce) being steady. Then i would do a remote sit, start at 40 and work out past 100 yds hand thrown. eventually 150+.. also while i was working from heel to "kennel" (dog blind) at the same distance. and sometimes working both at the same time while i moved around out in front.

To start stretching the distance out on marks. get in a pasture, or big open field and have a buddy with you. have him hoot/hollar wave his hands and throw a 3" flasher (blk/wht) bumper for a good visual. depends on your dog how far you start but eventually extend the distance much farther than regular hunting scenerios. My thought process is that 100 yds in training, might be the equivilent to 60 yds in the field. May or may not be true, but if its not true it cant hurt lol

100 yd marks can be reached with even the canvas bumpers from a launcher.. AND with the right wind, load, and a small plastic bumper, your stretching it WAY past that. IMHO, a launcher is a great tool. JUST a tool... but an essential tool esp when training by yourself. I use my laucher AND mix in hand thrown bumpers for poision birds, memory marks, or multiples, and short water blinds (hand thrown while hes headed for a long mark from the launcher).

My buddy and i, stand about 75 yds apart each with our dogs and shoot the our launchers for eachother, stretching the distance. single marks, Doubles, long and short. and reinforcing steady.

Mix it up, set goals, use diff environments, train with a purpose, and have fun! Hunting season isnt far off:)